Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

CaptinEO

So it's fair to criticize every attraction that isn't an E ticket because it could always be better?
Yes. I don't like the "ticket" classification of rides though to be honest. Every ride can and should get criticism. Nothing is perfect.

I don't care what the budget of the ride is. I'm not the Walt Disney Company.

Maters Junkyard is an awesome ride that is fun and thrilling and silly at the same time but it doesn't have a high budget.

el_super

Except it’s not. There’s a clone being built in France.

Yeah but they could have just built Iron Man at DCA and called it a day (waiting for the E-Ticket).

They were probably developing a next-gen midway mania for awhile before deciding to attach Spider-Man to it so I suppose it's not *entirely* original, but close enough.

DanielBB8

Absolutely. Both campuses capture California more than what I’m seeing in these AC photos.

View attachment 561688

View attachment 561689

You’re right though, these styles wouldn’t match a Marvel theme too well, but maybe that’s more of a reason that they should have gone with Marvel in the park. Or they should have went with an urban, big city feel.
What about Cal Poly Pomona? Those panels look like Avengers Campus buildings.
Cal Poly Pomona.JPG

denyuntilcaught

Can’t disagree with any of this.

Glad we have alumni here from both schools to speak on this. Stanford’s campus is stunning.

LOL at possibly taking inspiration from one building on campus. And based on the photo you provided, it doesn’t even look like that. If they really were trying to take inspiration from USC and Stanford, they did a terrible job.

Sorry, my post wasn't written to be a calling card for Stanford alum. I was just referencing that a West Coast college campus is what I logically equate Avengers Campus to in a Hail Mary attempt to connect it to the California theme of the park. I was not suggesting that was WDI's actual intent. I have no clue what their actual intention was lol.

lazyboy97o

Yeah but they could have just built Iron Man at DCA and called it a day (waiting for the E-Ticket).

They were probably developing a next-gen midway mania for awhile before deciding to attach Spider-Man to it so I suppose it's not *entirely* original, but close enough.
Iron Man takes place in Hong Kong, so it would have had to have all new media created. Not to mention the cost of a facility to house the simulators versus the flat floor of WEB Slingers.

Californian Elitist

If the point of the marvel stories are the characters and their development, then those characters should work in any setting.
Sure, but the aesthetics should at least attempt to look Californian. And this campus thing is weird. They could have designed an urban city setting, similar to Downtown Los Angeles or San Francisco. It would have made much more sense since the Marvel films tend to take place in urban cities, like New York.
What about Cal Poly Pomona? Those panels look like Avengers Campus buildings.View attachment 561690
I agree. It looks more like this.

el_super

It would have made much more sense since the Marvel films tend to take place in urban cities, like New York.

I think thats the conceit that needed to be challenged: that Marvel films HAVE to take on like an setting.

If Tony Stark wanted to build a west coast avengers campus, he could have easily bought a giant Hollywood mansion, an abandoned movie studio or even a dirt farm in Chowchilla.

Do they ever say where in California this abandoned auto factory is supposed to be?

DavidDL

yuih23yt87iu234231.jpeg

Avengers Alleyway!

Also, I'm sorry but Guardians feels as out of place as ever. Maybe it's just because I can't un-see the Tower of Terror. Maybe the brown needs to be repainted a more sleek, mechanical silver? When I think "space fortress", I guess my mind just doesn't immediately jump to Pueblo Deco/Art Deco, stucco and more "earthy" tones like brown. Paint it silver, give it some shine and suddenly, I think it would blend much more with this area and this shot.

Last edited:

DanielBB8

View attachment 561692

Avengers Alleyway!

Also, I'm sorry but Guardians feels as out of place as ever. Maybe it's just because I can't un-see the Tower of Terror. In any case, I am reminded of the words I learned studying for animation; if it's drawn correctly but looks wrong: it's wrong. If it is drawn incorrectly but looks right, it's right. Guardians doesn't feel right to me. Maybe the brown needs to be repainted a more sleek, mechanical silver? When one thinks "space fortress", I guess my mind just doesn't immediately jump to Pueblo Deco/Art Deco and more "earthy" tones like brown. Paint it silver, give it some shine and suddenly, I think it would blend much more with this area and this shot.
It's supposed to be the Collector's Fortress that was transported from outer space. It's supposed to look out of place. I would like it to have even more space alien features to distinguish from Avengers Campus.

EPCOTCenterLover

Yes, but as with DCA 1.0, Disney showed "hip and edgy" is something they can't pull off. :) So, I'd rather have a film based fantasy world instead.

As far as graffiti goes, in the real world, I think it destroys the look and feel the architect and designers intended. But I'm biased as my two best friends are architects and interior designers. I'd take elegance and style any day over painted murals on brick or stucco surfaces.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom