News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

UNCgolf

I don’t think it would remotely move the needle in the same fashion. It’s a pre show to a pavilion, no matter how much they play with it.

A revamped Imagination (that was good) could sell ILL for a period. That’s corporate “turbocharging”.

Now is this where I admit that I actually find the attraction ‘ok’? 😂

This is what I was trying to point out to some people in another thread (or maybe earlier in this one?) -- the SeaCabs were never intended to function as an attraction the way Nemo does now. That space wasn't really designed to hold a separate attraction; it was simply part of the pavilion's overall concept.

I think Nemo is awful, and that space would actually be much better if they just uncovered the aquarium windows and let you ride it as it originally existed even without the overall undersea base concept (I won't waste my time riding Nemo again but I would probably ride the omnimover with aquarium views just to relax), but it's not going to move the needle much regardless.

They aren't going to be able to build any kind of major attraction there because the space isn't designed for it, and the aquarium itself is the main draw. While Nemo isn't really helping anything, it's also not hurting -- people generally go there for the aquarium and Turtle Talk (and often skip the Nemo ride entirely).

The pavilion itself is still pulling its weight; that's not the case for Imagination.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
This is what I was trying to point out to some people in another thread (or maybe earlier in this one?) -- the SeaCabs were never intended to function as an attraction the way Nemo does now. That space wasn't really designed to hold a separate attraction; it was simply part of the pavilion's overall concept.

I think Nemo is awful, and that space would actually be much better if they just uncovered the aquarium windows and let you ride it as it originally existed even without the overall undersea base concept (I won't waste my time riding Nemo again but I would probably ride the omnimover with aquarium views just to relax), but it's not going to move the needle much regardless.

They aren't going to be able to build any kind of major attraction there because the space isn't designed for it, and the aquarium itself is the main draw. While Nemo isn't really helping anything, it's also not hurting -- people generally go there for the aquarium and Turtle Talk (and often skip the Nemo ride entirely).

The pavilion itself is still pulling its weight; that's not the case for Imagination.
Alternatively while Nemo is far from perfect I'd argue that "filler" rides with high capacity, low lines, appeal to kids, eat crowds, aren't a big draw themselves, are good even if not great, and make use of underutilized spaces without cutting much if anything of substance are exactly what Disney needs more of. The fact that Epcot has rides like Nemo or 3 Cabs is exactly why it tends to be the most pleasant park to visit.

Sure I'd love an expanded experience, but there's not space to do much more. And even with Nemo not being the most popular, I can't imagine "the thing that they got rid of for being unpopular but now with less of a story" being a bigger draw.

Parks need relatively cheap filler B/C-Tickets to round out there line up and keep the park from feeling overcrowded. Epcot gets that. Which is why aside from Imagination (and I'd say Spaceship Earth is seeming pretty rough and could use good long refurb if not a new version) is the only thing there that really needs it. DAK and Studios need a good mix of new high capacity draws AND they desperately need low budget but still pretty decent filler like Nemo

UNCgolf

Alternatively while Nemo is far from perfect I'd argue that "filler" rides with high capacity, low lines, appeal to kids, eat crowds, aren't a big draw themselves, are good even if not great, and make use of underutilized spaces without cutting much if anything of substance are exactly what Disney needs more of. The fact that Epcot has rides like Nemo or 3 Cabs is exactly why it tends to be the most pleasant park to visit.

Sure I'd love an expanded experience, but there's not space to do much more. And even with Nemo not being the most popular, I can't imagine "the thing that they got rid of for being unpopular but now with less of a story" being a bigger draw.

Parks need relatively cheap filler B/C-Tickets to round out there line up and keep the park from feeling overcrowded. Epcot gets that. Which is why aside from Imagination (and I'd say Spaceship Earth is seeming pretty rough and could use good long refurb if not a new version) is the only thing there that really needs it. DAK and Studios need a good mix of new high capacity draws AND they desperately need low budget but still pretty decent filler like Nemo

I completely agree with this in general -- my main issue with Nemo is that the space's original form was better even without the full surrounding concept (which was one of WDI's masterpieces). Nemo is actually a worse experience than just just letting you look into the aquarium.

Last edited:

seabreezept813

Agree x1000 here. Three Caballeros is fun, but it's excellent because you can just walk on and it feels like a bonus, especially after a visit to the margarita stands.

Sir_Cliff

Agree x1000 here. Three Caballeros is fun, but it's excellent because you can just walk on and it feels like a bonus, especially after a visit to the margarita stands.
I feel pretty much the same way. While Coco is perhaps my favourite Pixar film and I think a Coco attraction would be great, Gran Fiesta Tour seems to fit the space pretty perfectly as it's one of the few actually good rides you can still just walk onto. Moreover, the space seems to be designed for a ride that attracts almost exactly the wait GFT always has!

I'm not sure how unpopular this opinion is, but I actually quite like Gran Fiesta Tour as a ride. While a revamped El Rio del Tiempo would have been ideal, at least this is using an IP related to the host country to give guests a tour of that country.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Absolutely. I LOVE staying at a Crescent Lake resort because of the ease with which we can walk to Epcot any given evening, find good food, and actually get on some rides. That’s a complete package you can’t really find elsewhere. DAK is perhaps the closest because it tends to empty out but it closes early and can take awhile to get to. I can leave Beach Club and be on Figment (weak as it may be) in 20 minutes.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Absolutely. I LOVE staying at a Crescent Lake resort because of the ease with which we can walk to Epcot any given evening, find good food, and actually get on some rides. That’s a complete package you can’t really find elsewhere. DAK is perhaps the closest because it tends to empty out but it closes early and can take awhile to get to. I can leave Beach Club and be on Figment (weak as it may be) in 20 minutes.
20 minutes from Beach Club to Imagination? I walked from the Skyliner exit to row 408 of the Dory lot in 21 minutes last week. ;)

All kidding aside, I completely agree with you. The Skyliner opens up DHS as an evening option, as well, plus the 3 resorts on the line. And in the past, if you knew the secret, you could also get into Stormalong Bay even when not staying at YC/BC/BCV to boot. :cool:

ToTBellHop

20 minutes from Beach Club to Imagination? I walked from the Skyliner exit to row 408 of the Dory lot in 21 minutes last week. ;)

All kidding aside, I completely agree with you. The Skyliner opens up DHS as an evening option, as well, plus the 3 resorts on the line. And in the past, if you knew the secret, you could also get into Stormalong Bay even when not staying at YC/BC/BCV to boot. :cool:
What? Take the water slide in? Now I feel like they check for wristbands everywhere, thankfully.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
What? Take the water slide in? Now I feel like they check for wristbands everywhere, thankfully.
The secret is, order and eat a Kitchen Sink Sundae from Beaches and Cream by yourself. If you can remain floating in the pool for 15 minutes without sinking to the bottom, then you've earned the right to stay.

sWANNISAX

Moana belongs in Adventureland. Use that Shanghai pirates tech and build a great e ticket behind pirates and adventure land will be on the map.

Rejigger Frontierland as an easy to west progression. The bears in appalichia. Add more line trees and rocks. Leading into New Orleans around Tiana and then the far west with big thunder and ultimately Mexico. I think that progression fits the idea of the frontier very well from a westward expansion view. I would do giant villains section for the rest to connect back to mansion. And while there back there build the Asian Beauty and the Beast ride and connect it to Belles house. To plus up fantasyland. I'd take out the speedway and use that for some of the fantasy springs attractions. Maybe expand Peter Pan and then the old pan into tangled since we apparently can't get rid of small world.

As much as coco goes with Mexico in Epcot the space for a great ride isn't really there and I would rather they build out other countries. Give us a mulan attraction in China and poppins in UK.

If we're doing tropical americas the you can do encanto in Ak. I hate losing dinosaurs and feel like they should kept the Dino theming and build tropical just where hester and Chester's area is. Restuarantoaurus I think is well themed it's just the other side that isn't.

Hollywood you can do pretty much anything. The different studios as the lands always made the most sense to me but that ship has sailed. Something to take over all of the animation courtyard whether it's Zootopia or something all new would be preferable. Using those available marvel characters would be cool.

doctornick

I'm sure Food & Beverage doesn't feel that way... BOG practically prints money for the park... probably far more revenue than the Gift Shop Exit of even the most popular ride could generate.

If they wanted to add the Tokyo BatB ride to MK, I think the more logical way to do so would be to have the entrance/queue be from "Belle's village" and replace Gaston's and/or the shop. It would have to somehow (either the ride or the queue) take you over the access road north of that location to a show building north but it can be done.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
If they wanted to add the Tokyo BatB ride to MK, I think the more logical way to do so would be to have the entrance/queue be from "Belle's village" and replace Gaston's and/or the shop. It would have to somehow (either the ride or the queue) take you over the access road north of that location to a show building north but it can be done.

You'd have to somehow tie in the fact that the facade of BOG and the facade of this ride are both the Beast's castle - can't have two of those in MK. I'm sure if they wanted to they could figure that out (or maybe they don't care about show that much anymore).

doctornick

You'd have to somehow tie in the fact that the facade of BOG and the facade of this ride are both the Beast's castle - can't have two of those in MK. I'm sure if they wanted to they could figure that out (or maybe they don't care about show that much anymore).

There's no reason the façade of the ride has to be the castle. The context for MK could be that you start in the village and wander through the woods while in the queue to get to the castle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom