Best place to watch Wishes & Illuminations without actually being in the parks

courty

Hey All,
I was wondering where everyones choice spot is to watch wishes without actually being inside the kingdom. Also i was wondering if it is possible to view illuminations without being inside EPCOT (or at least part of it as i know alot of the show is on the lagoon but i am thinking the fireworks portion). i was thinking outside the entrance over by Italy where the boat goes over from the Boardwalk, but im not sure ...any thoughts??

Vernonpush

I have a feeling this question will be asked alot come January.:lookaroun

There are some good viewing areas for IllumiNations:ROE in the Boardwalk/ Yacht & Beach Club areas.

For Wishes, I've heard that the beaches at the Poly. are good.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There is no "great" place to see Illuminations from outside of Epcot. The Boardwalk and Y&BC have a few spots that are fair but you really need to be around the lagoon in WS to get the full effect of Illuminations.

Wishes on the other hand can be seen quite well from the beach at the Poly. The best place to view Wishes outside of the park is from the observation deck of the California Grill on the roof of the Contemporary. You will need to dine at CG to gain access to this deck but IMHO the view form CG is better than the view from inside the park.

Upvote 0

November Girl

We did California Grille and saw Wishes from there last visit and it was worth every penny. The food was great, the kids were entertained collecting little Mickey shaped sequins that they throw around the floor (only place in Disney to get them we were told ) and then the show was fabulous with the sountrack piped in. It was a beautiful outdoor night to watch, and the roof has a nice "exclusive" feel to it---great when you've spent all day with the "huddled masses!'

Upvote 0

Carolyn1717

You will really miss the whole experience of Illumintations if you are not right there up front on the water. There is no way around that one.

For Wishes...the Poly is a good choice, unless the resort is sold out. If resort is sold out they will restrict the beach to resort guests only.

CG is your best bet for a spectacular view. You'll have a good dinner & great view of the show...you can't beat it.

Upvote 0

imamouse

The observation deck on the 4th fl of the Contemporary is another good location for Wishes. It's not as good at CA Grill, but it's free :animwink:. We've also walked up a few flights of stairs to watch from the exterior stairwells (accessed from the 4th floor deck).

You can see Illuminations from PC. It's a distant viewing and you can't hear the music, but it's better than nothing.

Upvote 0

smk

Wishes, from the beach of the POLY, while lying in a beach chair, not a wet hammock....:D. Or the beach of FW, my second favorite spot to watch. I have heard that illuminations can be seen from the boardwalk area, I can't imagine it is a really good spot to watch, not the full view, maybe just a lot of smoke and noise from the show.

Upvote 0

courty

Original Poster
haha youtube...too funny...:ROFLOL:...i have a great video of wishes from last summer so i can watch them whenever i want too. And the only reason i am asking is because for the first few days we are at disney we dont have park tickets...i will get to see everything once our package starts of course...i was just thinking of it as somthing to do in the evening and get a sneak peak :D Thanks for the advise guys...helpful as usual! T- 27 Days!!!

Upvote 0

Magicmyway

For illuminations, Id say the bridge between Boardwalk and Beach Club... or walk all the way to international gateway and listen to the music...lol For Wishes... Beach of poly is amazing as well as Grand Floridian near Narcossee's grassy area or time it to be on the Fort Wilderness boat... amazingly FREE fireworks cruise haha

Upvote 0

Mansionbutler

Wishes!

Last october my wife and i went to the poly to see wishes and it is such a great view. we got there a few seconds before it stated so we did not have a beach chair but sitting in the sand with the one you love and seeing a great fireworks show and water pagent is priceless. ah 40 some days to go!

Upvote 0

CatsMeow

The observation deck on the 4th fl of the Contemporary is another good location for Wishes. It's not as good at CA Grill, but it's free :animwink:. We've also walked up a few flights of stairs to watch from the exterior stairwells (accessed from the 4th floor deck).

It is a great place to watch, I agree! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

BRER DAD

Last october my wife and i went to the poly to see wishes and it is such a great view. we got there a few seconds before it stated so we did not have a beach chair but sitting in the sand with the one you love and seeing a great fireworks show and water pagent is priceless. ah 40 some days to go!

The first week were there were going to stay off site. This sounds like a great idea. I think I will drive to DTD, hop a bus to Poly then hop back on the bus to DTD when the show is over. Thanx for the idea!

Upvote 0

hokielutz

Im a big fan of youtube!!! I watch the fireworks whenever I want to!:)

I like your style....

As for Live viewing... I'd say the best places to see Wishes outside the parks are either atop the contemporary resort at the California Grill, or out on a private boat on the lagoon. I've never done the latter, but would love to try it sometime.

Upvote 0

DonaldDoleWhip

Here's a pretty interesting trick (I'm not encouraging anyone to use it, but I've seen it done):

During one of my last trips to California Grill, I went out onto the observation deck at about 9:50 for the fireworks. Around 9:58, I saw a family of Japanese people walk up to the observation deck from lower levels (there is nothing stopping anyone from taking the outdoor stairs up to the observation deck). They didn't speak English and they were acting lost, but once the fireworks started they stayed on the deck and took pictures.

So technically, you don't have to dine at the California Grill to see the fireworks from the observation deck. You could take the elevator to the 11th floor, and then just climb some stairs until you "accidentally" find yourself at the California Grill's observation deck.

Upvote 0

Austin1

Here's a pretty interesting trick (I'm not encouraging anyone to use it, but I've seen it done):

During one of my last trips to California Grill, I went out onto the observation deck at about 9:50 for the fireworks. Around 9:58, I saw a family of Japanese people walk up to the observation deck from lower levels (there is nothing stopping anyone from taking the outdoor stairs up to the observation deck). They didn't speak English and they were acting lost, but once the fireworks started they stayed on the deck and took pictures.

So technically, you don't have to dine at the California Grill to see the fireworks from the observation deck. You could take the elevator to the 11th floor, and then just climb some stairs until you "accidentally" find yourself at the California Grill's observation deck.

I have to admit that I've done this quite a few times and never thought anything of it. No one has ever gotten upset either. In fact, I wasn't even aware that it was exclusive, but I guess that makes sense now.

Upvote 0

Whimsy

For Wishes - I'd say the dock at Poly or Grand Floridian (the audio/music is synced up through the speakers on the dock too). For Illuminations - the bridge that connects Boardwalk and Beach Club. It's just high enough to be able to see the fireworks, but you can't hear the audio in this case though.

Upvote 0

jimjjr

Great place to watch Wishes!

A couple of years ago, we were staying at the Grand Floridian. Outside of the counter-service restaurant, we sat down at some tables (they also have the coin-operated binoculars) and had a drink as Wishes was happening. They had the music synced as if you were in the park and, the best thing was you didn' have the world hanging on you and crowding you. The other great thing was when it was over, we walked 50 feet to our room for the night. But even if you aren't staying at the GF, you can hop right back on the monorail and get where you need to go.

64 days til back to the World. My happiest place on earth.

2003 - Dolphin, 2003 - Swan, 2004 - Swan, 2006 - Grand Floridian, 2007 - Wilderness Lodge, 2008 - Boardwalk

Upvote 0

barrettnichols

Wilderness Lodge

Not free, but if you are staying on the top two levels of the Wilderness Lodge (I think it's the even number rooms) you could see the fireworks at the Magic Kingdom. This was a LONG time ago. Conversely, you also got to smell the smokehouse whenever you opened your sliding glass door.
Are there any views of Illuminations from the Dolphin or Swan? Are there any viewing areas you can access?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom