News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Rich Brownn

I know they remake films that don’t really need them from a story perspective because they print money, but you’re totally right that there’s a couple movies like Atlantis that make a lot of sense to remake. Hunchback and Treasure Planet are the other two movies that could really stand to benefit as well.

I genuinely don’t have a problem with franchise movies if they’re good. I really wish more of the remakes were fresh takes like A Star is Born or prequel/sequels like Cruella than unwatchable, uninspired rip-off movies like the Lion King remake.
Treasure Planet was such a huge bomb I'm pretty sure it isn't on their mind for a remake anytime soon. (For the record, I liked it, but felt in didn't lean into using the "in space" idea very much.)

Brer Panther

I'd prefer something based on ancient Greece/Rome with a ride based on Hercules and other mythological ideas (e.g ride about the Odyssey, Trojan War, myths in general) which fits into the "vibe" of MK better.
Ooh, that's a great idea.

I myself had an idea for some sort of arctic-themed land, a counterpoint of sorts to the warmer climates of Adventureland and Frontierland. Imagine some sort of roller coaster (though the park probably has enough of those already) aboard a bobsled through glowing ice caverns, maybe some sort of animatronic show or dark ride with Marc Davis-style arctic animals (polar bears, reindeer, seals, etc.), a play area for kids designed to be an abandoned researchers' camp... I think there's potential there.

Or, as somebody previously suggested, just make a new Toontown.
The problem is the ride vehicle and structure is so similar to Mickey’s and Rise that it would seem too repetitive. I agree the land would work nicely there but three trackless rides in the same park is a lot.
That's why you make a new dark ride instead of the trackless one Shanghai has. I honestly think something along the lines of Roger Rabbit's Car-Toon Spin would be a better fit for the movie than a slow-moving trackless ride.
The Zootopia ride just doesn't look especially good, though. It has a few places where it gets somewhat interesting... and then you go watch a movie.
I've said this multiple times before, but I'm fed up with trackless dark rides just parking the riders in front of screens. If they want to build a simulator, don't disguise it as a dark ride.

HMF

Imagine some sort of roller coaster (though the park probably has enough of those already) aboard a bobsled through glowing ice caverns,
You mean like this?
1709174204361.png

BrianLo

I'm a huge fan of putting Shanghai POTC in DHS and then removing the Jack Sparrow elements to MK POTC. The rides are certainly different enough to have both (esp in different parks)

In the fully selfish lens, I don't want Shanghai to lose its signature attraction.

John Favreau's Jungle Book would be perfectly viable with the ride system though and would allow for a bit more set dressing. Though that would probably be for Animal Kingdom. I'm a bit surprised the ride platform hasn't been reused in some format this far out from SDL.

SpectreJordan

Jim Shull's predictions for Beyond Big Thunder: Zootopia, Moana and Villains. Not sure if any truth to it or he's just speculating but he's hinted at Zootopia before

I imagine he's just guessing but I'd be down for Moana being lumped in with the BBTM expansions...if it's in Adventureland; just do both expansions at the same time. Moana anywhere else in MK would be idiotic.

I think Adventureland is the weakest land in MK. It seems like Indy really helps complete that land over at DL so I think Moana could do the same here.
For God’s sake, put Moana in Adventureland and keep Zootopia outta there. I’m puzzled as to why they would abandon Coco. It seems a logical geographic extension from Big Thunder. Just drop the Encanto element that was originally proposed.
Yeah idk why they'd abandon Coco; as you said it'd be a nice extension from BTM & it's a beloved movie. The only thing that makes sense is if they expanded the Mexican pavillion to have an extra Coco ride (NOT a replacement of 3 Caballeros).

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
The cynical side of me thinks it's naive to believe that any new additions coming to WDW in the next 10 years wouldn't include at least one direct 1-for-1 clone of something built at another Disney park and I feel like Zootopia has been rumored for far too long for it to end with the Tree of Life show being the only use. As such, I don't think it's too crazy to think that they could have dropped the idea of cloning Shanghai's Zootopia at Animal Kingdom and just copy/pasted the idea to Magic Kingdom.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The cynical side of me thinks it's naive to believe that any new additions coming to WDW in the next 10 years wouldn't include at least one direct 1-for-1 clone of something built at another Disney park and I feel like Zootopia has been rumored for far too long for it to end with the Tree of Life show being the only use. As such, I don't think it's too crazy to think that they could have dropped the idea of cloning Shanghai's Zootopia at Animal Kingdom and just copy/pasted the idea to Magic Kingdom.
Last we heard, Zootopia in WDW was going to be a ITtBaB retheme.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Last we heard, Zootopia in WDW was going to be a ITtBaB retheme.

That's where it starts, but will that be the end? I mean, I doubt with Zootopia being where ITtBaB is in DAK they would clone the Shanghai ride to DAK, but nothing stopping them from putting it in MK. I mean, they do have a (new) Moana attraction at EPCOT and yet they were still talking about adding Moana to DAK.

Bocabear

I think Adventureland is the weakest land in MK. It seems like Indy really helps complete that land over at DL so I think Moana could do the same here.

Yeah idk why they'd abandon Coco; as you said it'd be a nice extension from BTM & it's a beloved movie. The only thing that makes sense is if they expanded the Mexican pavillion to have an extra Coco ride (NOT a replacement of 3 Caballeros).
Why not replace 3 Caballeros? It is an extremely weak attraction...a complete gut and redo with a Coco theme could be wonderful...and would be a perfect fit for the pavilion...The Pavilion doesn't need two attractions... Donald Duck is not Mexican.... and wouldn't it be cool if they took the Animatronic birds and put them on a balcony overlooking the Plaza in the pavilion...and every so often they would sing?... another show element to the overall pavilion...

Bocabear

They would have to bring people in from one of the sides most likely...Looks like the Odyssey side has more space... With Odyssey closed they could even use the bridge from the showplace Esplanade over to Odyssey as the entrance to the attraction...then exit everyone though the Pavilion...perhaps...

FigmentFan82

Atlantis is one movie that if done right I’d actually want a live action remake of. It could do really well switching mediums I think.
I actually was just thinking yesterday that instead of live-action remaking the popular and successful animated films they should have gone after all the ones that weren't huge successes. At least with that you have much more free reign to adapt and change things whereas it's almost heretical to change anything from the classics that were more or less perfect in their own right.
Live-Action remakes they should be making:
Atlantis
Treasure Planet
The Black Caldron
The Sword in the Stone (I love it but I don't think it was ever one of their big hits)
Brother Bear

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom