News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

MagicHappens1971

I personally think the "Disney shouldn't invest more in MK without investing more in the other parks" narrative needs to go. It's been discussed a million times, but there is not a single thing in the world that will draw guests away from MK to the other 3 parks, MK needs more capacity. Over at DAK, they're planning the Moana/Zootopia thing, and hopefully further expansion comes to DHS in the somewhat near future. Ultimately, any expansions/new attractions are a win for Disney fans like us.

I think "DAK at night" unfortunately died with Rivers of Light, when/if they further expand the park, maybe they'll revisit a nighttime show to keep guests there. Right now, I don't know if it would even be worth it. Personally, I don't think I've ever stayed at DAK longer than 4-5pm. Especially with the Park Reservations/hopping, I usually book DAK, ride FOP, and Everest, maybe see FOTLK, grab a drink at Nomad Lounge and hop to my next park.

KingMickey13

I personally think the "Disney shouldn't invest more in MK without investing more in the other parks" narrative needs to go. It's been discussed a million times, but there is not a single thing in the world that will draw guests away from MK to the other 3 parks, MK needs more capacity. Over at DAK, they're planning the Moana/Zootopia thing, and hopefully further expansion comes to DHS in the somewhat near future. Ultimately, any expansions/new attractions are a win for Disney fans like us.

I think "DAK at night" unfortunately died with Rivers of Light, when/if they further expand the park, maybe they'll revisit a nighttime show to keep guests there. Right now, I don't know if it would even be worth it. Personally, I don't think I've ever stayed at DAK longer than 4-5pm. Especially with the Park Reservations/hopping, I usually book DAK, ride FOP, and Everest, maybe see FOTLK, grab a drink at Nomad Lounge and hop to my next park.
It’s almost as if Disney doesn’t care that much about the other parks and just wants to focus on MK. Though, admittedly, I’m very excited for this!

I’ve only stayed at AK once past dinner, for Rivers of Light. There’s no reason to go because it closes so early.

yensidtlaw1969

Responding to the bolded - these things don't exist in a vacuum. Magic Kingdom is the best attended because it's the most famous park, has the most to do, caters to the broadest age range, offers the widest array of appealing themes, and has some of the most classic attractions in the world. Most of these are not immutable traits.

While it's difficult to imagine any other park ever eclipsing MK for fame, the simple truth is that the other three parks haven't been given any real chance to stand anywhere but in MK's shadow. They all have far less to do, are more niche in the themes they present, have fewer attractions that all ages can ride, and while they each feature some strong marquee E Tickets no lineup comes close to the onslaught of elaborate and nostalgic attractions at MK that can both take guests back and still hold up today.

But - and this is a big but - for most of those problems all it takes is money and the will to do it. Shockingly, Disney only has one of those, and, frustratingly, it's the one that's usually harder to come by. They don't need to knock MK off its own pedestal, but getting the other three parks onto the podium with it isn't as mythically impossible as some make it out to be. Disney just isn't trying.

Last edited:

BlakeW39

I think they should just continue to enhance or plus what's there as the density is good. For instance, a lot could be done to Little Mermaid during a refurb to make it more attractive to guests. Plus, Seven Dwarfs and Peter Pan certainly have the wait times of E-tickets even if they aren't actually in that category.

Right, but other than the Primeval hole which looks to be getting addressed, it's the only park that doesn't have a section that feels legitimately abandoned and broken. Animation Courtyard, Imagination, Wonders of Life, Spaceship Earth, and parts of Tomorrowland are just sad. More rides are always welcome, but still.

Yeah they have long waits but that's not my problem with Fantasyland. The issue isn't that there isn't enough to do, it's that not much of it is worth doing. It needs quality attractions— its quantity is fine. Aesthetics are still my main issue with the area, though.

Also, all the rest of your response is correct, but that doesn't change that DAK has other problems that also need immediate attention. Namely, its lack of rides.

Agreed. MK has higher attendance and therefore needs higher capacity compared to the other three parks. The solution to crowding at MK isn't (just) adding to the other parks, it's adding to the MK itself.

I also definitely agree that DAK at night needs to come back. Past 6 or so, that park is just so dead. It doesn't have to be that way.

And you go to DAK without looking at animals!??😲

yensidtlaw1969

I definitely wouldn't be on board for Hocus Pocus, seems like a cheap IP to use in the parks, but Sleepy Hollow would be absolutely perfect. Ditto for Villain Kingdom.
Hocus Pocus 2 broke every streaming record at the time of its premiere, and the original trailed not far behind - it's a dark horse property for Disney, but its popularity has been growing since the 90s and gets higher every year - which they've noticed given that's the complete inverse of the usual trend. Movies tend to make them less and less money as time goes on instead of more, and even more rare is one that makes them significantly more like Hocus Pocus does.

I wouldn't expect a full year-round attraction at MK (not that I think they're even considering any sort of attraction - and not that I'd complain if they were!), but I can't see how it would hurt if they built the Sanderson Sisters Cottage along the path from Liberty Square to Villains Land, even if they only opened it seasonally. It would be an absolute smash during the Halloween Parties for sure - as would anything Sleepy Hollow, and as will whatever Villains Land turns out to be. If they can lean into that it seems like that would be a smart decision.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Posting this in the appropritate thread:View attachment 710330
According to this rumor, New Orleans would take over the western side of Frontierland, and Liberty Square would manifest its destiny westward. Big Thunder Mountian would be absorbed into a new joint land with Coco, which would transition to a more forested Encanto area before entering a villain's land that would terminate at Haunted Mansion.

Perfectly, this sounds like a perfect plan to me and the perfect execution of the overarching idea.

Very excited now, especially since this seems to be far less blue sky than previously suggested.

Additional useful post to help visualize the space, especially with how big it is:

Considering it’s literally an option I had already shown months ago, I’d say it’s legitimate.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member

Also keep in mind more capacity and new things at MK will likely mean more people in the MK at times as well

I kinda wish they would built villiansland at Hollywood studios. They could then have different Halloween style parties there in addition to MK for MNSSHP

If they build more family rides at AK and have a really exciting night show (with more than 1 showing) you might have something there to draw people at night too

MagicHappens1971

Also keep in mind more capacity and new things at MK will likely mean more people in the MK at times as well
Totally true, but I don’t think it would be anything extremely substantial.
I kinda wish they would built villiansland at Hollywood studios. They could then have different Halloween style parties (maybe even year round) there in addition to MK for MNSSHP
I agree with you here. Kind of surprised they haven’t thought of the potential uncharge events they could have at DHS with a fully fleshed out Villainsland. Same could be said for MK though, they could have Halloween/Villains parties in the months that there aren’t MNSSHP & MVMCP. Lots of possibilities

BlakeW39

Hocus Pocus 2 broke every streaming record at the time of its premiere, and the original trailed not far behind - it's a dark horse property for Disney, but its popularity has been growing since the 90s and gets higher every year - which they've noticed given that's the complete inverse of the usual trend. Movies tend to make them less and less money as time goes on instead of more, and even more rare is one that makes them significantly more like Hocus Pocus does.

I wouldn't expect a full year-round attraction at MK (not that I think they're even considering any sort of attraction - and not that I'd complain if they were!), but I can't see how it would hurt if they built the Sanderson Sisters Cottage along the path from Liberty Square to Villains Land, even if they only opened it seasonally. It would be an absolute smash during the Halloween Parties for sure - as would anything Sleepy Hollow, and as will whatever Villains Land turns out to be. If they can lean into that it seems like that would be a smart decision.

A cheesy 90's kid's Halloween film? Whose quality essentially amounts to what one could find on Disney Channel in 2013? There's no doubting the second was a success on D+, but— and not to sound like a jerk —if I saw the IP plastered over a Disney theme park I'd probably cringe to death.

James Alucobond

A cheesy 90's kid's Halloween film? Whose quality essentially amounts to what one could find on Disney Channel in 2013? There's no doubting the second was a success on D+, but— and not to sound like a jerk —if I saw the IP plastered over a Disney theme park I'd probably cringe to death.
It's already a major component of the Spelltacular, and people love it.

mattpeto

I think that's been discussed by a lot of people. I mean they weren't gonna open Tiana in frontierland
I don’t recall seeing an insider saying the Southern part of Frontierland was going to change (and why), but it is hip to dislike him in the community, I get it.

One of the things he mentions matches up something I heard back from D23. That doesn’t make it true, but it does support his story.

BlakeW39

I don’t recall seeing an insider saying the Southern part of Frontierland was going to change (and why), but it is hip to dislike him in the community, I get it.

One of the things he mentions matches up something I heard back from D23. That doesn’t make it true, but it does support his story.

Why's it hip to dislike Mickey Views?

RSoxNo1

Gotcha, I had made this more spread out + ambitious layout for the lands so that may have been why I got that response. Closing Villains Land at night would definitelyView attachment 710354 not be ideal.
This goes into my removal of small world as well, but I'd position it with a path from Fantasyland, a path from the left of Mansion and a path from Thunder. It would require re-routing or even filling in part of the Rivers of America, taking out a significant chunk of Tom Sawyer Island and relocating It's a small world and maybe Pinocchio's.

What's far more likely is the non-Fantasyland related stuff, but Fantasyland connecting to a Villains land would lend itself to something like Fire Mountain being a bridge attraction between the lands.

SoFloMagic

I don't feel cool for disliking him. Nor do I dislike him. But I do think it's hilarious to present this as massive news.

But, again... The only part of this that's really "new" is the idea that the country bears will be going creole. If that's true, he'll earn my respect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom