Rumor Avengers E-Ticket More Dead Than You'd Think

smooch

I only got into Marvel because of the recent more complicated plots. I liked WandaVision and Loki better than nearly any of the non-Avengers movie. Tried years ago and every movie felt the same.

Also, I had no problem watching Endgame without watching Civil War or half the other movies, not any problem watching WandaVision without watching a single Marvel movie from the past decade first.

They’re super hero movies…. They’re still not that complicated.
I agree, lots of Marvel movies ended up feeling super similar, Loki and WandaVision felt unique and truly engaging. I hope we can get more shows like those two (I haven't seen FATWS) and maybe some of those aspects in the movies that would bring a fresh coat of paint to the way Marvel movies are made and feel.

fctiger

Not that its a perfect example, but the DC Arrowvese shows in 2019 had a multi-show cross-over event that involved the multi-verse, and it was some of their highest watched episodes. I think the casual fan will be just fine.

That's what I mentioned in my post: Crisis on Infinite Earths! And they had one big crossover scene between the two Flashes!

MCU fans will be fine!

DanielBB8

So Black Widow isn't as much as a success as Disney claimed. Maybe the movie was a flop regardless of Disney+.

"Johansson claims her agreement with Disney’s Marvel Entertainment guaranteed an exclusive theatrical release for her solo film, and her salary was based, in large part, on the box office performance."

Tamandua

If I understand the suit correctly, it is not about the movie doing poorly but rather Johansson not receiving a share of the profits made by her film from the Disney+ release.
Part of her lawsuit claims that the box office performance is still depressed over all and that Disney chose to move forward to boost Disney+ instead of waiting for a better release date that would yield her a better cut.

However you look at it, BW revenue is extremely low for a Marvel movie.

el_super

Part of her lawsuit claims that the box office performance is still depressed over all and that Disney chose to move forward to boost Disney+ instead of waiting for a better release date that would yield her a better cut.

Seems like a pretty dumb argument. They were concerned that the Box Office market was still weak, so assumed that Disney would just hold off on releasing the movie instead of moving it to Disney+. Reasonably though, if Disney held back on EVERY movie, how would the box office market ever recover? Seems like there's a good chance that with the bad market, and hollywood math, shes not making any money from this, which absoutely shouldn't be the case. Disney should have worked with her when it became apparent that they weren't going to be able to keep the same arrangement, so it will still be interesting to see where this goes.

D.Silentu

Indeed that is one of her claims, but the suit is about a breach of contract involving her share of the revenue Black Widow is making on Disney+.

el_super

Indeed that is one of her claims, but the suit is about a breach of contract involving her share of the revenue Black Widow is making on Disney+.

If she didn't negotiate for streaming rights that would be on her though. Shes arguing that by releasing it on Disney+, it hurt the box office performance, which hurt her financially. That's going to be really hard to prove.

DanielBB8

If she didn't negotiate for streaming rights that would be on her though. Shes arguing that by releasing it on Disney+, it hurt the box office performance, which hurt her financially. That's going to be really hard to prove.
That's true because most people agree on a few things that could be contributing factors. It's funny because Disney will have to argue that they screwed the pooch and it has nothing to do with Disney+.
1. The movie was mediocre.
2. Woke marketing and plot points that alienated customers. (Disney could play Scarlett's own words against her.)
3. Released much too late to catch momentum.
4. Disney was sued for royalties on other platforms that Disney actually won like the Science guy lawsuit.

fctiger

Seems like a pretty dumb argument. They were concerned that the Box Office market was still weak, so assumed that Disney would just hold off on releasing the movie instead of moving it to Disney+. Reasonably though, if Disney held back on EVERY movie, how would the box office market ever recover? Seems like there's a good chance that with the bad market, and hollywood math, shes not making any money from this, which absoutely shouldn't be the case. Disney should have worked with her when it became apparent that they weren't going to be able to keep the same arrangement, so it will still be interesting to see where this goes.

I understand of course why Johansen is upset, a contract is a contract, but yeah Disney is simply trying to negotiate a really bad hand like most of Hollywood is. BW got pushed back twice, the first time a full year like a lot of big films. And we know the issue is MCU doesn't live in a vacuum, sooner or later they had to release the movie just to keep the entire story line straight. And with all the Disney+ shows out there, that put extra pressure to release it this year. Apparently they had to edit out one of the characters from one of the Disney+ shows (I think her sister in the movie) because it would confuse people who she was there since she hadn't debut in the movie yet.

So far NO film has done all that well like they would've pre-pandemic. But yeah I don't think it's a question if releasing it on Disney+ hurt its BO, clearly it did. But again, trying to negotiate a really bad hand. The irony was they were fighting that idea for a long time not to do that when people were screaming at them to just release the movie ONLY on Disney+ like they did Mulan and Raya. So this was the compromise, basically do both.

But its also amazing that Warner Bros hasn't gotten any lawsuits considering their ENTIRE movie slate this year went to HBO Max and basically at no extra charge. If BW lost a ton of money, I can only imagine how much WB has lost when literally every major film can be seen for $15. I certainly benefitted lol.

But I also think this is just a much bigger issue with streaming being more prevalent. The theater window is falling faster and faster now and Blu Ray's are almost a dying fad now that the studios is pushing these movies to hit their streaming sites faster and faster. A Quiet Place 2 is both still in theaters but also on Paramount+ right now (where I saw it). Return of Skywalker was suppose to come to Disney+ October of last year but they pushed it up 5 months due to the pandemic and that probably cost them a crazy amount of Blu Ray and rental sales when you can now watch it so much earlier with just a subscription.

It's probably going to be a lot of these types of lawsuits going forward, but everyone has their hands tied, especially since a lot of people STILL don't want to go back to a theater at the moment.

J4546

yep, we are living in changing times indeed. I dont think movie theaters will ever be gone completely, but streaming new movies has certainly gotten more and more mainstream.

el_super

Fair point, but I wonder if there was a precedent for first run blockbuster films going directly to streaming at the time she signed her contract.

I'm guessing there wasn't. I've since read that she was promised it would have a theatrical release, but not necessarily that it would have to compete with streaming.

TP2000

So how's that Spiderman ride doing? I don't hear anyone talking about it or saying "You've got to get to Disneyland to ride the new Spiderman ride!" My sense is that it's not nearly as bad as Rocket Rods or that above ground Submarine ride Sea World tried a few years ago, but it's nothing that has SoCal talking and is rather easy to forget about.

Is that it for Marvel Land? A D Ticket ride no one really talks about, and a rethemed shortcut from the Food Festival booths to Mission: Breakout?

What am I missing? Zzz.... :bored:

SplashGhost

Of everyone that Disney has screwed over throughout the years, I think the one that I have the least sympathy for is the second wealthiest MCU star. I'm not saying it is right for Disney to screw her over, but I care a lot more about the Cast Members and other ordinary people Disney has screwed over a million times more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom