Avengers Half Marathon Weekend

mufasa0505

We're moving to Phoenix from Buffalo next month, so I'm excited about having an inaugural runDisney race that I can drive to. But that price is just crazy. I'm sure I'll justify it to myself, but I can run 3 or 4 local half marathongs for that price.

Mad Stitch

Original Poster
To each his own.... but Ill stick to my $1.50 a mile events in the woods and skip the $15 a mile on Osceola Pkwy.

Again, I want anyone to do what they want, but I am amazed that people pay this. Simply amazed.

I offset the cost of the races by not going to the parks. It sounds like many people on the forums go to WDW at least once a year for a week. I use to do the same, but not anymore. I've gotten bored with the parks, they don't change enough to justify a full week in the parks. Getting my Disney fix now consists of the race, one maybe two days at a park, then I'm gone. And with the price of everything rising at Disney, these long weekend trips are becoming fewer and farther apart.

a2grafix

To each his own.... but Ill stick to my $1.50 a mile events in the woods and skip the $15 a mile on Osceola Pkwy.

Again, I want anyone to do what they want, but I am amazed that people pay this. Simply amazed.

Totally agree. I knew what I was getting in to when I paid $100 plus tax for the 2012 Tower 10 miler, then considered entering the coast to coast challenge for 2013. Now that I have completed 3 Disney-themed races in two states in the course of 13 months, I know I made the right decision to do it. Unfortunately as I have stated on recent threads runDisney has gotten too rich for my blood, per se. I'm glad for the runDisney experience and I really dig these running threads and having the chance to meet some of you, but until Disney decides to cap or lower the pricing of their races I'm okay to step away and challenge myself in other half marathon challenges out there.

a2grafix

I offset the cost of the races by not going to the parks. It sounds like many people on the forums go to WDW at least once a year for a week. I use to do the same, but not anymore. I've gotten bored with the parks, they don't change enough to justify a full week in the parks. Getting my Disney fix now consists of the race, one maybe two days at a park, then I'm gone. And with the price of everything rising at Disney, these long weekend trips are becoming fewer and farther apart.

Totally understand. It was a weird feeling for me to visit WDW for 23-24 hours, run a half marathon, and get back to the airport, and not pay to enter the parks. Though I ran through three of the parks at Wine and Dine and walked around World Showcase, it had a weird feeling. Things I normally do on a Disney trip I did not do, like enter the Polynesian or walk up the stairs to ride the monorail after walking across the street from Shades of Green.

As for Disneyland, I maximized my time and spent nearly 5 days in Los Angeles and Anaheim taking in all that is Disneyland. It would have been nice to relax for a day or two at Shades at WDW. Next time I plan a trip to Disneyland or Walt Disney World with my girlfriend it will be interesting and I can show her where I ran, while we take the bus down Osceola to Animal Kingdom.

geaux_half

Add me to the can't justify the price for the race group. I made my own Pirate and Princess weekend last February by running the 15k Gasparilla race in Tampa the Saturday of Princess weekend then heading to WDW to volunteer for bag check for Princess the Sunday. So I paid less than $40 for the 15k race and got a 1 day 1 park ticket for working bag check and got the Disney pre race atmosphere to boot!

-em

Intrigued but not even tempting to run-

Slowly all the rundis races are coming off my schedule- From peaking out at well everything in 2011/2012 its now down to possibly Wine n Dine (since I have a friend running) definitely the Donald Half in Jan and most likely Tink in May. I'm just tired of the prices (the DLR half has gone up $70 since I first ran it in 2011)the crowds and having to sign up 10+ months in advance

I know I'm done with the princess half for several years and really want to run Gasparilla- (may do the princess 10k and the gasparilla half if I find I cant give up princess altogether next year)

Banzai

While it's expensive and yadda yadda yadda... it lines up near my birthday and it's only a drive away so I"m in. Time to start planning my costume!
LOL. I was actually just wondering if you had started already. I'm curious to see who you end up being.

surfsupdon

Same with this family.

We used to go for a week long trip. Now we center the race around a runDisney event and make the vacations a long weekend. We will spend 3 nights. We will have the race, go to the parks for a couple days, and do relaxing at our Resort.

For this year's Wine and Dine, we will only be at Epcot for the afterparty. That is it. We will run through MGM and soak in the ambiance.

But we will spend our theme park day at Universal. Can't wait.

Maryssa*

Reg went up about 7-8 min before the official time. Even was smart this time and tried the Disney Visa card number code before getting an email and it worked! (first 4 digits of card number). All done right at 9!

Ariel484

Reg went up about 7-8 min before the official time. Even was smart this time and tried the Disney Visa card number code before getting an email and it worked! (first 4 digits of card number). All done right at 9!
Congrats! :)

Just an FYI in case anyone was wondering...I logged on to the WDW AP site last week and they DID have a link up for early registration for the Avengers half. I wasn't aware that WDW AP holders could register early for Disneyland races.

Since the link was riiiiight there I almost signed up, but managed to restrain myself in the end. :angelic:

MKCP 1985

I paid $75 for the first W&D in 2010.

I was trying to remember what it cost. Wow, the prices have jumped, but I'll bet the race sells out before the end of the day. I'd love to register and then challenge myself to get fit for a late November half marathon. Anyone want to pay my registration fees? :p No? There are always other races much closer to home that time of year.

Maryssa*

I had a couple of friends sign up for it last week but with DL APs (I'm in-between AP renewals right now, so depressing). Interesting it was open to WDW passes also!

Ariel484

Ooh, do we want to start a pool? I say it'll sell out by...2PM! :p (Originally I was thinking 1PM but that seems too fast.)
Wait, wait, I stand by my original guess of 1PM! :hilarious:

12:25PM:
Avengers Half Marathon - 75% full
Avengers 5K - Sold out!
runDisney kids races - 75% full

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom