Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

Giss Neric

Could not disagree more. Mission BO feels like the USH version of a USO attraction. DCA's Tower felt like a crowning achievement for Disney, an improvement upon the original design in terms of the ride experience. DCA's TOT was my favourite Disney attraction I've experienced (can't judge the overseas parks as of yet) whereas Mission BO feels like the most generic and slapped together ride Disney has put out since Gummy Glen.
"An improvement upon the original design". Interesting than you liked DCA's version than Hollywood Studios when the latter has an entire dark ride portion while the former goes directly into the drop sequence.

EPCOTCenterLover

I actually preferred the 2nd incarnation more than the Florida original. Much better pacing and more of a focus on the ghost story rather than the TV show. Florida is superior in terms of facade and queue, but for the actual ride experience, it was DCA's hands down for me. My girlfriend had the same reaction when I took her to Florida a few years back.
This surprises me. When the car leaves the elevator for the drop shaft, it’s an unexpected “Wow!” moment of Disney magic that sets the ride apart. And Florida’s version looks and feels more like a real elevator than a ride vehicle.

mickEblu

I’m just watching the Avengers Campus livestream thing now. The Dr Strange area looks cool at night. I’m about 14 minutes in. What the hell is Sideshow Bob talking about?

It’s all starting to sound like when I was in college/ high school and took virtually no content or substance and BS’d into a 5,000 word paper.

Josh D’Amaro just walked out. SNL could make a great skit out of this material.

Chapek “Having been a part of this project since day one.” It all makes sense now. Pixar Pier and Avengers Campus are the only two lands he was involved with since day one right?

Paul Rudd to the rescue

Final thoughts: one of the cheesiest things I’ve ever seen. The Star Wars land version of this was much better

Last edited:

CaptinEO

So there shouldn't have been high expectations for a new Spider-Man ride in a new land based on a gazillion dollar franchise? You're right. There weren't. Ever. At least, not from me.
There's so many Disney defenders. I honestly don't know how many of them are paid employees of the company or just those who drink the kool aid.

This is such a crappy land and ride, based on the biggest movie franchise of all time.

CaptinEO

I actually preferred the 2nd incarnation more than the Florida original. Much better pacing and more of a focus on the ghost story rather than the TV show. Florida is superior in terms of facade and queue, but for the actual ride experience, it was DCA's hands down for me. My girlfriend had the same reaction when I took her to Florida a few years back.
I completely agree. The Disney World one has too many references to the Twilight Zone Intro. At the end when it shows Rod Serling on a TV again I thought it was weird. It takes me out of the story.

The 5th dimension scene is kind of cool, but when I went on it the audio was all weird.

The DCA one was straight forward and only about the ghost story, like you mentioned.

CaptinEO

Just cause someone likes it they're automatically paid to like it?
No. If someone likes it that's their opinion and has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

When people make excuses for the final products we've been getting as of late and all the budget cuts, I can't help but feel something is amiss.

Rescue Ranger

Not impressed at all so far. I think Universal was much more successful in bringing the comic book world to life.

That said, I feel the comic-based Marvel world translates much better to an exciting theme park than the cinematic universe does. I think eventually they will regret this decision as it can very quickly date itself while comic/animated style is ageless. Imagine having to change Spiderman with every reboot? Yikes.

Giss Neric

No. If someone likes it that's their opinion and has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

When people make excuses for the final products we've been getting as of late and all the budget cuts, I can't help but feel something is amiss.
Oh okay that's clearer. I guess you're right. If we look at the track record, it is underwhelming. I'm not as disappointed with this as compared to Galaxy's Edge though. I like the different entertainment within the land. It feels more alive that way.

CaptinEO

Oh okay that's clearer. I guess you're right. If we look at the track record, it is underwhelming. I'm not as disappointed with this as compared to Galaxy's Edge though. I like the different entertainment within the land. It feels more alive that way.
It's strange to me because I remember even when Cars Land and New Fantasyland were coming out, fans were so critical of the company. Now its like disney "fandom" means you're supposed to love everything they rush out.

I posted this earlier, but Galaxy's Edge did have a stunt show on the rooftops/walkways on media preview days that was never seen again.

I really hope the entertainment is actually part of the land and not just a media exclusive.

Hopefully it is all a daily thing, would make the land really fun to visit.

Californian Elitist

West Coast Avengers are a thing in Marvel. It would have been pretty easy to theme an area about creating a west coast Avengers campus, especially since the line was more than willing to make some deep cuts to comics stuff. The video from Laughing Place shows profiles for Moon Girl and a girl who's part of Future Foundation, which are two things only comic fans are going to recognize, so making that move would have worked fine.

I don't know, I do want to see the land in person before making any knee-jerk claims about it (I had the same thoughts on SW:GE, and have liked it way more once I got to experience it). The ride....doesn't look great, but considering we have people who were around during cast member previews stating the ride had music and other stuff that was seemingly turned off for media previews (even though you know channels like SoCalAttractions360 are going to have a ride video up like a day after the public opening making the whole thing pointless) but I don't think it would elevate the ride to something amazing but to a level of passable. I like how many characters they have moving around (though some of the costumes....could use some work) and Pym's looks real good, but the whole experience is hard to grasp here.

And again, it looks like this is a land that is opened without being complete. If that rumored Avengers E-ticket was opening right now as well, how would reception to the land look? I think part of what hurt Galaxy's Edge was that Rise wasn't opening with the land but months later. The Avengers ride isn't even in the build phase, which means this land is going to be half-built for a few years at least. That's now twice (technically three times if you count WDW's SW:GE) in the past two years that Disney has opened a new land without being completely ready, which is a really bad trend.
I’m aware of West Coast Avengers. I think it’s obvious though that Disney had no intentions on using material that wasn’t produced for their Avengers franchise films. And since they haven’t touched West Coast Avengers, there was no they’d use it for this project, despite it making the most sense.

I of course will save final judgement for when I see it in person. Personally speaking though, whenever something looks good or bad to me on video in terms of the DLR, especially new lands, my first instincts and impressions are usually correct lol.

el_super

In this video It's kind of hard to tell but it does sound like there is music playing in the background of the ride. Particularly around the 8 second mark. You also hear a female voice on the ride that isn't in any of the ride POV's that I have seen so far.

There is music and narration in the show scenes. I think it might not be coming across so well because of the way the speakers are oriented in the vehicles.

Californian Elitist

The graffiti mural and the whole industrial vibe of that area in the land is just plain ugly. If I want trashy and urban, I can go to any mid-large sized town to see that. But what choice did they have? Lots!
If anything, urban is exactly the look they should have gone for, including more “trashy” graffiti murals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom