Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

fctiger

Like what? what would you want them to do?

If you are talking about GOTG, I don't have a clue lol. I was really thinking out loud now that we know they have Christmas movie coming to Disney+ and it being Disney I wouldn't be surprised they tied it in to the ride if its possible.

If you mean AC in general, I just wonder will it get Xmas decorations like other areas of the park? I hope so.

October82

Well no, because it literally goes to my whole point. On boards this, people complain. BUT when I'm with my actual friends and family they all love it. That's my point! Things that are a 'big deal' online is not with most of the public. The ride gets hour long waits three years after it opened. And every time I go on it, it's like a party lol. The ride is never dull because people are genuinely having fun on it.

Obviously it doesn't mean EVERYONE loves it. I'm only pointing out before the ride opened you would think people were going to boycott the park over it. Once it did and reviews got out it was fun, there was no big complaints about it. Most people seem to love it even they still miss TOT or there wouldn't be 60-90 minute waits for it today (or before lol).

I'm glad that your family and friends enjoy GotG:MB. It remains controversial and not just on forums like this one.

As others have pointed out, there's been no changes to wait times or popularity. Suggesting that 'popularity' or guest satisfaction had anything to do with the change is a fundamental misunderstanding of Disney's current business model. That's the other part of why it's a strange example to pick as a defense of a Spiderman ride designed along the same principles, to minimize costs by overlaying existing infrastructure as a tie-in to current media products. The point of attractions like Spiderman and Guardians is to sell Disney+ subscriptions, not compete with Universal or deliver an exceptional guest experience.

October82

When folks say “the general public” in relation to the parks, they mean visitors who don’t belong to the same fandom group as people like us here.

In that sense, we’re not the general public.

Really, what they mean to do is to disparage themed design as an art form. "Non-fan" guests enjoy or don't enjoy the parks for the same reasons the rest of us do.

fctiger

I'm glad that your family and friends enjoy GotG:MB. It remains controversial and not just on forums like this one.

As others have pointed out, there's been no changes to wait times or popularity. Suggesting that 'popularity' or guest satisfaction had anything to do with the change is a fundamental misunderstanding of Disney's current business model. That's the other part of why it's a strange example to pick as a defense of a Spiderman ride designed along the same principles, to minimize costs by overlaying existing infrastructure as a tie-in to current media products. The point of attractions like Spiderman and Guardians is to sell Disney+ subscriptions, not compete with Universal or deliver an exceptional guest experience.

When the Nemo subs opened, it had HUGE waits the first year 1-2 hours in the beginning. A year later it dropped to around 40 minutes normal. By the third year it gets 20-30 minutes on average and where its been since.

GOTG started out with big waits and it still gets the same waits 3 years on, easily over an hour. On busy days, FPs sell out by early afternoon. And on top of that, the merchandising clearly sells a LOT because any time you go you see people wearing GOGT T-shirts or Baby Groot on their shoulders.

And I was defending it in terms of quality, simply popularity. I was only saying only hardcore theme park geeks thinks that hard about it, hence why I'm here at 9:30 on a Monday discussing it lol. But most of my family and friends are NOT hardcore geeks. They don't spend any time on the internet hashing this stuff out. They love the parks, but they are more the casual fans. They love and hate stuff like everyone else of course, but if it's fun, thrilling, etc, then their sold. I imagine if SM fits those same criteria and since most (not all) love TSM, then they will love it too. Of course we don't know, but if it's literally like TSM, just with webs, I don't know how it won't be a hit?

lazyboy97o

Really, what they mean to do is to disparage themed design as an art form. "Non-fan" guests enjoy or don't enjoy the parks for the same reasons the rest of us do.
Building on this, the “general public” is largely an excuse for poor decisions that doesn’t actually make sense. Taken together, the supposed characteristics of the “general public” make for a group that is incredibly stupid with no interest in themed entertainment and no concern for quality of any sort.

fctiger

No, because I'm a hardcore fan like you are lol. I been to every Disney park around the world. I been on message boards for 20 years and every major one from LP to Micechat. But I don't pretend my views are the consensus either, because they are not. What's funny is every time something comes along, there is HUUUUUUUGE outrage about it on the internet, it sounds like the public is going to riot. But then it opens, everyone shrug and go on with life. This happens over and over again lol.

From adding characters in IASW to taking out the water falls in DLH. Sure, many people don't love it, but as far majority, they are fine with it. The things we fans are 'outraged' over today no one will be thinking about a year from now. That's just reality.

That said it doesn't mean the outrage is WRONG, I'm not speaking to that. I'm only saying not everyone cares to the point as we might. That said, I have no issues with the SM ride, as long as its good. If it sucks, then OK.

Californian Elitist

I’d say there’s more to it than that, at least personally speaking and I’m also saying this based on my observations here. Folks like us aren’t experiencing the parks only through a design lens. Personally, I’m experiencing it through a historical lens, as well as themed design, Walt Disney, and maybe even a few other ones. I’d say others here are doing the same thing.

A general fan is just interested in being entertained. Nothing else matters.

mickEblu

When the Nemo subs opened, it had HUGE waits the first year 1-2 hours in the beginning. A year later it dropped to around 40 minutes normal. By the third year it gets 20-30 minutes on average and where its been since.

GOTG started out with big waits and it still gets the same waits 3 years on, easily over an hour. On busy days, FPs sell out by early afternoon. And on top of that, the merchandising clearly sells a LOT because any time you go you see people wearing GOGT T-shirts or Baby Groot on their shoulders.

And I was defending it in terms of quality, simply popularity. I was only saying only hardcore theme park geeks thinks that hard about it, hence why I'm here at 9:30 on a Monday discussing it lol. But most of my family and friends are NOT hardcore geeks. They don't spend any time on the internet hashing this stuff out. They love the parks, but they are more the casual fans. They love and hate stuff like everyone else of course, but if it's fun, thrilling, etc, then their sold. I imagine if SM fits those same criteria and since most (not all) love TSM, then they will love it too. Of course we don't know, but if it's literally like TSM, just with webs, I don't know how it won't be a hit?

I’m a theme park geek and I’m one of the biggest complainers about TOT being rethemed and I rode GOTG almost every time I went to DLR. Because it’s the same ride system and it’s fun. The overall experience is a huge downgrade for me. We complain about it here because that’s what we re here to do. I certainly don’t go to the parks, drive an hour and a half in traffic, deal with tantrums and wait in long lines to complain about stuff. I go to have fun. (Hmmm maybe I have to reevaluate if I was really having fun lol)

Yes Spider-Man will be a hit. But it won’t move the needle and certainly will never be a classic or one of the reasons Disney is beloved by many today. A good way to look at it is like this- let’s imagine that for the last 60 years they were giving us nothing but GOTGs and Spider-Man’s and Pixar Piers. Do you think DL would be the cultural institution it is today? Nope. So basically they are resting on their laurels and the great work of everyone that came before them.

fctiger

I’d say there’s more to it than that, at least personally speaking and I’m also saying this based on my observations here. Folks like us aren’t experiencing the parks only through a design lens. Personally, I’m experiencing it through a historical lens, as well as themed design, Walt Disney, and maybe even a few other ones. I’d say others here are doing the same thing.

Exactly, that's the difference. No one in my family does this. Yours probably does. But my family was not raised on it like I was. They only care that it's fun and they enjoy it. Whenever I go Disney geek on them, I lose them lol. But they love the parks, they just look at it very differently. I remember how much people hated the idea of putting Marvel in a theme park on the boards. With my family, best idea ever. I suspect that's for most causal fans, especially if you love both Disney and Marvel. That's literally why it's there.

fctiger

I’m a theme park geek and I’m one of the biggest complainers about TOT being rethemed and I rode GOTG almost every time I went to DLR. Because it’s the same ride system and it’s fun. The overall experience is a huge downgrade for me. We complain about it here because that’s what we re here to do. I certainly don’t go to the parks, drive an hour in traffic, deal with tantrums and wait in long lines to complain about stuff. I go to have fun

Yes Spider-Man will be a hit. But it won’t move the needle and certainly will never be a classic or one of the reasons Disney is beloved by many today. A good way to look at it is like this- let’s imagine that for the last 60 years they were giving us GOTGs and Spider-Man’s and Pixar Piers. Do you think DL would be the cultural institution it is today? Nope. So basically they are resting on their laurels and the great work of everyone that came before them.

Exactly. For MOST people out there, that's all they care about. My daughter is 11 years old, she's never seen a Twilight Zone episode in her life lol. I couldn't force her to watch it because it's in black and white. Did she still love the ride? Yeah, a lot! It didn't matter to her, it was a fun ride. She doesn't care how much it relates to the show, it looks cool.

Now, take that experience and put it on something she does know. She's a huge Marvel fan. She loooooves Groot. She can spend the entire time in the museum looking over all the props. She gets a kick out of Rocket and the pre-show. Did she love TOT, yes. Does she love GOTG, yes and both for the exact same reason.

For you, it's a difference, but for her it isn't at all. They are both equal. Yeah she's only 11 but that doesn't matter. She's going to grow up cherishing this ride just like I cherished Space Mountain or POTC growing up.

As for SM, if it was the signature ride, I would agree with that. It's not. It's a fun C level ride. Disney has made tons of fun C level rides. Will it be a 'cultural institution' yeah probably not, but this why message boards are so weird lol. Was A Bugs Land it's replacing a 'cultural institution'? Uh, no! To me that land was 'resting on their laurels' and YET the minute it was announced it was leaving you would think they were knocking down HM the way some people were reacting lol. It just proves over and over again, once you set in enough nostalgia someone is ALWAYS going to fall in love with something in these parks. I don't care what it is.

Last edited:

el_super

Obviously it doesn't mean EVERYONE loves it. I'm only pointing out before the ride opened you would think people were going to boycott the park over it. Once it did and reviews got out it was fun, there was no big complaints about it. Most people seem to love it

I just wanted to point out that this same statement would apply to the opening of Tower of Terror in 2004.

mickEblu

Exactly. For MOST people out there, that's all they care about. My daughter is 11 years old, she's never seen a Twilight Zone episode in her life lol. I couldn't force her to watch it because it's in black and white. Did she still love the ride? Yeah, a lot! It didn't matter to her, it was a fun ride. She doesn't care how much it relates to the show, it looks cool.

Now, take that experience and put it on something she does know. She's a huge Marvel fan. She loooooves Groot. She can spend the entire time in the museum looking over all the props. She gets a kick out of Rocket and the pre-show. Did she love TOT, yes. Does she love GOTG, yes and both for the exact same reason.

For you, it's a difference, but for her it isn't at all. They are both equal. Yeah she's only 11 but that doesn't matter. She's going to grow up cherishing this ride just like I cherished Space Mountain or POTC growing up.

Maybe it will be a classic to your daughter. Maybe we grew up in the golden era of theme parks/ imagineering and future generations that include my son and your daughter will look at Pixar Pier and GOTG and think that their favorite characters on 4K TVs is the pinnacle of imagineering. It could happen I guess. The reason I added all that context at the end of my last post was to point out that the parks are indeed declining by degrees and if GOTG and Spider-Man and Pixar Pier were what they were consistently giving us for the past 65 years DL wouldn’t be what it is today. I’d like to think the kids will turn into adults and realize those attractions didn’t really hold up. Kind of like being an adult and rewatching a movie you loved as a kid and realizing it’s terrible now.

fctiger

I just wanted to point out that this same statement would apply to the opening of Tower of Terror in 2004.

LOL exactly! Again, I remember VERY well, even at such a young age how people hated the idea of Star Tours being in a Disney theme park. But now?

Of course you can apply the entire GE to that argument, but in ten years, people will fight tooth or nail if you ever suggest getting ride of it.

fctiger

Maybe it will be a classic to your daughter. Maybe we grew up in the golden era of theme parks/ imagineering and future generations that include my son and your daughter will look at Pixar Pier and GOTG and think that their favorite characters on 4K TVs is the pinnacle of imagineering. It could happen I guess. The reason I added all that context at the end of my last post was to point out that the parks are indeed declining by degrees and if GOTG and Spider-Man and Pixar Pier were what they were consistently giving us for the past 65 years DL wouldn’t be what it is today. I’d like to think the kids will turn into adults and realize those attractions didn’t really hold up. Kind of like being an adult and rewatching a movie you loved as a kid and realizing it’s terrible now.

I don't actually disagree with this at all. You are 100% correct. But again, we are hardcore fans. They are not. They love the parks, but its still JUST a park to them. That's fine, but no I wouldn't want them running the park either lol. That would be an utter disaster believe me. My son would build a Kendrick Lamar ride if he could...it would not go well. I would want someone like you to run it. But how I feel is not how the majority looks at it.

And according to most people online Disney has been 'declining by degrees' for decades now. We're all still here because we love it. I personally have a more upbeat view in general or I wouldn't be spending the money I spend to go to them. But same I time I don't really disagree with things like SM. I just don't think it's going to be a big debate about it one way or the other for most fans if its at the same level of TSM because that seems to be really popular by both hard and casual fans. Could I be wrong, it won't be the first time. But I think its the Avengers ride (if they make it) that will tell us exactly where the 'pinnacle' of imagineering because once you call something an 'E-ticket' then expectations are just higher from everyone.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom