News Beauty and the Beast sing-along coming to Epcot's France Pavilion

Kman101

I agree with literally everything you stated. You seem to also think I'm attacking IDF, or Epcot as a whole.

Here were my 2 original posts.

Literally all I was saying was IDF is not nearly as popular as other attractions, including other film attractions. Hence why Disney is considering something like another singalong.

You guys don't need to be a genius to figure out what the majority of theme park guests will prefer. I am willing to bet $100 that the Beauty and the Beast sing along will be 10X more popular than IDF, whether it's good or not.

FWIW, I agree with you, but do you have actual stats to prove IDF is "unpopular". Crowd size in a theater isn't a sole determining factor in popularity. If it were truly unpopular, why not dump it altogether? A movie playing in a theme park just isn't going to be a headlining draw. But they are doing both so they're clearly trying to appease both fan bases.

aliceismad

FWIW, I agree with you, but do you have actual stats to prove IDF is "unpopular". Crowd size in a theater isn't a sole determining factor in popularity. If it were truly unpopular, why not dump it altogether? A movie playing in a theme park just isn't going to be a headlining draw. But they are doing both so they're clearly trying to appease both fan bases.
Disney has FP for Frozen singalong, PhilharMagic, Disney and Pixar Film Festival, and MuppetVision. I don't think IDF is "unpopular," but I am curious as to whether BotB singalong will offer FPs. Perhaps Disney is trying to drive crowds toward WS to disperse the masses.

Kman101

Disney has FP for Frozen singalong, PhilharMagic, Disney and Pixar Film Festival, and MuppetVision. I don't think IDF is "unpopular," but I am curious as to whether BotB singalong will offer FPs. Perhaps Disney is trying to drive crowds toward WS to disperse the masses.

I imagine it's all about pulling people in. The parks have the potential to be even more crowded come next year and going forward. They need all the draws they can get. I'm sure there's some strategy behind it in terms of spreading out the masses. I don't like it, but the sing-along will indeed likely fill some seats for a while. What Disney does (and also at the same time, doesn't) is that basically anything "new" they do will draw people in.

ZodIsGr8

I agree with literally everything you stated. You seem to also think I'm attacking IDF, or Epcot as a whole.

Here were my 2 original posts.

Literally all I was saying was IDF is not nearly as popular as other attractions, including other film attractions. Hence why Disney is considering something like another singalong.

You guys don't need to be a genius to figure out what the majority of theme park guests will prefer. I am willing to bet $100 that the Beauty and the Beast sing along will be 10X more popular than IDF, whether it's good or not.
I do not think you are attacking anything or anyone, and you are correct in your assumption that a majority of theme park guests will prefer the thrill ride or IP Based rides. The problem though, is that there are several other places to go to get that type of experience, whereas EPCOT could be something original and still bring in guests that maybe are looking for something different. It is just a shame that we had to lose EPCOT Center and everything it had to offer. If I need BatB, lord knows I can go to Hollywood Studios and see a great show, or I can go to Magic Kingdom where they have an entire mini-land devoted to that particular IP. I would rather learn about the country than do a sing along. Once again, I see your point entirely and I know Disney is going to do what is best for the bottom line as they have to answer to stock holders. Just a shame we lost an alternative form of entertainment.

Kman101

I do not think you are attacking anything or anyone, and you are correct in your assumption that a majority of theme park guests will prefer the thrill ride or IP Based rides. The problem though, is that there are several other places to go to get that type of experience, whereas EPCOT could be something original and still bring in guests that maybe are looking for something different. It is just a shame that we had to lose EPCOT Center and everything it had to offer. If I need BatB, lord knows I can go to Hollywood Studios and see a great show, or I can go to Magic Kingdom where they have an entire mini-land devoted to that particular IP. I would rather learn about the country than do a sing along. Once again, I see your point entirely and I know Disney is going to do what is best for the bottom line as they have to answer to stock holders. Just a shame we lost an alternative form of entertainment.

Just wanted to say well said and I share the same opinion as you. I wish they'd look at Epcot differently.

TwilightZone

This whole thing to me is just lazy... A sing along?

Look I get the IP mandate. I've come to terms with it, even if I'm not in favor of it. But it would be so easy to do this right.

"Now alternating with IDF, is French History with Belle". Or "French Architecture with Quasimodo".

This isn't that hard. But a sing-along? Unless it is mainly about French folk songs (I doubt it), this is just lazy.
As much as I dislike incredicoaster, at least it follows this format of IP and it's not incredibles sing a long.

jt04

I agree with both sides of the discussion.

The only negative I see is that those inclined to can't watch IdF 10 times in a row. 🎥 💀

yensidtlaw1969

It's interesting to me that Tiki Room and Country Bear Jamboree seem to have had diametrically opposite fates at DL and MK. The surge in mid-century nostalgia seems to have fed a revival for the Tiki Room on the west coast that just hasn't translated to a revival on the east coast despite the recent refurb. As far as I'm aware, CBJ was never as big as they hoped on the west coast and, as we know, they axed it for an (also unpopular) Winnie the Pooh ride over there. It still seems relatively popular and "safe" on the east coast, though, and perhaps now enjoying the same nostalgic glow around it as Tiki Room on the west.

Don't shoot me, I appreciate both attractions but am probably more a Tiki Room than a Country Bears guy! Still, all signs seem to point toward Tiki Room having an uncertain future at the MK, sadly. We'll see how long we can hold off its replacement with a room full of kiddies belting out How Far I'll Go... :cry:

It's an interesting point you bring up, but the situation regarding Country Bears in Disneyland is missing a few pieces - when the attraction was added to Disneyland it was built with two theaters due to the overwhelming popularity of the WDW version which had only 1 theater. It was placed up in what was "Bear Country", far up in the hidden-most back corner of the park, far past The Haunted Mansion along the Rivers of America . . . and despite all this, it did well for a good while. Well enough to hold on until Splash Mountain turned Bear Country into Critter Country and brought people to that corner of the park in numbers never before seen. Then, roughly ten years and one Paul Pressler later, it was decided that Pooh had more potential as a profitable bear than any in the Jamboree, and . . . evicted.

By the time the show was announced to close the numbers had indeed slowed, but it was also 20 years into a run designed with perhaps too much capacity, tucked away in a corner where it competed for traffic against a headlining attraction, in a park where they've never had enough space to hold onto everything. So, all in all, a pretty solid run. I'd be curious to see what would be if there had only been one theater built, but alas.

None of this especially contradicts anything in your post, but the run of the Country Bear Jamboree is an interesting chapter in the story of Disneyland. The first attraction to be cloned from East to West, and perhaps somewhat cursed in the long run by the popularity of the original. But then, late 90's/Early 00's Disneyland were a somewhat dark and tumultuous time. As you said, even Pooh never managed to take over there.

Jenny72

I could probably safely call myself an Epcot purist or nostalgist or whatever, but I admit that my interest in watching films at Epcot has waned over the years. It's just the idea of spending time watching screens while in the parks...I can't really get into it when I spend so much of my life staring at screens. So the idea of adding some kind of live action or interactive portion sounds pretty cool to me. This, however, is not what I would have picked.

I think it was Mike who suggested "Belle guides you through French history" or similar. Ok, maybe you'd need to workshop the idea a bit more to make it work (maybe make it about French food?), but to me, something along those lines would totally fit in with the spirit of Epcot while still giving 21st century screen-overloaded people more than a film (even an excellent one). But I agree that the era for those types of attractions is probably past.

Kman101

I could probably safely call myself an Epcot purist or nostalgist or whatever, but I admit that my interest in watching films at Epcot has waned over the years. It's just the idea of spending time watching screens while in the parks...I can't really get into it when I spend so much of my life staring at screens. So the idea of adding some kind of live action or interactive portion sounds pretty cool to me. This, however, is not what I would have picked.

I think it was Mike who suggested "Belle guides you through French history" or similar. Ok, maybe you'd need to workshop the idea a bit more to make it work (maybe make it about French food?), but to me, something along those lines would totally fit in with the spirit of Epcot while still giving 21st century screen-overloaded people more than a film (even an excellent one). But I agree that the era for those types of attractions is probably past.

Most people don't go to a theme park to sit and watch a movie (so I agree with you). It's a nice compliment to other things but isn't a draw. I wish they'd recognize that. At least with a simulator there's movement and you feel at least somewhat more immersed. It's why I'm surprised 3D movies are still a thing in the parks (I love Muppet*Vision, do not get me wrong, but I feel like the appeal isn't there anymore)

Haymarket2008

IdF has great music. It's the best pieces from the best French composers.

Both Canada and America end with horrible ballads sung horribly.

China's music... unmemorable.

I respect your opinion, but Canada’s theme song is a) fantastic & b) contains some of the best orchestrations of any modern Disney theme park song.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
And again, I completely agree with you 100%, and I was never knocking these opinions of others. Was just repeatedly stating the obvious that people refuse to believe. Like you said, "a majority of theme park guests will prefer the thrill ride or IP Based rides" is literally exactly what I was saying on a loop in various different ways. But I never once said it was the best decision for Epcot. (Nor am I saying you're accusing me of that, only others who were not listening to what I was actually saying.)

An example being KMan101 butting in with the "do you have the facts?" yet willfully agreeing to you literally saying the same thing I've been saying. Marni1971 just being offended by the fact that I'm telling it how it is, which I am shocked to find out that he doesn't understand where I am coming from. And AJH219 being hilariously over-dramatic about the entire situation.

You say a generic statement like "the average theme park guest doesn't care for this attraction" especially in comparison to other attractions as evidence, and they all get bent out of shape and offended because you said one negative thing about an attraction they love.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom