Backpack or pack?

enough

I guess it could be a generational thing, but beyond my aesthetic objections I find them to be too small to accommodate the things I want carry (snacks, camera, water, sunblock, etc. etc.).

WDW 3

packs for everyone. I wouldn't be caught dead with a pack except at Disney, hate them. Small enough for a little cash (credit card), room key, asprin, etc. and everyone carries their cell phone.

wdwmomof3

packs for everyone. I wouldn't be caught dead with a pack except at Disney, hate them. Small enough for a little cash (credit card), room key, asprin, etc. and everyone carries their cell phone.

:ROFLOL:That's the way I felt. I would only wear it at Disney but now I am ashamed.:cry: I will no longer be wearing a pack.

*can't burn it, to many good memories, packs it away in a drawer*

enough

Something like this one is great as it has external pockets for water bottles and can be cinched down to a smaller size if you aren't filling it up.

tnf_recon_bckpck_chgrn_07.jpg

This one is by The North Face and it's called the Recon II

I think I need to start a campaign to rid the World of packs. I detest them.

bgraham34

No way will I use a pack. I make fun of my friend who wears his cell phone on his belt as a fashion accessory. pack is worse. I use a backpack on my trips in Dec. otherwise I just use a sport bad and carry that. I only need it to hold my camera.

Wildcat99

But, for some of us older people, who have bad backs, back packs are too hard on the back. Now that I see all these threads, I might not be wearing the pack either.

i too, find that that packs cant hold everything that i need. what i could fit in a pack, i could fit in my pockets. however, i hate the feeling of full, heavy pockets, especially in the hot florida sun so i use one of those sports drawstring back packs. i just dump everything in there, wallet, phone, park maps, snack, water bottle, sunblock, possibly extra shirt, and also holds any souveniers i pick up along the way, which are usually just shot glasses. i never had a problem bringing it on rides, i just put it on the floor and stick my leg through the straps so if that bag is going anywhere, its because im going with it!

also if i wore a pack, my family would tease me relentlessly. as a kid, before we became fashionably aware, we all wore them around the parks, and they were bright neon orange. before every trip my mom always asks in complete seriousness "does everyone have their packs?" no, mom, we left them in 1992.

if they work for you, go for it, youre never gonna see those people again. if you feel self conscious, wear a beeper as well, and you could always pretend you are "just making a joke"... or you are a time traveler...

Laura

Premium Member
Everything of value goes in my camera bag. Everything else (ponchos, etc) goes in a draw-string backpack which stays hung on the back of the stroller.

packs (I hate that word!) seem really handy, but not something I can rightfully wear as a 26 year old. :lookaroun

RiversideBunny

Except for people who have very small children and need things for them, I don't understand the need to carry so much stuff in the parks.
It seems that 'travel light' should be the guiding principle.

Shorts or other clothing that have several pockets can provide places for things and no pack is needed.
A camera, spare batteries, park ticket, and maybe $20 in cash (most items can be charged to the room) are about it for necessities.
The park map and a list of dining reservations, if needed, can be folded and put into a back pocket.

That's how I roll.

BTW, the L L Bean company sells 'Pathfinder' shorts which have many pockets with secure closures. Other companies offer similar items.

Have fun.
:king:

nibblesandbits

Me, personally, I carry the drawstring purse backpack. I don't need a lot, but I do like to have some things with me...(ie, umbrella, ponchos, camera, video camera sometimes, wallet, etc) and so I put all that stuff in the backpack purse which fits nicely. It's also not so heavy (although sometimes at the end of the day, if I have the video camera in there, it can feel a bit heavy) but with the backpack part of it, the weight is evenly distributed among my back. I just really like this option better than a tote, regular backpack or ick, pack.

nibblesandbits

Everything of value goes in my camera bag. Everything else (ponchos, etc) goes in a draw-string backpack which stays hung on the back of the stroller.

packs (I hate that word!) seem really handy, but not something I can rightfully wear as a 26 year old. :lookaroun
Agreed. As someone right behind you in age...I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a pack...now. (Unfortunately, I did buy into the craze years ago when packs were cool...how I wished I hadn't now. :lol: )

CommandoDisney said:
i never had a problem bringing it on rides, i just put it on the floor and stick my leg through the straps so if that bag is going anywhere, its because im going with it!

I do the exact same thing!!! That bag ain't going nowhere. I've even taken it on RNRC with me and I haven't lost a thing. Of course, remember, it has to be closed for that to work. :lol:

Laura

Premium Member
Except for people who have very small children and need things for them, I don't understand the need to carry so much stuff in the parks.

I'm with you. Every year my kids get older, the less stuff I bring. I carry my camera, wallet, car keys and cell phone all in my camera bag and that's all I have for myself. The stuff for the kids stays with the stroller. I refuse to carry any of it, but it's still a pain in the neck for the security checks.

SeaBreeze

In my case, I travel light but kind of bulky :lol: I have special dietary/medical needs that just aren't easily accommodated in the parks. I bring a mini-messenger back, only to put the food I need for my day. It's slightly annoying because I prefer to just have a little purse with my phone, wallet and sunscreen, but it's certainly better than passing out :) So, in that respect, I understand why people bring bigger bags to the parks.

As to the pack vs backpack... I'm another one of the 20 somethings that won't wear one, but I do see how they're convenient. :wave:

WDW 3

I will still do the pack. Don't want anything hanging from my back. Too hot. I seriously don't need anything that big, even the drawstring packs are too big and usually nylon (nylon = hot = sweaty). Plus, I don't have to take anything off to go on rides or sit in/on anything with a backrest:)

sarabi

pack. I won't argue about it being hideous, but if I'll take comfort over style. I have a small water bottle that fits in it with my small tube of sunblock, pack of gum, lip balm, and a seperate pocket for cash, cards, ticket, and pastpasses.
A backpack is too large for my tastes, a pain to stow on every single ride, and most importantly too hot on my already sweaty back.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Even as one who normally shuns fasion and trends... no packs. Not that it matters, since I'm usually the one who carries the backpack for our party of four. My mom packs a lot of bottled waters (thankfully) so we use all that space. Plus a camera, a purse (yes, inside the backpack), sunglasses, maps, tickets, that whole lot. It's enough to justify not using a hideous (though much safer) pack.
Regardless of what people say, though, a pack should be considered if you haven't got a lot to stash, since they are one of the safest ways to carry cash.

nibblesandbits

I will still do the pack. Don't want anything hanging from my back. Too hot. I seriously don't need anything that big, even the drawstring packs are too big and usually nylon (nylon = hot = sweaty). Plus, I don't have to take anything off to go on rides or sit in/on anything with a backrest:)
They make them in more of a purse form for girls. I've seen them at places like Target and they are made out of cloth. (Now, of course, if you aren't a female...you might look a little silly carrying a purse.) :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom