Be Our Guest Is A Joke....OK, Somewhat

Club Cooloholic

My fiancé and I ate there twice on our trip between 12/11 and 12/16. We enjoyed our time at be our guest and the cost does seem to add up quickly. For example, we love the Banfi Rosa Regale at home and it’s like 25 bucks a bottle... but Be Our Guest charges 59 a bottle. That’s a pretty good markup for gullible first timers and people who are just desperate for a romantic time.
That's not the worst markup I have seen. Harder to find one that doesn't have outrageous markups than does, for instance I have seen at even places like Sci Fi a 12 or 15 dollar bottle marked up to 45 to 50. And then you have the beer, which charges at least 30 percent more than you pay at pretty much anywhere else outside the world(and I am taking restaurants), other than high end places and stadiums.

JIMINYCR

They are all, with the exception of a handful of signature+ restaurants, the same menu items with different names.
I disagree. Yes there are certain items that appear that are similar from place to place because Disney needs to appeal to those who are not adventurous or trying to feed standard selections to their fussy kids. But past those items, the menus do offer creative dishes, that are unique and delicious. There are also at various times select restaurants that have Secret Menu offerings that guests have to ask for because they are exotic enough that they wouldnt be ordered enough to be put on a menu, and they change.
And yes, there has at times been a drop in quality, menu changes, and guest favorite items that come and go, in certain restaurants but usually thats been tied to the changing of the chefs. Thats why its always good to keep up with those who dine frequently, and run the reviews throughout the parks and resorts over time.

CAV

I disagree. Yes there are certain items that appear that are similar from place to place because Disney needs to appeal to those who are not adventurous or trying to feed standard selections to their fussy kids. But past those items, the menus do offer creative dishes, that are unique and delicious. There are also at various times select restaurants that have Secret Menu offerings that guests have to ask for because they are exotic enough that they wouldnt be ordered enough to be put on a menu, and they change.
And yes, there has at times been a drop in quality, menu changes, and guest favorite items that come and go, in certain restaurants but usually thats been tied to the changing of the chefs. Thats why its always good to keep up with those who dine frequently, and run the reviews throughout the parks and resorts over time.
Disney is not trying to, "appeal to those who are not adventurous." Plain and simple, the fewer food SKU's they have, the lower the expense for a number of reasons. Just about every restaurant has a beef dish, a chicken dish, scallops or fish, and a plant based dish. With slight variations, they are the same. Sometimes, they are exactly the same with just a different description.

tanc

Reminds me of Takumi, great food but the portions are so small. It's like a sample size practically for like $70.

JIMINYCR

Disney is not trying to, "appeal to those who are not adventurous." Plain and simple, the fewer food SKU's they have, the lower the expense for a number of reasons. Just about every restaurant has a beef dish, a chicken dish, scallops or fish, and a plant based dish. With slight variations, they are the same. Sometimes, they are exactly the same with just a different description.
Of course the restaurants have meat, fish, chicken, and plant dishes on their menus. They are covering all aspects that guests might want. Even if I were to go to an italian restaurant, I'd find a dish that wasnt just pasta. If they were to offer one kind of specialty they would only draw those who enjoy only fish for ex. Give me some examples of what you describe as the same dishes with just different descriptions from multiple Disney restaurants.

Hockey89

Of course the restaurants have meat, fish, chicken, and plant dishes on their menus. They are covering all aspects that guests might want. Even if I were to go to an italian restaurant, I'd find a dish that wasnt just pasta. If they were to offer one kind of specialty they would only draw those who enjoy only fish for ex. Give me some examples of what you describe as the same dishes with just different descriptions from multiple Disney restaurants.
The filet. You see it at every place. With a risotto and asparagus ect. You can find that same dish at most of the sig places. It’s the same dish with a twist. We can do this with most of the same dishes Disney serves at all sig places. They dumb it down for the Masses with limited options so they can hit their price point because of DDP. I can’t even believe this is a debate.

unmitigated disaster

I'm guessing you're not including Tangierine Cafe in this.

Dad 2 M & M

High price and small portions....convert to a Sig......and people keep coming.

We enjoy BoG for what it is, but do wonder, how high could the price go before the crowd would be reduced?

Peruse this thread, and any other, and yet they still come to the point getting the ressie remains the toughest challenge....

Roakor

We used to like going there for lunch. The food was ok, nothing to write home about but nothing bad either. You didnt go for the food. You went to eat inside the beast's castle. Since they converted it to a sig restraunt I have no interest in going. They are not charging you $62 for the food, they are charging you that to eat inside the beast's castle. This was am obvious cash grab on Disney's part. They realized they had something extremely popular and could profit from it, and they did.

aladdin2007

The filet. You see it at every place. With a risotto and asparagus ect. You can find that same dish at most of the sig places. It’s the same dish with a twist. We can do this with most of the same dishes Disney serves at all sig places. They dumb it down for the Masses with limited options so they can hit their price point because of DDP. I can’t even believe this is a debate.

dont forget the cheap horrible hard green beans being the only vegetable you can get property wide. its terrible. and they are awful about substituting anything in most locations. they operate on a worldwar 2 style rationing system anymore.

slipperalwaysfits

BOG is now don't eat there territory - frankly the same can be said for Royal Table. Incredible dining locations with poor dining.

I was really dissapointed in the Royal Table. The princesses were just "hi, picture," no personality or character at all, even when I tried to ask them questions, they weren't very engaging. We saw 5 princesses that day and not one of them was very personable.
The food portion was bland (I ordered the french toast for breakfast) and small. I wasn't impressed. It isn't worth it for me to eat there.

I agree, BOG is pricy and you're paying for the ambiance. Their food is good and obviously, some of that money goes to the food. I agree, the portion sizes on the sides for entrees are surprisingly small, but I'm sure you could always ask for more. Also, I wish they had more of an option for dessert. I understand why they changed it but not everyone wants the trio. I get 90% of people want to try the Grey Stuff but some can't. I'm surprised there isn't another dessert option on there, when there are several different appetizers and entrees.

chriskbrown

I know I'm gonna get smashed but maybe its because I'm used to paying NYC dining prices, I've never found the WDW food pricing to be completely outrageous for the quality...
Well some of us not NYC have to get use to the sticker shock. I will say last time I found paying $14 bucks for a burger at Geyser Point was actually not bad and worth it.

Phonedave

Chicken Breast.

BOG - Poulet Rouge Chicken with Faro, Vegetables, and Garlic Sauce

Tutto Italia - Petto di Pollo - Grilled chicken breast, fettuccine pasta, parmesan cream

La Hacendia de San Angel - Pollo al Pastor - Adobo-marinated Chicken Breast with Chili Arbol Glaze and Pineapple Relish and Grilled Vegetables

Brown Derby - Bell & Evans Chicken Breast Red Pepper-Toma Cheese Polenta Cake, Honey-glazed Carrots, Madeira Jus

Big River Grill - Habanero Chicken grilled chicken with sweet and spicy habanero glaze, topped with pico de gallo, avocado and cilantro, served with seasonal vegetables and cilantro lime rice

California Grill - Poulet Rouge Chicken Guava Barbeque, Fried Green Tomatoes, 3 Bean Salad, Black Bean Aioli

Citricos - Chicken Mediterranean creamy Polenta, Tomato Fondue, spring Vegetables, Chicken Jus;

and the list goes on and on. I stopped looking at menus because it was getting tedious.

The recipe is: Grill the chicken breast (maybe you need to throw it in a carboy of marinade first), add the sauce, pull the sides from the steam tray, and serve it up.

There are about a half dozen other chicken dishes that instead of "grill the chicken breast" begin with "bread the chicken breast and deep fry" and then continue with add the sauce and sides.

There is also the oh so creative and different dishes consisting of "grill the chicken breast THEN CUT IT UP, put it IN the sauce, add sides and serve."

There is a place by me that has a dish called "Chicken Ala You" on the menu. Then it lists about 10 ways you can get it - PIcatta, lemon, saltimbocca, etc. At least they are honest about it (and it's a bar, so it is expected, and I think it's about $15 if I recall)

Maybe they should market that to WDW.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I never tried it but I have read that they will tweak things at the guests request.

NelleBelle

Would love to eat here to see the inside and ambience but as a vegetarian, no way am I paying that absurd price for a. Wry limited price fixe menu. The veg. option did not look appealing at all. Would rather eat at California Grill where I’ve had the chef make me something personal due to my mushroom allergy (the entree had wild mushrooms and that meal, btw, was one of the best I’ve had on property)!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom