Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

J4546

Marvel and Star Wars just weren’t meant to be lands at a Disney park. Yeah the imagineers could have done better but I don’t think we can ignore that these IP just aren’t harmonious with Disney parks. One off attractions like Star Tours? Sure. These IP are Definitely not harmonious with Disneyland where it’s all about Fantasy, Romanticized versions of the past and Tomorrowland. Is it any coincidence that Tomorrowland has given the imagineers more problems than any other land? The land that is most simpatico with these IP and hosts Star Wars and Marvel attractions in various parks around the world?

In the 60s they gave us 15 minute adventures that take you to another world like POTC and then you step outside and have boats going around a river and an island. Now we get Dr. Strange standing in front of a door that opens to a TV. Part of it is them cheaping out but part of it is that these IP don’t translate well into full blown lands. Dr Strange should have been a dark ride. Not an awkward show in the quad.
i disagree.

BasiltheBatLord

Marvel and Star Wars just weren’t meant to be lands at a Disney park. Yeah the imagineers could have done better but I don’t think we can ignore that these IP just aren’t harmonious with Disney parks. One off attractions like Star Tours? Sure. These IP are Definitely not harmonious with Disneyland where it’s all about Fantasy, Romanticized versions of the past and Tomorrowland. Is it any coincidence that Tomorrowland has given the imagineers more problems than any other land? The land that is most simpatico with these IP and hosts Star Wars and Marvel attractions in various parks around the world?
I dunno, I think there’s no reason why Star Wars couldn’t have been executed well as a land. The specific issues with GE were/are

- Not picking a recognizable locale
- Locking it into the sequel trilogy.
- Putting it in a park where it didn’t fit thematically

I know almost nothing about the MCU so I dunno if I can really comment, but just the general theme of “super heroes” seems like an extremely easy topic to theme a land around and IoA is an existing example of how you can do that successfully.

fctiger

In the 60s they gave us 15 minute adventures that take you to another world like POTC and then you step outside and have boats going around a river and an island. Now we get Dr. Strange standing in front of a door that opens to a TV. Part of it is them cheaping out but part of it is that these IP don’t translate well into full blown lands. Dr Strange should have been a dark ride. Not an awkward show in the quad.

Have zero issues with them being in the parks. They fit just fine to me. But haven't seen the Strange show yet and won't until I see it in person, but I'll definitely agree they could've made an awesome ride. And they still can!

Californian Elitist

I would agree that this current team of Disney folk cannot execute Star Wars and Marvel lands with quality. With the right people and mindset, they could have done it. Disney in the past has shown that they’re fully capable of quality ideas and results. But not currently.

Given another era, I think Disney would have pulled off quality Star Wars and Marvel lands. However, there is something very off about these properties being at Disneyland (doesn’t matter at DCA).

mickEblu

I dunno, I think there’s no reason why Star Wars couldn’t have been executed well as a land. The specific issues with GE were/are

- Not picking a recognizable locale
- Locking it into the sequel trilogy.
- Putting it in a park where it didn’t fit thematically

I know almost nothing about the MCU so I dunno if I can really comment, but just the general theme of “super heroes” seems like an extremely easy topic to theme a land around and IoA is an existing example of how you can do that successfully.

It can be done but current Disney doesn’t have the ability to do it it seems. With that said, it’s harder to pull off at a land level. Especially when they re stuck on this ultra immersive hyper real stuff.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

They're recruiting you to be part of the resistance on the batuu base. But the location was found out by the first order. So you have to leave to another secret base they have been working on. Keeping the location safe is why it's "good job recruits" even though you land back on batuu it is assumed that with Kylo defeated they will not be returning to the original secret base and you should be safe. For now.
They don't keep the location safe. They get busted out before kylo asks "where is the location?' or something similar. Before he leaves he says 'you will tell me the location of the hidden base" then leaves. He never singles someone out and asks them. The 'recruits' do nothing on the ride. And no where on the ride do they say the First Order has discovered the Batuu base only that Batuu in general including the base is not safe because the star destroyer is coming. So we are going to see Leia. So if Batuu is not safe why is it safe for us to go back and stay on Batuu at the end? Kylo isn't dead. First Order iS NOT defeated. They are all over Batuu walking around. So is Kylo. His Star Destroyer is damaged not blown up. Obviously he takes a shuttle down to Batuu to walk around the land after the ride. Couldn't be before the ride since he is on his way to Batuu. The goal was to get to Leia. She is still expecting us. The riders have no impact to the story. The story is pointless because we end up back on Batuu but for some reason its considered 'safe' at the end now for some reason I guess when there is no reason to consider it that.

Giss Neric

Who can blame them? They can finally take all the attention off Fast and Furious: Supercharged.

"See? We don't have the most disappointing garbage ride of all time!"
Tom Holland will save the ride from being worst.. He has a way bigger and I mean very big fanbase who will surely pay money to go to DIsney just to "ride his ride" than the actors from Fast and the Furious.

mickEblu

I would agree that this current team of Disney folk cannot execute Star Wars and Marvel lands with quality. With the right people and mindset, they could have done it. Disney in the past has shown that they’re fully capable of quality ideas and results. But not currently.

Given another era, I think Disney would have pulled off quality Star Wars and Marvel lands. However, there is something very off about these properties being at Disneyland (doesn’t matter at DCA).

Agree. Even if these IP are harder to execute as lands It can be done but current Disney doesnt seem to have the ability for various reasons. With that said, they don’t necessarily lend themselves to being great single IP theme park lands in the way Potter does. With the exception of a few locations in Star Wars like Naboo, the movie takes place in settings that are kind of boring for a theme park or extremely hard to execute successfully like Coruscant.

Then you have Marvel which mostly take place in a big city like NY. The onus is on the imagineers with these IP to create a land that not only translates well in a theme park but fits the theme park that it’s in. It forces them to come up with something original based on mega popular franchises and they haven’t been able to nail it yet. Unlike something like Potter or Cars Land for example where they are literally just recreating what’s in the movie. I’ve said it many times but creating original lands based on the most popular IP of all time is not only counterintuitive but a huge undertaking where the cards are stacked against you.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I think I’m confused. I thought he was saying Disney didn’t play the on ride music because of copyright issues with Sony and because they knew these would end up on YouTube. My question is what changes in 2 days when the masses start riding? Assuming they are playing the music then.
But that makes no sense. If that was the case they never would have been allowed to upload the pre-show audio which is playing the music from the Sony MCU Spider-Man films. The actual ride portion has no music.

mickEblu

Audio doesn't mean music. They mosy likely mean it doesnt sound quite the same as being there and actually riding it. Dude there is no music on the ride.

I wouldn’t be surprised. I can see them thinking it doesn’t make “sense” to have music on this meta ride. The music is explained on GOTG:MB as everything has to be these days. Plus the Antman ride doesn’t have music and there is no music on these ride throughs. Not looking good for music fans or people who don’t put backstories before fun and emotions.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Right that’s why I was confused
It also does not make sense because they want the press to experience the ride for reviews. Why would they let them ride without giving them the full experience? They wouldn't. Theme parks don't work like that. The press would be livid. When every theme park on the planet Earth has a press preview for a new ride they get the full experience of that ride 100% of the time. Some people just don't want it to be true that there is no music.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom