Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The very highly regard USF Spider-Man ride and Forbidden Journey does not put in the role of Spider-Man nor Harry Potter.

But the highly regarded Flight of Passage does put you in the place of the protagonist.

So, in conclusion... 🤷‍♂️
In FOP are you really Jake? Or is it the same concept as in the movie, where you're linked to the Avatar?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I haven't ridden the ride in person, but are you really the main character of Avatar in the ride (I forgot the dudes name)? that's confusing based on what I remember seeing on youtube

No, you don't play Sully (see, someone who remembers the name of a character in Avatar!). You are there as the protagonist of your story without the main characters decades after the events in all the Avatar movies (including the ones to come). You are just a visitor that gets to use and updated version of the tech Sully used (thanks to... Science!) and then you can, uh... fly!

dlr74

I'm just basing it on what the article says. Each car will have 4 seats per side, instead of the TSMM 2 seats per side, for a total of 8 seats per car instead of the TSMM 4 seats per car. So if its also attached with 2 cars or have the same number of cars dispatched if unattached it would make sense its double TSMM.
It looks like according to the blueprints that were leaked a while back, one vehicle will leave the station at a time (versus two at TSMM). There is also only one track inside Spidey versus two separate tracks inside TSMM (three in the WDW version!). So it still would equal out to be the same numbers.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But look at all the character rides we've gotten after that - Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones Adventure, Star Tours - we still take on the role of the heroes. We go to the Laughing Place and are thrown into the Briar Patch, we explore the Temple of the Forbidden Eye, we blow up the Death Star. I definitely think this will be better than Guardians of the Galaxy where riders just watch everything happen and don't participate in the action at all, but guests need to take on that role of Spider-Man and I'm not convinced this ride will accomplish that illusion.

With Splash you're not the hero, you watch the story of Briar Rabbit, and then just experience the same as he did.

Now with Indy we're put into a secondary role the moment Indy actually shows up. We're not playing Indy, we're a tourist in the same temple as Indy going along the same path as Indy trying to escape Mara. So again we're not the hero.

With Star Tours, we're not playing the hero as we're not playing Luke, Han, or any other character. Its C3PO and R2 that are the heros, we're just along for the ride. And in 1.0 it was Rex that was the hero, not us. We don't do anything except go along for the ride.

HKDLer

TSMM ride vehicles have 8 seats (one ride vehicle has 2 “cars” attached to it with 4 seats per “car”, photo attached for reference). View attachment 394791

And two ride vehicles (16 seats) leave the station at the same time. Pretty sure that’s the same capacity as this new attraction. It’ll just depend on how quickly the dispatch interval is compared to TSMM to see how the capacity compares. TSMM’s hourly capacity is roughly 1100 per hour and I can almost guarantee that Spidey is not going to be double TSMM at 2000+ per hour

Here’s TSMM’s hourly capacity at 38s dispatch intervals:
3600s / 38s x 16pax = 1515pph

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It looks like according to the blueprints that were leaked a while back, one vehicle will leave the station at a time (versus two at TSMM). There is also only one track inside Spidey versus two separate tracks inside TSMM (three in the WDW version!). So it still would equal out to be the same numbers.
Got it, thanks. Well it was something to look forward to if it was the case. Hopefully they figure out a way to get more cars to leave the station at one time.

TROR

With Splash you're not the hero, you watch the story of Briar Rabbit, and then just experience the same as he did.

Now with Indy we're put into a secondary role the moment Indy actually shows up. We're not playing Indy, we're a tourist in the same temple as Indy going along the same path as Indy trying to escape Mara. So again we're not the hero.

With Star Tours, we're not playing the hero as we're not playing Luke, Han, or any other character. Its C3PO and R2 that are the heros, we're just along for the ride. And in 1.0 it was Rex that was the hero, not us. We don't do anything except go along for the ride.
We're saying the same thing here. I don't see the Spider-Man attraction doing what those attractions have done. I'm not saying the story needs to tell the guest they are Spider-Man, I'm saying the ride needs to make the guests feel like Spider-Man. Wall crawl, swing from buildings, string up the bad guys. To not have those elements would be like an Ant-Man ride where you don't shrink.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
We're saying the same thing here. I don't see the Spider-Man attraction doing what those attractions have done. I'm not saying the story needs to tell the guest they are Spider-Man, I'm saying the ride needs to make the guests feel like Spider-Man. Wall crawl, swing from buildings, string up the bad guys. To not have those elements would be like an Ant-Man ride where you don't shrink.
Except I kind of see it different. Its not that we're going on an adventure with Spider-Man which is what I think you're looking for. But rather we're training to be part of the next "citizen brigade" of SHIELD Agents. So in effect you are getting what you want, you are getting to be the hero of sorts. As we train on how to use Stark Tech in order to help defend the planet against the next threat.

Suspirian

This seems to be a really boring premise for a ride. Could've been done with a walk through and saved the actual attraction for something greater than a test facility.

TROR

Except I kind of see it different. Its not that we're going on an adventure with Spider-Man which is what I think you're looking for. But rather we're training to be part of the next "citizen brigade" of SHIELD Agents. So in effect you are getting what you want, you are getting to be the hero of sorts. As we train on how to use Stark Tech in order to help defend the planet against the next threat.
Then it's not a Spider-Man ride.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Then it's not a Spider-Man ride.
I don't think Disney has ever said it was going to be a "Spider-Man" ride in the way you're thinking. That was always a fan theory. It was always billed as an attraction where Spider-Man will have a starring role. And what has been said in public statements was we would be suiting up along side Spider-Man.

So we don't know what role Spider-Man will have in the attraction yet. He might be our trainer. Also we don't know the on-ride dynamics just yet either obviously. So it might be we feel like we're swinging like Spider-Man, as a couple of us said the cars might rock to mimic swinging.

TROR

I don't think Disney has ever said it was going to be a "Spider-Man" ride in the way you're thinking. That was always a fan theory. It was always billed as an attraction where Spider-Man will have a starring role. And what has been said in public statements was we would be suiting up along side Spider-Man.

So we don't know what role Spider-Man will have in the attraction yet. He might be our trainer. Also we don't know the on-ride dynamics just yet either obviously. So it might be we feel like we're swinging like Spider-Man, as a couple of us said the cars might rock to mimic swinging.
You're not selling me here, y'know?

dlr74

Here’s TSMM’s hourly capacity at 38s dispatch intervals:
3600s / 38s x 16pax = 1515pph
That's if every single seat is filled and there are no delays in the operation and the Cast Members are hitting that dispatch interval every single dispatch for the entire hour. I can tell you with confidence that that particular attraction has around 1000-1100 riders per hour on average

brb1006

Eh... I blame Mr. Chapek.

Imagineering can design anything they want, and it can look gorgeous and lush and otherworldly. Have you seen the new version of Soarin' that just debuted this month at Tokyo DisneySea? It makes the DCA facility and queue look like an industrial storage yard, and makes the Orlando version look like a boring Midwest airport. Oh, wait, that's all WDI could give us in Anaheim and Orlando because that's all the money they had to work with. :facepalm:

Tokyo Soaring Fantastic Flight Interior Queue
photo_l.jpg

Anaheim Soarin' Over California Interior Queue
14830495798_9cdf6aeae7_b.jpg

Orlando Soarin' Around The World Interior Queue

Soarin_Full_27995.jpg

I'm thinking Tokyo wins on this one. As it tends to do with every cloned ride they get from the American parks.

But Imagineering can only build what they are budgeted for. And Mr. Chapek gives them that budget. And then apparently Mr. Chapek even cuts the budget further after construction begins and removes all the entertainment and interactive stuff that WDI already went on record publicly stating that a project or new land would have. Because Mr. Chapek apparently knows better than the Imagineers what theme park audiences want and how to tell an effective story and IMMERSE you?

And so a Spiderman exit gift shop to the video game dark ride has to look like an oil change and brake repair place in Santa Ana?

View attachment 393673

Yes, I blame Mr. Chapek for stuff like this. Definitely Mr. Chapek.
Not to mention the upcoming Beauty and the Beast ride.

ParkPeeker

I'm not expecting much from Beauty and the Beast in Tokyo. Yes, it'll be a beautiful ride with fantastic animatronics. The ride itself, however, will be just as uneventful as The Little Mermaid in DCA. Just the greatest hits and no danger throughout.
I disagree, from the footage we've already seen, it's already going to be more exciting than little mermaid. mermaid is a slow omnimover system, beast is a dancing trackless ride system.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom