Beastly kingdom?/dragon roller coaster ?

adr315

Originally posted by Kicker
Kraken is not "close" to being a hypercoaster's height. Kraken is only about 158 feet tall. The term "hypercoaster" refers to coasters over 250 feet tall.

And isn't that 'just no one has built one', like I said, getting building rights for a coaster that high in a high air traffic area is next to impossible. That's the reason the infamous 'Busch Garden Hyper" has never gotten past the rumor stage.

Buildings are different then rides. Liability with rides compared to hotels are a completely different beast.

Correction: Hypercoaster is 200 ft tall, not 250.........

Legacy

I wasn't sure on the hyper-thing. I had heard that there was one with a different name for coasters 200-249 feet tall.

Oh well, my B

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Lovecraft
RE: those props

My brother went to Animal Kingdom the first week it opened and rode the river ride thing (not kali river rapids, of course) the other one.

He told me he remembered props of fallen and melted knights outside a dragon cave.

Been reading here for a while, first post.

But I was at AK before it opened (during the soft opening) and their were no props of that type there.

JohnBeaste

I was part of the original Discovery River Boat crew in '98 and "Tale of the Dragon" from the DCACentral site seems to be an accurate account of what happened. When I saw the pictures at E.B. Effects website of the knight's armor it really brought back some memories. I remember seeing pretty much all of the knights displayed out on the rocks in one way or another.

The earliest copy of the script that I still have is from after the removal of the knights (dated 3/18/98):

"This stretch of the river pays tribute to creatures of myth and imagination. Up ahead is Dragon Rocks, home to the last of the great fire-breathers. Of course we all know that dragons don't really exist. Or do they? <BIG BURST OF FLAME> Okay, we seem to be out of harm's way. We'll be passing by Africa soon."

I actually started putting together a web site about the Riverboats a while back, but never finished it. I have a couple pictures and some information about dragon rocks here:

http://cse.unl.edu/~jraises/boats/tour/03-dragon.html

If you look closely enough at the picture of the rocks without the flames, you can see one of the suits of armor sitting atop the rock just right of the picture's center.

The burst of flame was triggered from transmitters on board the boat. Were we given a small device that looked like a garade door opener that was to be used to disengage the flame should our boat drift too close to the cave.

During the days before cast previews, some of the construction workers had the dragon rocks sound system thumping some music for a while.

An amusing line I found in the script from 4/9/98 (after the "Animal Expeditions" were in place) refers to the caves:

"Tarantulas like to dig burrows into the ground ... live in out of the way places, like, under our houses, in burrows, or even in caves, like those over there on the shore."

I did hear of an attempt to use the boats in the seven seas lagoon at one time, but this never went through. As far as I know, the boats remain at their dock behind the tarzan show.

JohnBeaste

JohnBeaste

I wish I did. Unfortuntaly, along with the knight statues, it was yanked before the cast preview days began. I didn't want to chance taking a camera in during that time, so I was never able to get a shot of it.

JohnBeaste

JohnBeaste

The statue was about maybe 10 feet high and looked like a stone statue, glossy and white. However, after a few weeks they got around to "ageing" it to make it look much older. This way it didn't look to bright and new. It was done in typical disney fashion similar to the way the boats themselves were "aged". There were streaks of rust brown/orage and greenish gray colors running down it.

JohnBeaste

djronnieb

Thrawn said:
Been reading here for a while, first post.

But I was at AK before it opened (during the soft opening) and their were no props of that type there.

OMG!!! Look out history buffs... it's Thrawns FIRST post!!!!! Oh the excitment!!! I miss Thrawn... :sohappy:

Sledge

Account Suspended
djronnieb said:
OMG!!! Look out history buffs... it's Thrawns FIRST post!!!!! Oh the excitment!!! I miss Thrawn... :sohappy:
And this would be the type of pointless bump that people are talking about in the RoF thread.

I wonder when Thrawn first turned into an _______hole. Find that post. That one would be more interesting. :lookaroun :D

goofyfan13

djronnieb said:

Don't you have anything better to do with your time than search for 4-5 year old threads and bump them for pointless reasons?:rolleyes:

Valawen9

Sledge said:
And this would be the type of pointless bump that people are talking about in the RoF thread.

I wonder when Thrawn first turned into an _______hole. Find that post. That one would be more interesting. :lookaroun :D

Now Jason...play nice.:p :drevil:

DDPGambit

Maybe it's just because I've been gone for the last two years, but what's so "special" about this Thrawn fellow? He got suspended, so let's let it die.

FigmentJedi

Thrawn was one of the rougher people here. He's believed to be the commie terrorist robot from beyond the moon that made Grizz go away.

I miss Grizz, too. Did he move to another board? Wish he would come back. Thrawn was a complete troll though, and to have a good time on the boards you have to learn to ignore the trolls.

CaptainMichael

CommunicoreBabe said:
I miss Grizz, too. Did he move to another board? Wish he would come back. Thrawn was a complete troll though, and to have a good time on the boards you have to learn to ignore the trolls.
Thrawn wasn't really a troll, just a egotistical maniac. He just pushed the wrong buttons one day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom