Best Camera 4 WDW?

stratman50th

this is a BIG question. mods, move this over to the photography section? thanks
I missed it, there's a photography section? That's great. Just went and looked again and spotted it.
Thanks!
And to the OP, that really could be a long question. I haven't looked in the Photog section yet, but if it's like other forums there's probably a sticky there with a list of common questions for you to answer before the shutterbug experts start to give advice. Good luck!

CP_alum08

Yes this needs to be moved, but just so you know, this is a totally subjective question and no two people will agree. What camera you want/need to bring totally depends on what you want to do with it and how much you want to lug around.

And I know I'll be pummeled for this; but as long as you stick with a major brand, brand won't matter. Both Canon and Nikon are at the forefront of the photographic technology and are always competing with each other.

Word of advice though, mega-pixels are NOT everything. And actually if you are going to be printing 4x6 prints, going above 12MP starts to degrade the quality, seriously.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You need to be more specific.

Stills? Video? Both? HD? Large size photos? Good in the dark?

Stabiliser? Format? Editing? Chips? Zoom? Manual controls? Audio input? SLR?

The choose your make. Then model.

Larry Mondello

I missed it, there's a photography section? That's great. Just went and looked again and spotted it.
Thanks!
And to the OP, that really could be a long question. I haven't looked in the Photog section yet, but if it's like other forums there's probably a sticky there with a list of common questions for you to answer before the shutterbug experts start to give advice. Good luck!

Note found in the Photography section:
There have been no posts in the last 365 days in this forum.
Try using the controls below to search for any older posts that may exist.

Which begs the question, if a thread is started in the Photography section, will any body hear it?

CP_alum08

Note found in the Photography section:
There have been no posts in the last 365 days in this forum.
Try using the controls below to search for any older posts that may exist.

Which begs the question, if a thread is started in the Photography section, will any body hear it?

? People post in the photo section almost everyday. There isn't as much activity as the 'Rumors' or 'General' sections, but there are a small group of people who actively participate in conversation. Actually the last post was only a couple hours ago.

Kamikaze

Good as they are, they havn`t replaced a dedicated stills or HD camera.

For the quality an average person needs, they sure have.

For something like you're looking to do - HQ ridiculously detailed videos, no. But for Joe Blow's personal pictures and videos, a smartphone that has a 5MP cam and does 720P video is more than adequate.

mickeyjak

Have taken both DSLR and compact to the parks - photos from the DSLR are amazing, but carrying it around and worrying about water, damage, etc... was tiring plus it was heavy. Having my small compact worked great - took the pic's I wanted and also had the video feature if needed. I like to travel the parks light and I could keep my small one around my wrist.

If this is your first visit then I would recommend the DSLR if you have one (I have the Sony A55) as you will take pictures of everything. For subsequent trips use your smaller one and enjoy the freedom of no bulky camera.

Hope this helps - have a great time.

Brandon.

iphone-3gs-camera.jpeg

britdaw

I reccomend a Canon Powershot camera. They're small, so they fit easily in your pocket, but they take amazing pictures and you can get them fairly cheap if you look around.

I have a Sony Cybershot but I hate the thing. I am definitely going to get a new Canon before our trip so I can get pics that are worth a crap.

CP_alum08

Sure smartphones take alright shots if you're just looking at them on a computer, but have you ever tried printing them? They look terrible, especially if you want anything larger than 4x6. A 5mp P&S will give you way better shots than a 5MP phone and be about the same size. Plus the zoom and flash on phones aren't great yet. Do yourself a favor and just take a camera!

Oh, and yes, Canon Powershots are spectacular little cameras. They just came out with a few new ones that are very nice. I'm a Nikon guy, but if I was in the market for a new P&S I would even hesitate buying a Powershot.

Kamikaze

Sure smartphones take alright shots if you're just looking at them on a computer, but have you ever tried printing them? They look terrible, especially if you want anything larger than 4x6. A 5mp P&S will give you way better shots than a 5MP phone and be about the same size. Plus the zoom and flash on phones aren't great yet. Do yourself a favor and just take a camera!

Depends on the sensor as to the quality.
Yes, zoom sucks, but zoom sucks on all compacts.

ddbowdoin

Point and shoots have only a single pro: size... they can be shoved in your pocket, also there are waterproof models.

DSLR's with a high quality lens are superior in every aspect... only problem is the size aspect. It doesn't bother me but I know a lot of people who wouldn't want to lug it around everywhere.

Fuji X100... tasty little camera! 1100 USD though...

Fuji_X100_contacto_2.jpg

mickeysshoes

I just got my starter DLSR last week and cant wait to take it Disney!!! Will get to test it for the first time this weekend once we finish 5 cakes!!!! I will take my point and shoot in case it rains...I love walking around in the rain taking picutres..everyone looks at me like I am crazy....but its a S&W (shock and waterproof)!!!!!

ddbowdoin

I just got my starter DLSR last week and cant wait to take it Disney!!! Will get to test it for the first time this weekend once we finish 5 cakes!!!! I will take my point and shoot in case it rains...I love walking around in the rain taking picutres..everyone looks at me like I am crazy....but its a S&W (shock and waterproof)!!!!!

congrats, what did you go with?

My plan is to get something like the Fuji X100 for smaller projects. I have an older body, Nikon D80 but its a pretty solid body. I only use two lenses, they are so damn expensive.

Nikon 50mm f1.8 : cheap, one of the best bangs for your buck around. sharp and fast

Tokina 11-16mm f2.8: This ran me 600 USD and its a pretty awesome lens for the price. Similar Nikons run well above that price tag. Super wide lens, sharp but not the sharpest out there, pretty fast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom