News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

MagicHappens1971

But that's not really what the artwork suggests. We can see their idea for the area centers on a single, unified plaza surrounded by Casita, Pantéon Santa Cecilia, a path to the villain area, and probably some shops/dining, but Encanto and Coco don't each get their own isolated areas.
The artwork released at D23 was extremely vague and honestly nonsensical, while I don't disagree that it's a possibility that the Coco/Encanto area will be small, I don't think the artwork is a fair thing to base anything off of.

MagicHappens1971

I am excited for pretty much anything new as long it is doesn't shut down more rides while construction is going on
I think the bulk of this expansion would be pretty harmless to day-to-day park operations, probably up until they need to build connections to the existing park. Although I don't think this will shut down any attractions. Maybe the WDWRR again...

SoFloMagic

One issue with adding what would end up being more capacity to MK (with a new blue sky land) that must be considered is this:
How do you move these crowds at the end of a day back out of the park. This “blue sky land” probably can’t happen unless you add a back entrance to MK- and that would probably mean parking issues/solutions. If it is an easier option for me to get into MK, then me and 10k of my closest friend will want to enter and exit from the new entrance, instead of taking the ferry. and that will pose some hurdles on crowd control for WDI to consider. Just some food for thought…
Very far down on the list of things that'll never happen but should: passholder exclusive parking garage behind MK with separate entrance

MagicHappens1971

I think my biggest concern with this idea of getting rid of Fronteirland is the placement of Big Thunder. You would have to pass TBA and the new "New Orleans Square" with no thematic transition to this new "Dessert Land"

BlakeW39

I like New Orleans Square. I think Latinxland would be nice, although not not as nice as a western Frontierland is. The problem I have with this is why Frontierland has to be replaced at all. If you're gonna retheme a land, retheme Fantasyland!! That land is some serious TLC and NFL did almost nothing for it. Just made if feel aesthatically disorganized.

MagicHappens1971

I like New Orleans Square. I think Latinxland would be nice, although not not as nice as a western Frontierland is. The problem I have with this is why Frontierland has to be replaced at all. If you're gonna retheme a land, retheme Fantasyland!! That land is some serious TLC and NFL did almost nothing for it. Just made if feel aesthatically disorganized.
It's their own way of doing damage control on the thematic inconsistency created by Tiana's Bayou Adventure. To be honest, I'm not surprised at all. When they basically announced that TBA was being designed to fit perfectly within New Orleans Square, I didn't think this was too far off.

Fantasyland really doesn't have many problems. My biggest gripe is the tent facades, and I do wish they would do something about that. Some serious TLC on PPF would be nice too but...

BlakeW39

It's their own way of doing damage control on the thematic inconsistency created by Tiana's Bayou Adventure. To be honest, I'm not surprised at all. When they basically announced that TBA was being designed to fit perfectly within New Orleans Square, I didn't think this was too far off.

Fantasyland really doesn't have many problems. My biggest gripe is the tent facades, and I do wish they would do something about that. Some serious TLC on PPF would be nice too but...

I think Fantasyland lacks a cohesive artistic direction, and like you said the tent facades feel cheap. While I wouldn't want to see the land gone, I would like to see it redesigned and plussed, including at least one E-ticket.

And yeah, I appreciate that they're at least trying to make TBA fit into its surroundings, but that could have been done without retheming all of Frontierland around it. In LA and parts of eastern TX, swamps frequently border drier habitats geographically, including those of northeastern Mexico.

Touchdown

It goes without saying that Liberty Square-NO street-Frontierland-Mexico works geographically, as well as time wise (Thunder Mt could be brought a head 40 years to 1920s with some different equipment in the queue and nothing else changed.) This would fix the problem they caused.

And for everyone going Encanto in a desert? No it’s in a tropical forest, which are also in Mexico and Disney can transition theme like no other.

Last edited:

scottieRoss

It sounds like they aren't planning on building as far East as you've labeled here - although I wish they would, because the best and most logical connection point to Villains Land is through Fantasyland by passing Gaston's Tavern. The second best thematic point would be past The Haunted Mansion, which sounds like part of the plan, but in my dreams Villains wraps all the way behind Mansion and Small World over to Gaston's.

Build some sort of spooky Cave system if you must, Disney. Go for that indoor/permanent nighttime idea that's always been bandied about if that's what it takes to prevent the land from closing during the Fireworks. A Villains Land in MK without a connection to Fantasyland - especially when such a solid thematic connection point already exists - would be a misstep.
You will have to remember that behind fantasyland to the East of Small World show building is a MAJOR change in grade. That is the entrance to the untilidors. Buses and large trucks use what appears as open space to the East of Pinochio's Village House and west of Be Our Guest to turn around and unload for the untilidor structure. So the roadway and turnarounds are actually at true elevation. It is the one place where you can actually see that Magic Kingdom is built above the utilidor structure

yensidtlaw1969

You will have to remember that behind fantasyland to the East of Small World show building is a MAJOR change in grade. That is the entrance to the untilidors. Buses and large trucks use what appears as open space to the East of Pinochio's Village House and west of Be Our Guest to turn around and unload for the untilidor structure. So the roadway and turnarounds are actually at true elevation. It is the one place where you can actually see that Magic Kingdom is built above the utilidor structure
Oh I recall, and I'm sure they won't even touch that area, I just think it would make the most artistic and thematic sense for Villains to connect there.

While they certainly *could* find a way to work over that, I have no real expectation that they'll try. For many reasons.

James Alucobond

Oh I recall, and I'm sure they won't even touch that area, I just think it would make the most artistic and thematic sense for Villains to connect there.

While they certainly *could* find a way to work over that, I have no real expectation that they'll try. For many reasons.
I think more Sleepy Hollow could be an equally cool and thematically appropriate connection to Liberty Square, but I don’t imagine they’ll do that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom