Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

Professortango1

I'm avoiding watching ride footage like always. But is Spiderman better than Hong Kong's Ant Man attraction is my burning question?
I'd go with this over Ant Man because the multiple locations and the fact there's movement. Ant Man has a few impressive looking sets, but the ride is so still.

Inspired Figment

And the childlike script helps clarify that this is an experience intended for young children and their parents.
Which isn’t necessarily a good thing… Disney attractions are supposed to be suitable & created for anybody to enjoy. You should never have to dumb down or pander the writing or experience so mainly, only young children are able to fully “get” or enjoy it. Children are a lot smarter than we give them credit for and they should be respected… If it was indeed the goal at WDI to create this thing with little kids mainly in mind.. then something is seriously wrong with their priorities, mentality & their respect for both the darkride medium & the standards set for them initially, aswell as their audience.

Especially when this is one of the main attractions for a Marvel/Avengers themed land… which, last I knew, wasn’t something aimed directly at the preschool/kindergarten crowd but aimed at the ‘general audience’. There is Infact a difference between those 2 things..

Last edited:

Markiewong

Name one Disney place that actually got a phase 2.

I can think of zero.

Cars Land Sci Fi Diner, Beastly Kingdom, DCA 2.0 Hollywood Land, are just a few of many that never materialized
Space Mountain in Paris? It did get significantly scaled down, but is still a remarkable ride.
They should begin soon with the Avengers E-ticket in Hong Kong (they cleared more land recently). Man that one is a long stretch with 3 rides divided over approx 8 years by the time it opens.

Does Avenger Campus actually count as phase 2 after MB? I feel it should if HK started with Iron Man in 2017.

Inspired Figment

It looks like all the negative reactions didn't deter people. People are already in line...

Well of course not, it’s a brand new attraction & land and we’ve just gotten back from a pandemic.. but if negative reaction & bad word of mouth grow larger and as it continues to stay open longer and we get mainly back to normal and away from the pandemic.. I expect the crowds & popularity to dwindle.

Surferboy567

So here is the thing about Campus, after watching a bunch of videos here is how I feel about the overall land.

Just want to preface this with saying I have been a huge fan of MCU and have enjoyed (almost) every movie.

Honestly, I am very disappointed. WEB Slingers, is just missing something I can’t quite put my finger on it. Even Tom Holland (who I really like as Spider-Man) is acting kind of strange throughout the preshow. Not in the normal juggling two lives thing once again, I can’t quite put my finger on it. The queue is incredibly small for the Campus’s only attraction (at least that is how the video made it seem). How are they planning to handle queues when this doesn’t require a virtual queue? As for the actual ride, since I haven’t ridden it it’s hard to pass judgement on it since I haven’t played the actual game. From what I can tell though, it lacks the charm of Toy Story Mania for me. I don’t think in any situation would I give up a chance to ride Rise of the Resistance to ride WEB Slingers (except for the first time).

As for Pym Test Kitchen, that is one part of the campus that I find pretty cool. I enjoy the Ant-Man touches all around. The quantum tunnel makes the pretzels larger is also really cool. Yes, it’s a restaurant so not sure on the actual food but the theming at least in the room I saw looked cool.

The characters are a hit and miss for me. Spider-Man looks cool and the stunttronic is incredible technology. The part in the show before the actual web slinging though I found kind of awkward I get they are trying to show off tumbling but I think it went on for too long, However the actual flying though the air is an incredible visual and feat. The rappelling down the building to the meet and greet is also really really cool.

Dr Strange on the other hand I again find myself pretty disappointed. I was kind of expecting some really cool effects with portals, effects, lights, something from the mystic arts. Instead it’s just a close up “magic” show. The beginning is cool when he enters fighting Dormammu. The end though, just didn’t do it for me.

As for the actual meet and greet characters. The outfits for most of the characters are very well done and would definitely meet them if given the chance. Except a few notable characters. Probably most notable of all is Iron Man. Honestly the costume looks like something out of Party City. I don’t know how I would fix it but it’s bulky and really doesn’t look that good. Thor also looks a little strange not as bad as Iron Man just strange. Another character that I think also looks kind of cheap is Black Panther. I also can’t put my finger on what is off about the look it just doesn’t look good. Maybe my standards are too high for these? Even then though, the other characters in the land look great. So I don’t think it’s unfair to judge those three to the same standard.

The land has some great elements, but honestly, WEB Slingers seems very disappointing. By the way, I have seen 2 POV’s of the ride one with music and one without. The one without the music shouldn’t even operate it’s so awkward in between scenes. The one with music definitely improves it a little but from what I can tell is still pretty disappointing. They really need that E-Ticket Avengers ride. Mission Breakout is cool, but that isn’t exactly a new addition.

This is the Marvel IP, one of the biggest and most expansive universes to choose from and this is what they choose. Don’t get me wrong I love Spider-Man and the thought of slinging webs is super cool it’s just I know they could of done way better. Even with a completely different concept. Once again, it really needs that Avengers E-Ticket. When I eventually get back to California Adventure I will definitely give WEB Slingers a shot but, it’s not looking like the headliner attraction they are positioning it to be. I know they can make a good Marvel attraction. They have proved that with Mission Breakout (which I admit I haven’t ridden but have watched lots of videos on it). I am also very excited for Cosmic Rewind over in EPCOT.

CaptinEO

add Galaxy's Edge getting a sit down dinner show added to the catina.
The sad thing is that was supposed to be part of the land originally.
Space Mountain in Paris? It did get significantly scaled down, but is still a remarkable ride.
They should begin soon with the Avengers E-ticket in Hong Kong (they cleared more land recently). Man that one is a long stretch with 3 rides divided over approx 8 years by the time it opens.

Does Avenger Campus actually count as phase 2 after MB? I feel it should if HK started with Iron Man in 2017.
Oh yes I did forget Space didnt open with the park there, good example!

_caleb

I think it looks fun. A lot of people who are dismissing this seem to be comparing it to what they might have done instead of what they were trying to do. As with most of what Disney has done in the last few years: these things are for a new/different audience than Disney's target in the 80s/90s.

I'm curious why they decided to put some of the screens back-to-back on the same wall. This means the ride vehicle leaves one screen, whips around the corner (facing the same wall) to stop in front of another screen (which is now the back of the 1st screen). Seems to work against the idea that we're in tunnels and the doors open to reveal real rooms off the main corridor.

Rich Brownn

I do love the wash of stars opening up. But the rest of the 5th Dimension room is a bust for me. And the awkward jostling of the car in silence while it positions in the drop shaft kills all momentum for me. As does the slow silence after the window shatter. I much prefer seeing the car drop and then we have a drop scare. With DCA's faster lifts, it feels scarier, as if the Tower itself is pushing us through into the ghost realm, watching as we vanish from the real world. As for build up, while the queue isn't as good as Florida's, it still does effectively build up the tension and suspense. And when that car pulls back out of the shaft at the start, its a great opening moment. It reminds me of the disorienting horror pullbacks in film. And having the same Bellhop at the start/end of the ride is a perfect bookended experience vs the elevator moving past a silent projection screen and into an unload area.

I get people like Florida's, but for me and many others, DCA's was an overall improvement on the original concept.
Strongly disagree. Coupled with the pushback and the fact that the elevator door opens into a... hallways... destroyed the elevator theme to me before we even boarded.

DavidDL

Just popping in to say that the only thing I've watched so far is the Dr. Strange show. Holy Moly it looks bad. I've been more impressed with some of the tricks I've seen in the Main Street Magic Shop but at least there I can buy and do 'em myself. If this is the level of entertainment they were gonna go with for Galaxy's Edge, then I can't believe I'm saying it but I'm sort of glad it got cut. That was hard to watch.

I've seen some folks say it may look better at night. That's when my wife and I will be there so I certainly hope so. 😕 Honestly just about the only thing I'm really looking forward to at this point is the Pym Test Kitchen.

ThreadMaster5

Mission BO fans remind me of my college roommate. I love all kinds of music, so he would drag me to these terrible metal shows where there was no goal to make music, but to just be as loud and edgy as possible. When I didn't find that endearing, he would just smirk and say "Does this rock too hard for you? Can't handle real music??" Yeah, that's Mission Bo for me.

"Tower of Terror just had this one specially designed drop profile at the end of the ride. We have 4 and we're going to keep shaking you throughout the entire ride! Never stopping! Hardcore, right???? Tower of Terror had these long scenes open up and play before us using a variety of effects to build to a finale, but we have GIANT SCREENS that you're going to blow past and that will be playing some random craziness every time you bounce past it! Its so random! And you won't even be able to hear any of the scripted scenes over the music and yelling! Totally edgy!"
NUMBER 1 dont disparage metal gain thanks, just cause you don't understand it doesn't mean it isn't great. Secondly maybe try not to sound like a kid in an ice cream store when they dont have you're favorite ice cream flavor anymore. 🤷‍♂️

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom