Being a Disney Influencer

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
I was thinking about this the other day; being a Disney Influencer must be a tough job. They must have a real passion for Disney and the parks. I love Disney, but I need a break between my trips. I will wait 1 to 2 years before stepping back into the parks. And usually, by the end of my trip, I am excited to go back home and live as a hermit, far from society.

Being a Disney Influencer means seeing the same stuff on a weekly basis. You have to deal with heat and crowds all the time. And eating park food—I imagine after a while, you get sick of the food. Again, they must have a real passion for the parks. I view the parks as a vacation and wouldn't want to make it my career.

However, there are obvious benefits to being a Disney influencer. You are there opening day attractions and events. I do understand the allure.
I think the largest problems with influencers in general is the lack of true stability of the job unless you’ve become a large internet presence like TheTimTracker, which is really hard to do.

Phil12

I think the largest problems with influencers in general is the lack of true stability of the job unless you’ve become a large internet presence like TheTimTracker, which is really hard to do.
In reality, it's not hard to have a large internet presence at all. There are currently over 1300 different Disney influencers marketing their product on the net. The net provides a huge global market and it's rather easy to find an audience if you cater to people and tell them what they want to hear. You don't have to tell the truth either. It's much easier to provide misinformation and just ignore any critics that call you out. Loyal fans will back their preferred influencers no matter how wrong they prove themselves to be. It's just a matter of different strokes for different folks.

As an example, some folks purchase and use Apple products even though they are vastly overpriced and inferior to other manufacturers products. But nevertheless, Apple devotees will defend to the death their preference for Apple computers and smart phones. Go figure.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
In reality, it's not hard to have a large internet presence at all. There are currently over 1300 different Disney influencers marketing their product on the net. The net provides a huge global market and it's rather easy to find an audience if you cater to people and tell them what they want to hear. You don't have to tell the truth either. It's much easier to provide misinformation and just ignore any critics that call you out. Loyal fans will back their preferred influencers no matter how wrong they prove themselves to be. It's just a matter of different strokes for different folks.
90%+ of them aren't making significant money. Now if it’s just a side hustle—I’m similarly a travel agent on the side—that's sort of different.

The misinformation echo chamber though like you said is definitely something scary.

As an example, some folks purchase and use Apple products even though they are vastly overpriced and inferior to other manufacturers products. But nevertheless, Apple devotees will defend to the death their preference for Apple computers and smart phones. Go figure.
Now I know its irrelevant to the point you were making, which is true, but post Apple M1 for Macbooks and using the IOS 18 Beta on my iPhone, I feel like the competitor’s products just aren't as good anymore, at least for my purposes. Where as before Apple was definitely lacking.

NickMaio

I know these things are subjective and there is no "right or wrong" answer.

But to me when I see videos presented in this way with titles like: "Why People Aren't Eating in DW Restaurants" or "Things that SHOCK DL Guests".

It just screams clickbait to me.

View attachment 791203
Sadly DFB has gone this way.
They were not always like that.

It's all about the clicks.....or Benjamin's....or both

DisneyHead123

There’s also the trust base you need to build. Unless you’re very lucky that can take years.
I think the elusive “It factor” element would be difficult as well. Usually Disney vlogs are videos of people wandering the parks, or the same 300 vloggers reacting to the same festival snacks. There’s something about a Molly or a Nathan from Mr. Morrow that makes you go “Oh wait, I have to see what they thought of that pickle milkshake!” though, while if it’s a random new vlogger without much screen presence, you realize that watching the 5th person try the same milkshake probably isn’t that interesting.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
What I don't understand are the people who attempt to become vloggers/influencers and do nothing beyond using their camera phone and just go into the parks and film and talk.

No proper equipment such as a gimbal or stabilizer, no mini microphone for sound quality, no editing, no journalistic approach to the video itself, etc.

There are thousands of decent and successful vloggers that you could study and emulate to produce a quality product but it seems some people really just follow the old "if i build it they will come" mentality.

KDM31091

What I don't understand are the people who attempt to become vloggers/influencers and do nothing beyond using their camera phone and just go into the parks and film and talk.

No proper equipment such as a gimbal or stabilizer, no mini microphone for sound quality, no editing, no journalistic approach to the video itself, etc.

There are thousands of decent and successful vloggers that you could study and emulate to produce a quality product but it seems some people really just follow the old "if i build it they will come" mentality.
Exactly. You need a creative niche. Just standard walking around the parks and filming won’t cut it anymore (unless you’re purely doing it for fun and not expecting a profit)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Exactly. You need a creative niche. Just standard walking around the parks and filming won’t cut it anymore (unless you’re purely doing it for fun and not expecting a profit)
One thing that annoys the daylights out of me are the click bait titles for "hacks".

I see lots of posts on Instagram that start off with titles or captions such as, "5 Genie+ hacks you didn't know about"! Amd the "hacks" will be how to stack lightning lanes or refreshing the app to see different times for lightning lanes. Those aren't hacks. It's just information to use Genie+ more effectively.

Or, "flametree bbq hack" and the "hack" is sitting down in the lower patio with a view of Expedition Everest. Again, not a hack. Just a tip if you'd like seating with a view.

The other one is "I've discovered this hidden/secret (fill in the blank)"

"Guys! I've discovered a secret entrance to Animal Kingdom"! Then they proceed to go through Rainforest Cafe and use the side entrance to the park. It's not a secret nor is it hidden.

The fake hype and titles are insulting to the viewer IMO. Just present your info without the unnecessary and misleading title.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
One thing that annoys the daylights out of me are the click bait titles for "hacks".

I see lots of posts on Instagram that start off with titles or captions such as, "5 Genie+ hacks you didn't know about"! Amd the "hacks" will be how to stack lightning lanes or refreshing the app to see different times for lightning lanes. Those aren't hacks. It's just information to use Genie+ more effectively.

Or, "flametree bbq hack" and the "hack" is sitting down in the lower patio with a view of Expedition Everest. Again, not a hack. Just a tip if you'd like seating with a view.

"Guys! I've discovered a secret entrance to Animal Kingdom"! Then they proceed to go through Rainforest Cafe and use the side entrance to the park. It's not a secret nor is it hidden.

The fake hype and titles are insulting to the viewer IMO. Just present your info without the unnecessary and misleading title.
But then how will they get clicks and satisfy their need for social importance? ;)

DisneyHead123

I will say, I think honest titles just don’t work sometimes, lol.

“Hey, while you’re stuck at home doing drudge work at your job, enjoy this 30 minutes of escapism where you watch me walk around the parks with lots of fun clips. Again.”

I imagine it’s like trying to title Hallmark movies. The honest title is “Ok, let’s be real, we all know this is literally the exact same Christmas movie you just watched, maybe (maybe) with the size 000 actress switched out. Now sit back and relax while we power wash your eyeballs with Christmas imagery.”

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I will say, I think honest titles just don’t work sometimes, lol.

“Hey, while you’re stuck at home doing drudge work at your job, enjoy this 30 minutes of escapism where you watch me walk around the parks with lots of fun clips. Again.”

I imagine it’s like trying to title Hallmark movies. The honest title is “Ok, let’s be real, we all know this is literally the exact same Christmas movie you just watched, maybe (maybe) with the size 000 actress switched out. Now sit back and relax while we power wash your eyeballs with Christmas imagery.”
I agree that occasionally it's not a bad thing to have a bit of hype. Some just seem to rely quite heavily upon it.

The influencers that are constantly posting "hacks" and "secrets" are just the modern day version of, "I'm Crazy Lou, I'm gonna slash...PRICES ON SOFAS!!!"

DisneyHead123

I agree that occasionally it's not a bad thing to have a bit of hype. Some just seem to rely quite heavily upon it.

The influencers that are constantly posting "hacks" and "secrets" are just the modern day version of, "I'm Crazy Lou, I'm gonna slash...PRICES ON SOFAS!!!"
My guess is that they’re going for words that are either favored by the YouTube algorithm or frequently searched. It’s a shame because it feels like some of the more niche topics are discouraged by that dynamic. Everyone goes for the people searching “Disney vacation tips / hacks.” I do love the general “walking around the festivals” type videos to have on in the background, but it probably crowds out other topics that would be interesting.

erasure fan1

Yea this is really why I stopped watching vlogger content. The only time I tune in is when I'm looking for specific information. But I don't subscribe to any of them anymore. Unfortunately it's all about clicks, it doesn't matter why you click, just that you did.

Raineman

I used to watch alot of the Disney/mostly Disney vloggers. But once I started hearing about how fake some of these people are, and how they lie through their teeth to the viewers they make their money from, and how absolutely cringy some of them are, I stopped. Tattle may have alot of bitter people in there, but some of the things they talk about expose the hypocrisy of these people. A YouTube channel called Florida Resident Edits does a good job with that too. The Trackers are a perfect example of that, as are Katie and Spencer from Best Life & Beyond . And these people have stans that are creepily obsessed with them and their lives, and will attack anyone who says anything negative about them, even if it's been proven to be true. It's just one big cupcake flavored cesspool, with a few exceptions of course.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom