Beastly Kingdom may come back to Animal Kingdom!

patsfan567

Original Poster
Heres another Reply about the beastly kingdom rumor from screamscape.

???? - Beastly Kingdom - (3/16/06) The rumors about revival of Beastly Kingdom are starting again, claiming that it will take over Camp Minnie Mickey and the characters Meet & Greets will then be dispersed throughout the park. Taking over this site may also mean the end to the Pocahontas and Lion King shows… though we’ve heard that Lion King could be moved and updated to inhabit a new venue in Africa instead.
Like before, the highlight attraction being talked about is a coaster style ride where you encounter a huge Dragon. I’m not sure what kind of coaster may be used here since the existence of Everest is sure to throw everything into a redesign, but the word “hybrid” was mentioned. I’m not sure what that means in Disney-Speak but in the coaster community the term usually refers to a water flume coaster like the nearby Journey To Atlantis at SeaWorld. The second E-Ticket ride in development is also said to be a dark ride concept as well, but I’ve heard nothing else right now. The kiddies are not being left out however, as a small assortment of kiddie rides are also said to be part of the mix along with a new show theater. [FONT='Times New Roman', Times, Serif, serif]
[/FONT]

GothMickey

Anyone catch this quote "The kiddies are not being left out however, as a small assortment of kiddie rides are also said to be part of the mix along with a new show theater."?? Could they be talking about Flik's play area???? Why am I thinking Flik's play area is more likely that BK? AGHHHH

WDWFREAK53

I highly doubt that we'll see another "major coaster" in the Animal Kingdom. Why? Everest is enough, as far as coasters are concerned...for now.

A dark ride is much needed...and would be a fantastic addition to the Animal Kingdom...why not a dark ride that focuses on the different biomes of the Earth and it's animal life? Centrally locate it and it can be an overview of the park just like the Great Movie Ride is an overview of MGM (touching on different genres of movies and getting you excited to be a "part of the movies"). This would be a perfect attraction for Camp M&M because you'd get to it before you get to any of the continents.

S.E.A.

the Dragon Tower Coaster is an inverted coaster it's different enough from Everest that most people might not even compare the two. especially when you factor in the artistic styles of the two, with DT being more cartoony than the realism promoted by Everest. and it looks like FOTLK is finally going to be where it should be, in Africa...hope we get something like the HK version.

there;s no room to put an all theme-encomapsing dark ride in the center of DAK. TGMR should be a diffferent case considering it is what inspired the entire park in the first place.

Camp Minnie-Mickey really should be gotten rid of already, it is the sole flaw to DAK's perfection, even Dino-Rama makes more sense to keep than CMM

WDWFREAK53

Ghostbuster626 said:
Well the rumor even mentions it won't be a traditional coaster and no they arent talking about Flik's Fun Fair those days are over.

Yes, I know this is screamscape so I'm not giving it one ounce of merit...but...if it's to be a hybrid coaster...then, it'll be different enough...but even if it's an inverted coaster, it's just another ride that non-coaster-lovers are going to be sitting on a bench while they wait for the rest of the group.

S.E.A.

Ghostbuster626 said:
Well the rumor even mentions it won't be a traditional coaster and no they arent talking about Flik's Fun Fair those days are over.

please let they be talking about the incredibly elaborate Unicorn Maze

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
WDWFREAK53 said:
I highly doubt that we'll see another "major coaster" in the Animal Kingdom. Why? Everest is enough, as far as coasters are concerned...for now.

A dark ride is much needed...and would be a fantastic addition to the Animal Kingdom...why not a dark ride that focuses on the different biomes of the Earth and it's animal life? Centrally locate it and it can be an overview of the park just like the Great Movie Ride is an overview of MGM (touching on different genres of movies and getting you excited to be a "part of the movies"). This would be a perfect attraction for Camp M&M because you'd get to it before you get to any of the continents.
I would agree. I would much rather see a well done dark ride than a coaster. The problem with a dark ride is the average guest doesn't appreciate them. Most park goers want to go Mach 9 through a wall of fire rather than be immersed in a great story.

Pete C

Personally, I think LMA is one of the best attractions at WDW. I went to MGM last year purely to go on ToT, and was hoping LMA would be a nice throw in. It turned out to be WAY more than we bargained for. My two friends and I, all of whom are car enthusiasts, were floored by this show. It was incredible, and not just a decent show...it was INTENSE! I guess it depends on how much you like cars, but I don't see this as a generational thing at all. There are plenty of car nuts that are teenagers all the way up to senior citizens. The tricks these guys do with cars is simply out of this world. I'd go as far as to say it's the most exciting live show I have ever seen, and that includes Vegas shows.

Pete

Hobnail Boot

The rumor Screamscape posted mentions Dragon Tower becoming a water coaster similar to Journey to Atlantis. I don't know about ya'll, but JTA is one of my all time favorite rides and to see a water coaster done Disney style would make me smile for years to come.

KumbaRider

Master Yoda said:
I would agree. I would much rather see a well done dark ride than a coaster. The problem with a dark ride is the average guest doesn't appreciate them. Most park goers want to go Mach 9 through a wall of fire rather than be immersed in a great story.

I agree that a dark ride is greatly needed. But why does adding a coaster automatically mean it won't have a great story? I do agree that many of the coasters of the past are not heavily themed through a "story", but in the past few years it seems to be a greatly increasing trend. Revenge of the Mummy at Universal Studios is an excellent example of a great story combined with a great attraction. Expedition Everest likewise has a great immersive story as part of a roller coaster thrill ride. Even SheiKra at Busch Gardens has excellent theming and a story (not as obvious as RoTM or E:E). These qualities of design were not typically present 10 years ago. I feel that in the coming years roller coasters will be designed to immerse guests through theming rather than break records, and a way to do this is to give them exciting stories. In a sense they will be the new "hybrids" fusing dark ride show scenes with roller coaster transitioning elements.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
KumbaRider said:
I agree that a dark ride is greatly needed. But why does adding a coaster automatically mean it won't have a great story? I do agree that many of the coasters of the past are not heavily themed through a "story", but in the past few years it seems to be a greatly increasing trend. Revenge of the Mummy at Universal Studios is an excellent example of a great story combined with a great attraction. Expedition Everest likewise has a great immersive story as part of a roller coaster thrill ride. Even SheiKra at Busch Gardens has excellent theming and a story (not as obvious as RoTM or E:E). These qualities of design were not typically present 10 years ago. I feel that in the coming years roller coasters will be designed to immerse guests through theming rather than break records, and a way to do this is to give them exciting stories. In a sense they will be the new "hybrids" fusing dark ride show scenes with roller coaster transitioning elements.
I agree. There are many coasters out there like the ones you mentioned that have great stories and theming. It unfortunately still doesn't change the fact that my 4 year old daughter and my 75 year old mother can't get on them. The park going consumers desires have changed. If you asked the average guest if they would prefer a thrill ride with theming over an even better themed non-thrill dark ride the thrill ride would most definitely win out. Hence we have the construction of thrill rides while dark rides are going the way of the doe-doe.

WDWFREAK53

KumbaRider said:

Does MGM need another coaster? Does the Magic Kingdom? Does that mean that I don't like coasters? No, I love them...but, at the same time, when I go with my family, I hate to say..."Wait for us while we ride..." or "The line's only 30 minutes...do you mind if we go on?" What they need is a good quality attraction that the "non-thrill-junkies" can appreciate and enjoy along with the thrill-junkies in their family.

Epcot could use a heavily themed coaster (only because there isn't one...but...at the same time, Epcot doesn't need any more thrill attractions for the time being).

Magic Kingdom: 14.2% of the attractions have a height requirement
Epcot: 17.6% of the attractions have a height requirement
MGM: 18.7% of the attractions have a height requirement
Animal Kingdom: 23.5% of the attractions have a height requirement

You add another attraction with a height restriction and you're talking almost 30% of the attractions needing a height requirement.

If anything...MK needs another e-ticket thrill...

(Yes, I did include the walking trails in the Animal Kingdom attractions...the only things I didn't include were the countries that don't have an attraction (like Italy...but I did include Canada).

So, I'm not against thrill rides and attractions...but I am against an overkill of them in one park.

For instance...here's an overkill...

Islands of Adventure: 56.3% of the attractions have a height requirement.

KumbaRider

Master Yoda said:
I agree. There are many coasters out there like the ones you mentioned that have great stories and theming. It unfortunately still doesn't change the fact that my 4 year old daughter and my 75 year old mother can't get on them. The park going consumers desires have changed. If you asked the average guest if they would prefer a thrill ride with theming over an even better themed non-thrill dark ride the thrill ride would most definitely win out. Hence we have the construction of thrill rides while dark rides are going the way of the doe-doe.

I understand what you mean. I hate it when people have to wait others ride Tower of Terror and so on. It's just that many people that I know assume that a dark ride isn't "fun" or that a roller coaster doesn't have a "story". Fortunately we are now seeing that when roller coasters are added they are immersed with a great story. My hope is that we will see not only new dark rides, but maybe some new technology in terms of the ride systems. For instance, a new dark ride that may have a small thrill ride element, but not at the intensity of others. Adding an element of 'fun' the way Pirates has its drop, or something like that...That is what I hope to see in new dark rides that will allow entire families to enjoy.

I also feel AK needs a good quality dark ride like PotC or Spaceship Earth, since in its current state its attractions primarily offer either intense thrills or passive viewing. (Dinosaur vs. Jungle Trail, etc)

KumbaRider

WDWFREAK53 said:
Does MGM need another coaster? Does the Magic Kingdom? Does that mean that I don't like coasters? No, I love them...but, at the same time, when I go with my family, I hate to say..."Wait for us while we ride..." or "The line's only 30 minutes...do you mind if we go on?" What they need is a good quality attraction that the "non-thrill-junkies" can appreciate and enjoy along with the thrill-junkies in their family.

Epcot could use a heavily themed coaster (only because there isn't one...but...at the same time, Epcot doesn't need any more thrill attractions for the time being).

Magic Kingdom: 14.2% of the attractions have a height requirement
Epcot: 17.6% of the attractions have a height requirement
MGM: 18.7% of the attractions have a height requirement
Animal Kingdom: 23.5% of the attractions have a height requirement

You add another attraction with a height restriction and you're talking almost 30% of the attractions needing a height requirement.

If anything...MK needs another e-ticket thrill...

(Yes, I did include the walking trails in the Animal Kingdom attractions...the only things I didn't include were the countries that don't have an attraction (like Italy...but I did include Canada).

So, I'm not against thrill rides and attractions...but I am against an overkill of them in one park.

For instance...here's an overkill...

Islands of Adventure: 56.3% of the attractions have a height requirement.

But this is what I would like to change. Just because something is titled a "coaster" doesn't mean it has to be fast and out of control. I would like to see coaster technology incorporated into dark rides in new ways. Many dark rides are on coaster track at a slower speed, and I would like to see something that helps bridge the gap between the two.

In many instances if someone hears that it is a "coaster" they automatically say it is too intense for them, or so on. I'd like to see this change, by adding new attractions that have elements of fun but are not intense. There is a difference between excitement and intensity, and I'd like to see dark rides with elements of excitement that many can enjoy and want to ride repeatedly.

Connor002

Ghostbuster626 said:

Ugh... perhaps if I put this in bold it may sink in...

You ("Ghostbuster626") do not know if that is true, therefore you cannot pass your assumption off as fact.

WDWFREAK53

KumbaRider said:
But this is what I would like to change. Just because something is titled a "coaster" doesn't mean it has to be fast and out of control. I would like to see coaster technology incorporated into dark rides in new ways. Many dark rides are on coaster track at a slower speed, and I would like to see something that helps bridge the gap between the two.

In many instances if someone hears that it is a "coaster" they automatically say it is too intense for them, or so on. I'd like to see this change, by adding new attractions that have elements of fun but are not intense. There is a difference between excitement and intensity, and I'd like to see dark rides with elements of excitement that many can enjoy and want to ride repeatedly.

Isn't Imagination on coaster rails? They're already doing this...but, to be a true "coaster," it has to rely, somewhat, on gravity to move it along the rails. So, to move it slowly and still be a "coaster" the decline would have to be very very slight...and, unless you're giving it a "boost" to start from a stop, it would take a while to get it rolling.

KumbaRider

Yes, Imgaination is, and does go up and down slightly.

What I am now picturing is something like TTA...that is a fun and relaxing attraction that MANY people enjoy. If you could use the same LIM technology at certain points, adding that to a well themed dark ride with transitions accelerated TTA style, with more speed at certain points, would make a great attraction. It would be slow overall to convey the story, while certain exciting elements could be added from the LIMs. Obviously it wouldn't be as spread out as TTA, but that's the general idea I am thinking of. It could have slight changes in slope as well either up or down to facilitate the story.

Actually many aspects of TTA are already what I am picturing....this new attraction could be a condensed but slightly tweaked version.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom