News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

yensidtlaw1969

A cheesy 90's kid's Halloween film? Whose quality essentially amounts to what one could find on Disney Channel in 2013? There's no doubting the second was a success on D+, but— and not to sound like a jerk —if I saw the IP plastered over a Disney theme park I'd probably cringe to death.

You'd cringe to death if you saw a spooky old house like this built back in the woods along the Rivers of America on your way to Villains Land? 🤨

1681525195963.png

It's fine if you dislike the property - I love the first one and disagree with your assessment that it's essentially a cheesy DCOM (however the second, despite its best intentions, was disappointing and does fall pretty squarely into that category) - but there's some solid production design in that first that could translate well to a park offering. The architecture of the house completely vibes with Liberty Square, and some sort of enhanced Meet and Greet like Enchanted Tales where the environment comes alive alongside the characters' appearance could be a great little B or C Ticket diversion.

Again, I don't imagine Disney is actually giving any thought to this. But The Sanderson Sisters' Castle Stage Show during the Halloween Parties is already massively popular, I think it would be well recieved if they gave them another place to make an appearance.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
What could they even do for a "New Frontierland" at this point? Disney doesn't have any popular "western" IPs, and the chances of Iger's Disney greenlighting a non-IP based attraction are pretty small...
They could move (and/or build new versions of) Pecos Bill Inn, Westward Ho, the Diamond Horseshoe, Big Al's, Golden Oak Outpost, the Trading Post, and the Shootin' Arcade to a "New Frontierland" that is in the "beyond Big Thunder" area, along with putting in Villains land, but I think an Encanto land should go in either Epcot or Animal Kingdom, and a Coco expansion of Epcot's Mexico pavilion should happen. Please remember that Bob Iger is only CEO of Disney again for two years per his contract, and two years from 2022, which was when Iger returned, is 2024. A new ideology for Disney could be made under Iger’s replacement that would involve more on creativity than "IP greed".

doctornick

It would be idiotic to retheme all of Frontierland (except BTMRR) to New Orleans and then spend a bunch of money building a new Frontierland in a different spot. Not to mention the operational impact of putting a bunch of Frontierland behind walls.

You want to build a New Orleans area for PatF? Sure… build it at the train station and going north from there. Put in Tiana’s restaurant and and whatever else you desire. But be efficient and sensible with spending money, don’t blow a wade of resources just to retheme and not add any capacity.

JustInTime

It would be idiotic to retheme all of Frontierland (except BTMRR) to New Orleans and then spend a bunch of money building a new Frontierland in a different spot. Not to mention the operational impact of putting a bunch of Frontierland behind walls.

You want to build a New Orleans area for PatF? Sure… build it at the train station and going north from there. Put in Tiana’s restaurant and and whatever else you desire. But be efficient and sensible with spending money, don’t blow a wade of resources just to retheme and not add any capacity.
Great point.

lazyboy97o

It’ll make the area more Disney.

KingMickey13

They could move (and/or build new versions of) Pecos Bill Inn, Westward Ho, the Diamond Horseshoe, Big Al's, Golden Oak Outpost, the Trading Post, and the Shootin' Arcade to a "New Frontierland" that is in the "beyond Big Thunder" area, along with putting in Villains land, but I think an Encanto land should go in either Epcot or Animal Kingdom, and a Coco expansion of Epcot's Mexico pavilion should happen. Please remember that Bob Iger is only CEO of Disney again for two years per his contract, and two years from 2022, which was when Iger returned, is 2024. A new ideology for Disney could be made under Iger’s replacement that would involve more on creativity than "IP greed".
You’ve been saying that for months but Disney is almost certainly going ahead with this.

MagicHappens1971

With what?

With posts like this. There are a dozen more.

I still don’t think this expansion is going to go through, since this was conceptualized during Bob Chapek’s tenure at Disney, and Bob Iger is trying to get rid of the stuff Chapek made now that he is back. I, in fact, agree with some of the comments here on the thread and think Epcot should get the Coco and Encanto stuff, though I think an Encanto attraction focusing on Antonio's animals would be much better for Animal Kingdom.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
New Orleans bears would def be news to me. I guess kinda like that scene in A Goofy Movie?

I had the same thought. Though can't decide if it'd be a good thing or bad.
Join the World Famous Country Bears on a Musical Tour of New Orleans in the all new Zydeco & Blues Revue with Opening Act Lester Possum's Bayou Band.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I don’t recall seeing an insider saying the Southern part of Frontierland was going to change (and why), but it is hip to dislike him in the community, I get it.

One of the things he mentions matches up something I heard back from D23. That doesn’t make it true, but it does support his story.
It’s a subtle change from
1681564016201.png

It’s only the CBJ piece that I had not heard. I was told we’d keep some of Frontierland so BTMRR isn’t an orphan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom