Beast's Castle

Mrs.Toad

I may ramble a bit...forgive me.

And my own personal experiences from WDW in the early 80's to now in 2010 and wondering where it is going, is never far from my mind either.

I just love the place. Always have. And if you are on this website you most likely care to.

There are members on this site who have been there since opening day and remember even farther than I am able to and even those far younger than me who care as well. Very obvious from the amount of posting on this site.

Through management shifts, resignations, removals, etc, there has been various executives, people who call the shots, TDO, big bosses, big cheeses, or whatever people want to call it, without bursting a blood vessel, and progress gets in the way with the creative end when the business end can't reconcile with it and only sees the bottom line. An inertia, if you will, that is a hindrance to park progress. And it happens in businesses in general.

Seriously, it is a fact that there are people that greenlight or give the go ahead for certain things or don't, who can make changes and implement them, and are responsible for the parks and what direction they go in.

I came here to get takes on FLE not to witness petty arguing over TDO, and childish nonsense about posters disliking other posters opinions.

Not sure I care to argue about who exactly the directors are, I care more about the direction the parks go in. I am not a Disney executive or organization hierarchy expert nor do I care to be, nor would I care to be smug about it if I were or believed I were.

If anyone is a Disney executive that is in the boardroom and knows exactly what is going on with FLE, by all means, please correct me...

And fill me in about FLE because one can only speculate, and lately some people without definitive info have a hissy fit. Because a lot of what was fun about learning and getting people's takes on FLE is getting smug and abrasive. And we have a long time before the expansion is unveiled so I hope people cool it.

I would take a guess and say that most people on the site have not memorized every department and name of every high-ranking employee to throw it out on this website, so they give off the impression that they know it all. And if you did it's fantastic, and an asset to discussion, and not something to put other people down about.

And I don't mean referencing imagineer blogs, news releases, and insider info that comes from people that ACTUALLY work for Disney or do hear things referenced in a great discussion. Because that is smart to reference those articles, interviews, texts, etc. but I am sure that information even within the highest ranks can change and shift overtime, and unless we are all in the boardroom, who really knows for sure at this point in time?

Some people know that stuff, take such an interest, and post respectfully and do not throw their knowledge in other people's faces and ridicule their opinions or jump down their throat if they don't know something or disagree.

I feel for the people that have just joined this website or perhaps there are those that are afraid to post. Can't say I blame them.

I have seen it far too often this week and it is sad. I'd like to see less condescencion with differing viewpoints or those that get agitated if people don't know exactly what they do. If they even know anything valuable at all. Yes, people can know a lot regarding Disney info and put it into their posts, yet bring nothing to this forum's table. Believe it, it is happening.

Sorry that I wished to address this but I had someone already flip out at me and I could only imagine them yelling and putting their laptop in a headlock because I had a different opinion on what should be done with possible food selections in a certain attraction. Surely, the end of the world!

Whooh! Enough already.

I have been a member for two years and for some reason I come back this week after a long break and it is verbal claws out on some of the threads.

It's stifling the atmosphere.

And I'm not a lightweight nor easily offended, but so many threads I was on were battling it out and NOT debating light-heartedly as would be appropriate for a thread about a fairytale land in a theme park.

It's the same nonsense all week. People attack for no reason and provoke and I don't blame anyone for responding respectfully and in a firm yet articulate manner. They are not detracting from the posts by any means.

To digress for a moment...

Anyway, in my humble opinion, and that's all it is, the vision for MK shifts just as much as those in charge does. FutureWorld needs help, WS is underdeveloped, HS is missing a cohesive link, just to name a few things overall.

FLE costs money, correcting the above costs money, and I think that is why the FLE threads are so busy. Pondering what could be done elsewhere in the World or being totally behind FLE exactly as projected has everyone thinking.

Since the 80's there have been great dribs and drabs of developments like TOT, EE, and so many more steps in the right direction. But I'm surprised at what has unfolded in the last 20 years. With endless resources and a wealth of creative possibilities the parks have not tapped their full potential.

Will FLE do this? Because for a company that treads so cautiously in recent years this is a huge commitment on their part. Whether anyone agrees or disagrees this is a huge undertaking.

If not TDO, then who? Who is responsible then? Because there has been a disconnect for years.

The service, maintenance, and food quality in general is not what is was for me growing up. And it is sad to see. And to return every year with your once high expectations not being met and really on a slow decline. Not enough to cause a panic, not saying WDW does not have strengths, but people notice these things.

Not just in in these areas but in overall parks progress as the years pass, some moves by... I don't know, let's call them, The Powers That Be That Run WDW in Orlando are questionable.

Now, I have been off the boards for awhile, busy with work, etc. and gone for most of the time that recent news has developed. I have tried to spend this week really delving into what information is out there: artwork, details, plans, news etc. for the FLE for example, because I've been away.

And the bickering is just too much! There are some, very few, but still, that are always at the ready for an attack and I have to wonder why that is.

I, as a member that has been away for awhile, that enjoys the excellent posters, wishes the smug nonsense that really is unecessary and has no place here and on other threads would drop. And I have noticed that is a very few handful of people that seem to post in that fashion on every thread I have the misfortune to also be on.

There is debate...and then there is arguing just to argue...

Which gets the posters that are really seeking people's takes on various subjects pertaining to WDW reeling from the tediousness.

But I am a dreamer....perhaps it will stop...a dreamer...why I love the parks so much. Alas.

And I do not mean SeaCastle and DisneyParksFan 1 who are polite, witty, and excellent debaters either, and who posted before me.

aladdin2007

I may ramble a bit...forgive me.

And my own personal experiences from WDW in the early 80's to now in 2010 and wondering where it is going, is never far from my mind either.

I just love the place. Always have. And if you are on this website you most likely care to.

There are members on this site who have been there since opening day and remember even farther than I am able to and even those far younger than me who care as well. Very obvious from the amount of posting on this site.

Through management shifts, resignations, removals, etc, there has been various executives, people who call the shots, TDO, big bosses, big cheeses, or whatever people want to call it, without bursting a blood vessel, and progress gets in the way with the creative end when the business end can't reconcile with it and only sees the bottom line. An inertia, if you will, that is a hindrance to park progress. And it happens in businesses in general.

Seriously, it is a fact that there are people that greenlight or give the go ahead for certain things or don't, who can make changes and implement them, and are responsible for the parks and what direction they go in.

I came here to get takes on FLE not to witness petty arguing over TDO, and childish nonsense about posters disliking other posters opinions.

Not sure I care to argue about who exactly the directors are, I care more about the direction the parks go in. I am not a Disney executive or organization hierarchy expert nor do I care to be, nor would I care to be smug about it if I were or believed I were.

If anyone is a Disney executive that is in the boardroom and knows exactly what is going on with FLE, by all means, please correct me...

And fill me in about FLE because one can only speculate, and lately some people without definitive info have a hissy fit. Because a lot of what was fun about learning and getting people's takes on FLE is getting smug and abrasive. And we have a long time before the expansion is unveiled so I hope people cool it.

I would take a guess and say that most people on the site have not memorized every department and name of every high-ranking employee to throw it out on this website, so they give off the impression that they know it all. And if you did it's fantastic, and an asset to discussion, and not something to put other people down about.

And I don't mean referencing imagineer blogs, news releases, and insider info that comes from people that ACTUALLY work for Disney or do hear things referenced in a great discussion. Because that is smart to reference those articles, interviews, texts, etc. but I am sure that information even within the highest ranks can change and shift overtime, and unless we are all in the boardroom, who really knows for sure at this point in time?

Some people know that stuff, take such an interest, and post respectfully and do not throw their knowledge in other people's faces and ridicule their opinions or jump down their throat if they don't know something or disagree.

I feel for the people that have just joined this website or perhaps there are those that are afraid to post. Can't say I blame them.

I have seen it far too often this week and it is sad. I'd like to see less condescencion with differing viewpoints or those that get agitated if people don't know exactly what they do. If they even know anything valuable at all. Yes, people can know a lot regarding Disney info and put it into their posts, yet bring nothing to this forum's table. Believe it, it is happening.

Sorry that I wished to address this but I had someone already flip out at me and I could only imagine them yelling and putting their laptop in a headlock because I had a different opinion on what should be done with possible food selections in a certain attraction. Surely, the end of the world!

Whooh! Enough already.

I have been a member for two years and for some reason I come back this week after a long break and it is verbal claws out on some of the threads.

It's stifling the atmosphere.

And I'm not a lightweight nor easily offended, but so many threads I was on were battling it out and NOT debating light-heartedly as would be appropriate for a thread about a fairytale land in a theme park.

It's the same nonsense all week. People attack for no reason and provoke and I don't blame anyone for responding respectfully and in a firm yet articulate manner. They are not detracting from the posts by any means.

To digress for a moment...

Anyway, in my humble opinion, and that's all it is, the vision for MK shifts just as much as those in charge does. FutureWorld needs help, WS is underdeveloped, HS is missing a cohesive link, just to name a few things overall.

FLE costs money, correcting the above costs money, and I think that is why the FLE threads are so busy. Pondering what could be done elsewhere in the World or being totally behind FLE exactly as projected has everyone thinking.

Since the 80's there have been great dribs and drabs of developments like TOT, EE, and so many more steps in the right direction. But I'm surprised at what has unfolded in the last 20 years. With endless resources and a wealth of creative possibilities the parks have not tapped their full potential.

Will FLE do this? Because for a company that treads so cautiously in recent years this is a huge commitment on their part. Whether anyone agrees or disagrees this is a huge undertaking.

If not TDO, then who? Who is responsible then? Because there has been a disconnect for years.

The service, maintenance, and food quality in general is not what is was for me growing up. And it is sad to see. And to return every year with your once high expectations not being met and really on a slow decline. Not enough to cause a panic, not saying WDW does not have strengths, but people notice these things.

Not just in in these areas but in overall parks progress as the years pass, some moves by... I don't know, let's call them, The Powers That Be That Run WDW in Orlando are questionable.

Now, I have been off the boards for awhile, busy with work, etc. and gone for most of the time that recent news has developed. I have tried to spend this week really delving into what information is out there: artwork, details, plans, news etc. for the FLE for example, because I've been away.

And the bickering is just too much! There are some, very few, but still, that are always at the ready for an attack and I have to wonder why that is.

I, as a member that has been away for awhile, that enjoys the excellent posters, wishes the smug nonsense that really is unecessary and has no place here and on other threads would drop. And I have noticed that is a very few handful of people that seem to post in that fashion on every thread I have the misfortune to also be on.

There is debate...and then there is arguing just to argue...

Which gets the posters that are really seeking people's takes on various subjects pertaining to WDW reeling from the tediousness.

But I am a dreamer....perhaps it will stop...a dreamer...why I love the parks so much. Alas.

And I do not mean SeaCastle and DisneyParksFan 1 who are polite, witty, and excellent debaters either, and who posted before me.

Never stop dreaming, and keep loving WDW. Despite some things here and there Im not happy with, its still my favorite place to go. Lets all go have dinner in the beasts castle now or gastons tavern. Oh wait I guess we have a year or two before we can, but Im there already! :wave:

jt04

Yes, but unlike what you said TDO is still at fault. There's no way around that.

No, I don't accept that. The problems with WDW management until recently are rooted in past mistakes. They were a symptom of a corporate mindset that Eisner brought with him. Eisner was hired to grow the company and he did a great job at that. But there were unintended consequences including what happened to WDW's corporate culture that did not value creativity (show) as much as the bottom line and the parks suffered.

But I see signs of changes for the better. HM refurb, Pixar Place, the FLE, and maintenance getting the priority it should have always had. Yes, it is too slow, but changing the entrenched mindset that was so widespread is a huge task.

ClasikRok

Fantasy Isn't just for Girls :)

I know that a lot of the downscaling of the FLE is due to the less than expected $$ earned from Princess & The Frog (which I thought was terrific) and the assumption that this was due to Boys disinterest in anything Princess related.

If that is the case, why not add something non-Princess-y?? My first thought was definitely a Neverland area which other posters also brought up, which would of course include a Tink/Fairies M&G. I'm not sure I agree with the moving of Peter Pan's Flight. I'd prefer to see something new and completely different in this area. PPF is def a classic, but I don't think I would be upset if it was removed altogether, as long as a new and more interesting Pan ride was introduced to the parks. Disneyland would still have the ride for anyone who gets Nostalgic.

WDW could also most definitely use attractions for Pinocchio, Fantasia, Ichabod Crane/Sleepy Hollow, Sword in the Stone, Jungle Book...maybe a Jungle Book attraction would work better in AK :animwink:

Also, why not a dark ride with Mickey, Donald, Goofy? I was always disappointed they never really had anything with the classic characters beyond ToonTown. Philharmagic is definitely great...but why not a Mickey dark ride?

deWild

I know many will disagree with me, but I feel that Pixie Hollow didn't have the takeoff that Disney was hoping for. If it wasn't added to the FLE, I wouldn't mind.

DisneyNut2007

I know that a lot of the downscaling of the FLE is due to the less than expected $$ earned from Princess & The Frog (which I thought was terrific) and the assumption that this was due to Boys disinterest in anything Princess related.

If that is the case, why not add something non-Princess-y?? My first thought was definitely a Neverland area which other posters also brought up, which would of course include a Tink/Fairies M&G. I'm not sure I agree with the moving of Peter Pan's Flight. I'd prefer to see something new and completely different in this area. PPF is def a classic, but I don't think I would be upset if it was removed altogether, as long as a new and more interesting Pan ride was introduced to the parks. Disneyland would still have the ride for anyone who gets Nostalgic.

WDW could also most definitely use attractions for Pinocchio, Fantasia, Ichabod Crane/Sleepy Hollow, Sword in the Stone, Jungle Book...maybe a Jungle Book attraction would work better in AK :animwink:

Also, why not a dark ride with Mickey, Donald, Goofy? I was always disappointed they never really had anything with the classic characters beyond ToonTown. Philharmagic is definitely great...but why not a Mickey dark ride?

How many times must clowns like you be reminded not to restart already-debunked rumors and not to ask for unrealistic things and not to go overboard with being an armchair Imagineer?! :mad:

RSoxNo1

As far as I know, the Princess Meet and Greets were looked as being unnecessary, but they'll be sticking around. Pixie Hollow was looked at a similar vein and was not so lucky. That's more or less in line with everything that's been said on here.

wizards8507

Original Poster
As far as I know, the Princess Meet and Greets were looked as being unnecessary, but they'll be sticking around. Pixie Hollow was looked at a similar vein and was not so lucky. That's more or less in line with everything that's been said on here.

Is this from Jim Hill?

DisneyNut2007

Learn to listen to Jt04. He's very wise.

TP2000

Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the M&G's stay physically, but get some of the whiz-bang special effects inside the structures scaled back or cut entirely. So that the M&G's just become pleasant looking Princess homes with basic M&G photo facilities inside in air conditioned comfort.

I wonder where Dumbo slots in exactly? That was a big part of the eastern section, and they'd have to remove part of Toontown Fair to get it in there, right? If they aren't going ahead with the rest of the development around Dumbo, can they still plop DoubleDumbo in there without bulldozing the rest and making Toontown Fair just a grassy hill for the next few years?

wizards8507

Original Poster
Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the M&G's stay physically, but get some of the whiz-bang special effects inside the structures scaled back or cut entirely. So that the M&G's just become pleasant looking Princess homes with basic M&G photo facilities inside in air conditioned comfort.

I wonder where Dumbo slots in exactly? That was a big part of the eastern section, and they'd have to remove part of Toontown Fair to get it in there, right? If they aren't going ahead with the rest of the development around Dumbo, can they still plop DoubleDumbo in there without bulldozing the rest and making Toontown Fair just a grassy hill for the next few years?

I know that a lot is still up in the air but I can't imagine TTF get's demolished without SOMETHING replacing it. The LAST thing the Magic Kingdom needs is diminished capacity.

GrumpyFan

I can imagine that the Princess M&Gs will stay, but be changed drastically from what they were originally spec'd. Absent in the original plans were any apparent gift shops and merchandising. It's been rumored that merchandising wasn't too happy about losing the big gift shop in TTF, Toontown Hall of Fame where the princesses and others can currently be seen. If I could venture a guess, I would say that the M&Gs will turn into some kind of big gift shop in the middle of Fantasyland, perhaps themed as a forest, with the M&Gs on the east and west sides and the gift shop in the middle with doors on the north and south sides.

Horizonsfan

If they go with the south location for Dumbo, it looks like (according to the out-of-date model) all that would be demo'd is the Barnstormer barn and the area to the left of that. That would allow for northern TT to stay but would be a little jarring thematically IMO.

RSoxNo1

The R & D for the Cinderella effect is being shared with Tokyo, and is presumably complete (or at least close to complete). I doubt they would cut the effect. They'd be more apt to cut the entire Meet and Greet and it doesn't seem like that's happening.

DisneyParksFan1

The R & D for the Cinderella effect is being shared with Tokyo, and is presumably complete (or at least close to complete). I doubt they would cut the effect. They'd be more apt to cut the entire Meet and Greet and it doesn't seem like that's happening.

Lol, yeah Tokyo's had that effect ever since 1998 for their 15th Anniversary Castle Show, Viva Magic. Which in my opinion, the best castle show in the history of castle shows.

JustInTime

I think the Chateau will stay. No questions. We need that spot. It's one of the areas that I am most excited about. Not only will the Cinderella story come full circle in one park, it also gives a spot for the Fairy Godmother, Rats/Birds and most of all a more appropriate spot the the Tramaine family. They are an attraction themselves and a must for every visit.

Disneyson 1

Lol, yeah Tokyo's had that effect ever since 1998 for their 15th Anniversary Castle Show, Viva Magic. Which in my opinion, the best castle show in the history of castle shows.

I doubt they're going to use the same technique as Viva Magic. With a much more "up-close" setting, the effect would become transparent. I betcha they're going to find a way to have her dress look less bulky and to have her hair "poof" by itself. And you couldn't see glass slippers from a stage. Up-close, guest will expect those slippers to magically appear on her feet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom