Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

shortstop

Looks like Disney World with all of that imaginary grass.

Also, yet again, Imagining this when it is finished in 2020... DCA will have 3 straight boulevards splintering off of its parade route. Hollywood, the marvel/avengers one, and then route 66. It'll be the strangest theme park layout imaginable.. not a hub and spoke, not a wheel. People will be able to traverse the park and miss parts of it entirely. Hollywood blvd for now will dead end into that backlot facade.

But hey, that is kind of fitting the theme of california? Endless urban sprawl and really terrible land use/urban planning.
Still looks preferable to the layout of WDSP after the additions there. But I agree, it really reflects the lack of planning that has gone into DCA, unfortunately.

mickEblu

Looks like Disney World with all of that imaginary grass.

Also, yet again, Imagining this when it is finished in 2020... DCA will have 3 straight boulevards splintering off of its parade route. Hollywood, the marvel/avengers one, and then route 66. It'll be the strangest theme park layout imaginable.. not a hub and spoke, not a wheel. People will be able to traverse the park and miss parts of it entirely. Hollywood blvd for now will dead end into that backlot facade.

But hey, that is kind of fitting the theme of california? Endless urban sprawl and really terrible land use/urban planning.

To make matters worse it would be 3 in a row on the same side. Lol. Is it possible the Marvel path isn’t a straight boulevard?

shortstop

To make matters worse it would be 3 in a row on the same side. Lol. Is it possible the Marvel path isn’t a straight boulevard?
I doubt it, especially if they repurpose the ITTBAB building. Although maybe it will end up being more of an open plaza.

TP2000

I think it's entirely possible the Marvel Land isn't just a straight street with buildings on each side. It's a surprisingly huge chunk of land.

I took a walk in DCA on Friday morning and was blown away by how big the project area actually is now. With Bugs Land all walled off from Guardians to Luigi's to the parade route and everywhere inbetween, you realize they really do have a large chunk of property to work with here.

It also helps that the Stark Industries fences that they have installed have gaps in them where you can peek through and see what's going on, plus the aerial photography helps show the "backstage" areas that Bugs Land used to incorporate that would now seem up for grabs making the space even larger.

IMG_2719 (1).jpg

It's a big chunk of the park that has now been walled off. And it leads directly to an equally big chunk of "backstage" that is now just a surface parking lot and some cheap pre-fab administration buildings and construction trailers.

After Friday morning's park walk, and then making this little drawing for you all, I have suddenly realized how much space they truly are working with here. :eek:

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think it's entirely possible the Marvel Land isn't just a straight street with buildings on each side. It's a surprisingly huge chunk of land.

I took a walk in DCA on Friday morning and was blown away by how big the project area actually is now. With Bugs Land all walled off from Guardians to Luigi's to the parade route and everywhere inbetween, you realize they really do have a large chunk of property to work with here.

It also helps that the Stark Industries fences that they have installed have gaps in them where you can peek through and see what's going on, plus the aerial photography helps show the "backstage" areas that Bugs Land used to incorporate that would now seem up for grabs making the space even larger.

View attachment 311015
It's a big chunk of the park that has now been walled off. And it leads directly to an equally big chunk of "backstage" that is now just a surface parking lot and some cheap pre-fab administration buildings and construction trailers.

After Friday morning's park walk, and then making this little drawing for you all, I have suddenly realized how much space they truly are working with here. :eek:

Thanks for the overhead picture. It does show they do have a large chunk to deal with.

So assuming that the admin buildings along the Disney Way side are untouchable (I don't think they are but lets just assume). That still leaves a fairly nice footprint for an indoor coaster building if they go underground and use part of the Tuck's area for queue. And while maybe a little tight, a nice area left over for the rumored brewery, merch and M&G area, and the 3rd Marvel attraction (hopefully still a Spider-Man dark ride).

If they can get the EGW revived and the transport hub moved though, we could be looking at a whole different plan coming together. Its going to be interesting over the next year to see how it plays out.

asianway

View attachment 311015

I would think Disney Jr and Animation are up for grabs as well

BrianLo

Original Poster
The Red Car trolley storage barn exists in the backstage area as well. It may be asking a little much, but if we are getting a West Coast campus I'd really like to see the Trolley route extended.

mickEblu

Can someone help me understand what this area is going to look like? I honestly have no clue. What does a Super Hero Stark Industry Campus Brewery look like. And how will it work with the Collectors oil refinery/ power plant / museum? I’m having a hard time visualizing this.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Can someone help me understand what this area is going to look like? I honestly have no clue. What does a Super Hero Stark Industry Campus Brewery look like. And how will it work with the Collectors oil refinery/ power plant / museum? I’m having a hard time visualizing this.

I think you'll still have your KABLAM tower regardless.

I don't know if we are looking at a modern university/industrial park campus, a hipster gentrified stone/brick paradise, a San Fran urban business environment or a tomorrowland-y future world type concept.

So I really don't think you having a hard time visualizing is a bad thing, we just really don't know the direction they are going.

mickEblu

I think you'll still have your KABLAM tower regardless.

I don't know if we are looking at a modern university/industrial park campus, a hipster gentrified stone/brick paradise, a San Fran urban business environment or a tomorrowland-y future world type concept.

So I really don't think you having a hard time visualizing is a bad thing, we just really don't know the direction they are going.

Thanks. That all sounds boring doesn’t it? I like @TP2000 ’s concept art of a Marvel Tomorrowland more.

The only thing I’m looking forward to is having a new thrill ride.... in 2027.

britain

Think Apple’s new campus with spaces to train fighting villains instead of testing phone hardware.

And a brewery restaurant instead of just a restaurant.

nevol

Just listened to a Jim Hill podcast, and I know he isn't always spot on, but we can't just ignore any good rumors in favor of bad rumors. That would be cynical. He is flat out telling a live audience at an indianapolis disney fan meetup that they are building the swinging pendulum spiderman ride where bugs land used to be. Built out practical sets, cg sequences behind the windows (a Stan Lee cameo moment inside one of the apartment windows), maybe our vehicle is following a spiderman animatronic swinging from the track ahead of us? And more clearly described was cgi set extensions on the floor so as we swing by it looks like we are 40 stories above the street. Those screens better be far away to control the forced perspective effectiveness (screens never work on me when they are close up. I just see a screen). The ride sounds ridiculously fun regardless. A sensory overload and a fun ride system.

mickEblu

Just listened to a Jim Hill podcast, and I know he isn't always spot on, but we can't just ignore any good rumors in favor of bad rumors. That would be cynical. He is flat out telling a live audience at an indianapolis disney fan meetup that they are building the swinging pendulum spiderman ride where bugs land used to be. Built out practical sets, cg sequences behind the windows (a Stan Lee cameo moment inside one of the apartment windows), maybe our vehicle is following a spiderman animatronic swinging from the track ahead of us? And more clearly described was cgi set extensions on the floor so as we swing by it looks like we are 40 stories above the street.

Where Bugs Land / Fliks Fun fair used to be or ITTBAB and maybe the animation building? If the former, where does all this Stark Industries theming, store, restaurant, meet n greet etc go? Assuming the coaster is still going in the expansion pad behind TOT RIP.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Just listened to a Jim Hill podcast, and I know he isn't always spot on, but we can't just ignore any good rumors in favor of bad rumors. That would be cynical. He is flat out telling a live audience at an indianapolis disney fan meetup that they are building the swinging pendulum spiderman ride where bugs land used to be. Built out practical sets, cg sequences behind the windows (a Stan Lee cameo moment inside one of the apartment windows), maybe our vehicle is following a spiderman animatronic swinging from the track ahead of us? And more clearly described was cgi set extensions on the floor so as we swing by it looks like we are 40 stories above the street. Those screens better be far away to control the forced perspective effectiveness (screens never work on me when they are close up. I just see a screen). The ride sounds ridiculously fun regardless. A sensory overload and a fun ride system.

That would be nice if it came true. I've long held the opinion that the pendulum ride system was going to be used for the DCA Spider-Man attraction. So this is one time I hope Jim Hill is right.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Where Bugs Land / Fliks Fun fair used to be or ITTBAB and maybe the animation building? If the former, where does all this Stark Industries theming, store, restaurant, meet n greet etc go? Assuming the coaster is still going in the expansion pad behind TOT RIP.

I'm just going to throw this out there.

Here is two ways I could see it play out:

1. The plan if only Bugs and expansion pad is used, ITTBAB is used for brewery and Merch/M&G area. And Fliks area is used for Spidey and expansion pad used for Avengers coaster.

2. But what if Bugs Land including ITTBAB is used for Spidey, the Avenger coaster is still in the expansion pad, and then what I'm calling West Coast Avengers Campus with brewery and M&G is going into the Backlot with maybe a future attraction there. I mean think about it, besides Mike&Sully, the Backlot is basically just a glorified Marvel M&G area right now anyways.

mickEblu

I'm just going to throw this out there.

Here is two ways I could see it play out:

1. The plan if only Bugs and expansion pad is used, ITTBAB is used for brewery and Merch/M&G area. And Fliks area is used for Spidey and expansion pad used for Avengers coaster.

2. But what if Bugs Land including ITTBAB is used for Spidey, the Avenger coaster is still in the expansion pad, and then what I'm calling West Coast Avengers Campus with brewery and M&G is going into the Backlot with maybe a future attraction there. I mean think about it, besides Mike&Sully, the Backlot is basically just a glorified Marvel M&G area right now anyways.

That’s interesting. I prefer plan 1. I’ve always pictured the attraction in ITTBAB and the meet n greet etc in Fliks Fun fair. Probably because the unrealistic expectation of them repurposing the ITTBAB building. I think the one constant and pretty certain thing is that the Avengers building is going behind TOT. There’s no other feasible place to put in the short term.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom