News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

JD80

And beyond that, were there any memorable locations in the Toy Story movies? a suburban backyard, a kids room, a pizza place and a garbage dump.
Cars had a clear sense of place... They were locations you would want to see.
I think that is the problem with Galaxy's Edge...these are not locations we know, and not from the most memorable and beloved films.... Like having a Cinderella land, but it's really Cinderella's cousin Maude who lives in Serbia... A host of new characters no one cares about in locations that are not recognizable...but they spent millions on rockwork....
If they build new lands for behind the Rivers Of America, they need to be compelling settings...Villains Lair would give them the opportunity to do a huge expansion that would cover many different IPs.
Wicked Queen from Snow White, Maleficent ,Captain Hook ,Ursula , Jafar ,Frollo ,Hades ,Dr Facilier ,Mother Gothel...and more. The settings could be beautiful and epic in scale and a minimum of 3-4 rides... plus shopping and a signature dining location... there is a lot to work with, and it brings relevancy to multiple films instead of just one IP like GE or Toy Story Land....

Obviously you don't like it, but the idea of being in a backyard or a kid's room from the perspective of a Toy is really fun to me. I like Toy Story Land at DHS. Do I wish it was more? Absolutely, but doesn't mean I hate what we have either.

I very much doubt they put in a singular IP land in the Magic Kingdom. I can be wrong though.

yensidtlaw1969

Apart from "Villains" and Toontown, I hate the idea of single IP lands in castle parks. Galaxy's Edge looks like a growth on top of an otherwise perfect Disneyland park.
Agreed. Villains and Toontown get a pass from me because they, like Fantasyland, create (or presumably would create) a homespace for multiple characters and franchises that fall under a particular umbrella and are fun to imagine in a shared space.

If Fantasyland hadn't set the precedent I would probably feel differently, but since it did and both lands seem conceptually (if not physically) tied to Fantasyland they check out for me as within the scope of the Magic Kingdom concept.

Stumbling upon Zootopia up the road from The Haunted Mansion, however, would not sit well with me.

WorldExplorer

Having a dozen or so beloved classic films that have already proved their popularity is long lasting (several of which include iconic and potentially wonderful locations) get all shoved into one shared space while something less than a decade old (barely over two years, in Encanto's case) gets an entire landed devoted to it right next to them rubs me the wrong way.

It comes across like bad priorities with a touch of arrogance.

Last edited:

Haymarket2008

Agreed. Villains and Toontown get a pass from me because they, like Fantasyland, create (or presumably would create) a homespace for multiple characters and franchises that fall under a particular umbrella and are fun to imagine in a shared space.

If Fantasyland hadn't set the precedent I would probably feel differently, but since it did and both lands seem conceptually (if not physically) tied to Fantasyland they check out for me as within the scope of the Magic Kingdom concept.

Stumbling upon Zootopia up the road from The Haunted Mansion, however, would not sit well with me.
Having a dozen or so beloved classic films that have already proved their popularity is long lasting (several of which include iconic and potentially wonderful locations) get all shoved into one shared space while something less than a decade old (barely over two years, in Encanto's case) gets an entire landed devoted to it right next to them rubs me the wrong way.

CORRECT on both counts.

Animaniac93-98

Zootopia, the movie, is Bob Iger's Disney (like Coco and Encanto). The ride was originally made for his Magic Kingdom.

Now [if built] his brand of Disney gets to reshape the most popular Disney park for years to come. Just like how Disneyland may have had Star Wars in it for decades, but not the characters from the sequel trilogy made possible by his acquisition.

A land based on animated characters made before he joined the company doesn't.

ToTBellHop

It's kind of crazy that they got a positive, first hand, in person reaction from their own customers to the idea of a Villain's land in MK and then decided "no, maybe we should build Zootopia instead?"
Fans at a convention are different from the general public, though. Perhaps they did focus groups and too many moms thought it would scare their 3-year olds? Ironic, since Susie will be 12 before this opens…

ToTBellHop

Zootopia, the movie, is Bob Iger's Disney (like Coco and Encanto). The ride was originally made for his Magic Kingdom.

Now [if built] his brand of Disney gets to reshape the most popular Disney park for years to come. Just like how Disneyland may have had Star Wars in it for decades, but not the characters from the sequel trilogy made possible by his acquisition.

A land based on animated characters made before he joined the company doesn't.
If he’s that petty, I’d be perfectly happy to have him push Facilier into TBA since it’s one of “his IPs”.

Animaniac93-98

Fans at a convention are different from the general public, though. Perhaps they did focus groups and too many moms thought it would scare their 3-year olds? Ironic, since Susie will be 12 before this opens…

The Halloween Parties and Villains Nights have no trouble selling tickets and Fantasmic! is packed every night.

You'd think by now they know how much their customers like villains. I mean, they even made Maleficent and Cruella movies.

ToTBellHop

The Halloween Parties and Villains Nights have no trouble selling tickets and Fantasmic! is packed every night.

You'd think by now they know how much their customers like villains. I mean, they even made Maleficent and Cruella movies.
How about a 70 mph Mickey and the Roadster Racers coaster with 7 inversions? At DAK because Mickey is a mouse.

Advisable Joseph

It's kind of crazy that they got a positive, first hand, in person reaction from their own customers to the idea of a Villain's land in MK and then decided "no, maybe we should build Zootopia instead?"
Everyone's misreading the insiders' comments.

Zootopia is one new thing possibly going there, not the thing, and I think there is more flexibility on where "beyond Big Thunder Mountain" actually would be, given D'Amaro's comments about having more space than guests realize and building outside the berm.

FigmentFan82

It's always a shame when the skimp on the big ideas, or shelve them completely for something lesser. I know it's all still up in the air as to what they will actually do, but I sure hope Zootopia is not what gets approved for beyond big thunder. And I am a big Zootopia fan and would love to see more Zootopia around, but not at the expense of better ideas for the beyond location.

capsshield

Done right you could walk down a path through a forest of scary trees, and come to an opening that leads to the villains village. Cruelly coaster, Oggie boogies roulette spin, a snuggly duckling restaurant, a permanent night before Christmas dark ride, villain stage show, maleficients castle, hooks hangout, skull rock an upgraded version of pan.
Then rework pan ride to something like tangled

Advisable Joseph

but I sure hope Zootopia is not what gets approved for beyond big thunder.

Again, people here are misreading the insiders.
Expect to see a second Zootopia in the Magic Kingdom at WDW as part of their expansion along the Rivers of America.
(Emphasis mine)

Again, D'Amaro has explained that they have more land to work with than you would think.

It's not stopping Villians Land.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Done right you could walk down a path through a forest of scary trees, and come to an opening that leads to the villains village. Cruelly coaster, Oggie boogies roulette spin, a snuggly duckling restaurant, a permanent night before Christmas dark ride, villain stage show, maleficients castle, hooks hangout, skull rock an upgraded version of pan.
Then rework pan ride to something like tangled
Don't forget to include murder Mickey....

runaway-brain-evil-mickey-mouse-cropped.jpg

Brer Panther

I still don't really like the idea of a Villains Land, for a couple reasons... it's too gimmicky, and you'd be kind of limited with which villains you could use since most of them are already represented elsewhere in the parks (Captain Hook in Peter Pan's Flight, Ursula in the Little Mermaid ride, Gaston in... well, Gaston's Tavern) or don't really lend themselves well to solo attractions (Hans, Bellwether, Frollo). It'd be like doing a "Superhero Land" or a "Princess Land"... I dunno, just feels like a weak premise for a land to me.

Not a fan of having a Zootopia Land in Magic Kingdom either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom