Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

mickEblu

I could be wrong but I think Disney is going to be very disappointed with the reaction to this ride and land and those Spider-Man ride gizmo sales might not be as great as they hoped for. Maybe if this all opened with a ground breaking Avengers E ticket it would be different.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I dunno, I think there’s no reason why Star Wars couldn’t have been executed well as a land. The specific issues with GE were/are

- Not picking a recognizable locale
- Locking it into the sequel trilogy.
- Putting it in a park where it didn’t fit thematically

I know almost nothing about the MCU so I dunno if I can really comment, but just the general theme of “super heroes” seems like an extremely easy topic to theme a land around and IoA is an existing example of how you can do that successfully.

I honestly don't think the MCU works overall in the context of a theme park land as much as a "standard" superheroes land would. What I mean is the MCU is at its best when it's about characters and character development along with the very well constructed tie ins between the various movies/shows. Practically all of the MCU has a very well established canon and continuity (not perfect! but got better over time)

This is "MCU" but it isn't the same MCU canon, so any storylines aren't going to match up correctly and we're just going to get a very surface level tourist version of things, so...meh.

I could have said the same could be true for Galaxy's Edge, but the sequel trilogy canon is all a huge mess and it doesn't matter

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I could be wrong but I think Disney is going to be very disappointed with the reaction to this ride and land and those Spider-Man ride gizmo sales might not be as great as they hoped for. Maybe if this all opened with a ground breaking Avengers E ticket it would be different.
Why as a parent would I buy that for my kid if on my visit we can only go on the ride once if we are even lucky to get a boarding group?

Californian Elitist

Agree. Even if these IP are harder to execute as lands It can be done but current Disney doesnt seem to have the ability for various reasons. With that said, they don’t necessarily lend themselves to being great single IP theme park lands in the way Potter does. With the exception of a few locations in Star Wars like Naboo, the movie takes place in settings that are kind of boring for a theme park or extremely hard to execute successfully like Coruscant.

Then you have Marvel which mostly take place in a big city like NY. The onus is on the imagineers with these IP to create a land that not only translates well in a theme park but fits the theme park that it’s in. It forces them to come up with something original based on mega popular franchises and they haven’t been able to nail it yet. Unlike something like Potter or Cars Land for example where they are literally just recreating what’s in the movie. I’ve said it many times but creating original lands based on the most popular IP of all time is not only counterintuitive but a huge undertaking where the cards are stacked against you.
Agreed. Not to mention properties like Potter and Cars take place in one setting and tell one story. Both Star Wars and Marvel, especially Marvel, have individual franchises within one large franchise. There are multiple stories and characters from different times in different settings. Take the E ticket that I doubt we’re getting (I hope I’m wrong because it’s literally the only thing about this project that I’m interested in). The ride will take place in Wakanda even though the land is apparently set in California. There are dozens of other settings that could be chosen because these stories take place in so many locations, including planets other than earth.

There are too many individual stories to make one general land of quality. They should have probably chosen one Marvel character (maybe Tony Stark since he lives in California) and just stuck with that instead of forcing multiple properties into one land. Or just STOP with the IP lands and give us some original work for once.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No more than mermaids, monsters and talking cars.
Mermaids - ocean. Cars - Route 66.

And monsters are still in Hollywood. For now.

It’s like Iger announced “I demand we shoehorn this IP we just bought into the parks somehow”. This is like opening Avland without FOP. But with more restaurants. In the Magic Kingdom.

At least Paris still has an E for it.

fctiger

Mermaids - ocean. Cars - Route 66.

And monsters are still in Hollywood. For now.

It’s like Iger announced “I demand we shoehorn this IP we just bought into the parks somehow”.

Mermaids don't actually buy real estate in California. I mean c'mon.

You can't say superheroes don't fit but somehow pretend fictional aquatic women feel right at home in San Diego or Torrance.

Its ALL fantasy, seriously. Most of the stuff in DCA doesn't really fit anymore. The Incredibles are also superheroes and don't even live in California either, but I guess they are just visiting too.

TDLFan

When I first heard a Spiderman attraction was going into this land I thought, "Wow, they must have a pretty neat concept since comparisons will certainly be made to the 22 year old Universal ride. It will be interesting to see what Disney has up it's sleeve! They're the big guy in town!"...Yikes. I see things like this and wonder if in order to now get hired at the WDC/WDI, you have to check the following box at the top of the application, "I have little to no understanding of your company history, I have never visited one of your theme parks, and I do not have an overall connection or emotional attachment to anything the Walt Disney company has ever done."

pheneix

When I first heard a Spiderman attraction was going into this land I thought, "Wow, they must have a pretty neat concept since comparisons will certainly be made to the 22 year old Universal ride. It will be interesting to see what Disney has up it's sleeve! They're the big guy in town!"...Yikes. I see things like this and wonder if in order to now get hired at the WDC/WDI, you have to check the following box at the top of the application, "I have little to no understanding of your company history, I have never visited one of your theme parks, and I do not have an overall connection or emotional attachment to anything the Walt Disney company has ever done."

You're basically right.

pheneix

This is one of the worst rides I've ever seen. Supposedly the music is licensed from Sony and dumb corporate issues require a "B-mode" free of Sony copyright for official Disney purposes (media day). I'm curious what the final ride will look like w/ the soundtrack and (presumed) banter from Spiderman to narrate the ride.

Not that a soundtrack or narration is fixing this mess. No one expected Disney to build anything as good as Universal's ride. But they didn't even top the Justice League ride at Magic Mountain.

What an embarrassment.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

You're hired! When can you start?

Nirya

Agreed. Not to mention properties like Potter and Cars take place in one setting and tell one story. Both Star Wars and Marvel, especially Marvel, have individual franchises within one large franchise. There are multiple stories and characters from different times in different settings. Take the E ticket that I doubt we’re getting (I hope I’m wrong because it’s literally the only thing about this project that I’m interested in). The ride will take place in Wakanda even though the land is apparently set in California. There are dozens of other settings that could be chosen because these stories take place in so many locations, including planets other than earth.

There are too many individual stories to make one general land of quality. They should have probably chosen one Marvel character (maybe Tony Stark since he lives in California) and just stuck with that instead of forcing multiple properties into one land. Or just STOP with the IP lands and give us some original work for once.

West Coast Avengers are a thing in Marvel. It would have been pretty easy to theme an area about creating a west coast Avengers campus, especially since the line was more than willing to make some deep cuts to comics stuff. The video from Laughing Place shows profiles for Moon Girl and a girl who's part of Future Foundation, which are two things only comic fans are going to recognize, so making that move would have worked fine.

I don't know, I do want to see the land in person before making any knee-jerk claims about it (I had the same thoughts on SW:GE, and have liked it way more once I got to experience it). The ride....doesn't look great, but considering we have people who were around during cast member previews stating the ride had music and other stuff that was seemingly turned off for media previews (even though you know channels like SoCalAttractions360 are going to have a ride video up like a day after the public opening making the whole thing pointless) but I don't think it would elevate the ride to something amazing but to a level of passable. I like how many characters they have moving around (though some of the costumes....could use some work) and Pym's looks real good, but the whole experience is hard to grasp here.

And again, it looks like this is a land that is opened without being complete. If that rumored Avengers E-ticket was opening right now as well, how would reception to the land look? I think part of what hurt Galaxy's Edge was that Rise wasn't opening with the land but months later. The Avengers ride isn't even in the build phase, which means this land is going to be half-built for a few years at least. That's now twice (technically three times if you count WDW's SW:GE) in the past two years that Disney has opened a new land without being completely ready, which is a really bad trend.

TrojanUSC

It's their creative mandate that's bad and much of their institutional memory is lost with the various layoffs, retirements, etc.

Also remember WDI is the same group that churned out DCA 1.0 including Superstar Limo, while simultaneously doing Tokyo DisneySEA and Everest a few years later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Professortango1

Wait a second — are you guys suggesting that DCA’s ToT was high quality? It was the cheap version of the ride, which was absolutely put to shame by every other ToT out there. Why so many of you are so attached to the ride is beyond me. It was objectively the worst ToT.
I actually preferred the 2nd incarnation more than the Florida original. Much better pacing and more of a focus on the ghost story rather than the TV show. Florida is superior in terms of facade and queue, but for the actual ride experience, it was DCA's hands down for me. My girlfriend had the same reaction when I took her to Florida a few years back.

Professortango1

Mission Breakout is a better ride than our TOT was. And I would rather have a ride that is unique to the park vs. a lesser clone. The exterior is bad though, can’t deny that. It takes the C-grade DCA Tower exterior to a D.
Could not disagree more. Mission BO feels like the USH version of a USO attraction. DCA's Tower felt like a crowning achievement for Disney, an improvement upon the original design in terms of the ride experience. DCA's TOT was my favourite Disney attraction I've experienced (can't judge the overseas parks as of yet) whereas Mission BO feels like the most generic and slapped together ride Disney has put out since Gummy Glen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom