hpyhnt 1000

For those who may not want to click over and search through the comments:
Disney Parks Blog said:
Jamie – We’re currently in the design phase for AVATAR at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. We look forward to sharing more details in the future.

Don't go by that. He wouldn't even know what is going on with avatar other than what his boss tells him to say concerning that subject.

While true, I'm not sure thats any more positive. We're coming up on two years since the initial announcement and they are still in the "design phase" with nothing to show for it? Even if thats the company line coming from the top, its pretty sad that we still dont have one solid piece of concept art.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...l-of-the-lion-king-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

If you examine the comments below, someone asks if the reason behind the move is because of the Avatar expansion. The answer is... Check it out.

If you follow the Disney Parks blog you will know that they are very good at canned answers to questions like this. All indications are that Avatar will go into the CMM spot. Even if it still is in the design phase they are probably far enough along to know how much land they want, so it makes sense to start the move of FotLK now.

Sassagoula-Rvr

If you follow the Disney Parks blog you will know that they are very good at canned answers to questions like this. All indications are that Avatar will go into the CMM spot. Even if it still is in the design phase they are probably far enough along to know how much land they want, so it makes sense to start the move of FotLK now.
Exactly, I think the moving of the theater is pretty telling actually...they wouldn't be moving something if they are not beginning to plan dirt moving.

Travel Junkie

If Cameron had to swallow his pride and kowtow to Disney, that's huge news, and industry trades would be all over it. One, its Disney and Disney is the hottest thing going right now, and two, its Cameron, who is the boy wonder for films, and notoriously cruel at times who people would like to see fail.

Avatar-Land was all over the news, any kind of problems associated with it would be fodder for TMZ and other similar outlets.

Outside of cutting budgets on opening new theme parks, which isn't a bad decision from a business perspective, what actual proof is there to Disney cutting budgets on individual attractions?

Sorry TMZ doesn't cover stuff like that. They are too busy chasing the Kardashians and Lohan's of the world. These clashes of massive egos take place hundreds of times a day in Hollywood and never reach print. Rarely does in house fighting ever get into a trade and plenty of people know about these epic ego clashes. The general public could care less about Cameron and Disney butting heads over some theme park land. It's not news except to theme park nerds.

MerlinTheGoat

Exactly. But I'm guessing your responding to someone on my Ignored list, sometimes it is better to just ignore... Merlin
The post I responded to really wasn't anything antagonistic, nor do I recall whether or not the person has ever said anything to tick me off in the past.

The subject was that in this age Disney almost never increases budgets for park attractions (which is apparently true). Budgets are lucky to remain intact, they're generally slashed more than anything though. Cars Land was brought up as an example of a high budget. My response to this was to indicate the many factors that caused that expansion to maintain a good budget and high quality-

1- John Lasseter was basically the one behind the entire thing. It was his baby. He has an enormous level of political power and I've heard insiders on this site say he actually made political threats to make sure he got what he wanted. Extremely passionate guy who clearly has the ability to get what he wants. Many other projects don't have people with that sort of creative people with power to ensure it gets done correctly. Particularly Disney World related stuff.

2- DCA was in a ridiculously dire state attendance wise. Even Disney was probably willing to spend butt loads of cash to save that place considering how badly it was suffering. Again, I don't have the attendance comparisons, but I doubt any of the four WDW parks are suffering as badly as DCA was before its overhaul.

Cars Land was the exception, not the rule. I wish it was the rule obviously, but I've a good reason for remaining skeptical that the success of Cars Land has changed Disney for the better overall (particularly after how New Fantasyland turned out).

TinkerBelle8878

With all the stories of how the projected 'blockbuster' movies have been failing at the box office, maybe Disney is wisening up? And its not like Avatar is going to cash in on the success of the first movie that many years later. Most people have moved on and now regard it as 'okay' compared to what it was when it was released. Putting all the proverbial chickens in this Avatar basket was a pretty bizarre move from the start and I wouldn't be surprised if this goes the way of Beastly Kingdom. At least that had genuine potential and wasn't directly tied in to some flash in the pan movie. I guess they haven't learned from Dinosaur yet?

FigmentJedi

How about some real Avatar project progress? A lot of things have been going still in the planning stages and a lot of blueprints have been developed. The water show that is being planned will be in the Spirit Forest area.
Is it going to recycle the infrastructure of Pocahontas and her Forest Friends?

Sped2424

With all the stories of how the projected 'blockbuster' movies have been failing at the box office, maybe Disney is wisening up? And its not like Avatar is going to cash in on the success of the first movie that many years later. Most people have moved on and now regard it as 'okay' compared to what it was when it was released. Putting all the proverbial chickens in this Avatar basket was a pretty bizarre move from the start and I wouldn't be surprised if this goes the way of Beastly Kingdom. At least that had genuine potential and wasn't directly tied in to some flash in the pan movie. I guess they haven't learned from Dinosaur yet?
Something is going to happen as they are building the lion king stage elsewhere, and Disney has now just officially announced they are doing so.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
How about some real Avatar project progress? A lot of things have been going still in the planning stages and a lot of blueprints have been developed. The water show that is being planned will be in the Spirit Forest area.

Thanks for the update and for sharing some actual news. Any details on what the water show will be? World of color type nighttime show or something different? Any idea if the boat ride from the original stale leaked plans is still on the table?

twebber55

Are you being serious? Cant tell.....

lazyboy97o

Something is going to happen as they are building the lion king stage elsewhere, and Disney has now just officially announced they are doing so.
This proves nothing except that the show is moving. There are advantages to the move without a new project occupying the Camp Minnie-Mickey area.

Sped2424

This proves nothing except that the show is moving. There are advantages to the move without a new project occupying the Camp Minnie-Mickey area.
Except TDO doesn't like to spend money on something that would honestly have no use otherwise unless they were to use that land for a project. Considering how this is the only one that has been in development my cards are that its most likely going to be avatarland. But they are not the type of team to spend money on moving something that is working and fine where it is unless they are going to be using that area for something else in the near future.

cheezbat

Well we're practically seven months through 2013...I think it's well past time to see some construction in Camp Minnie-Mickey.

2018 or whatever is a ridiculous timeframe for this project...especially if this is the next attraction added to DAK.
When did Finding Nemo the Musical open? 2007? So 11 years between new attractions at DAK? Disgusting.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Except TDO doesn't like to spend money on something that would honestly have no use otherwise unless they were to use that land for a project. Considering how this is the only one that has been in development my cards are that its most likely going to be avatarland. But they are not the type of team to spend money on moving something that is working and fine where it is unless they are going to be using that area for something else in the near future.
How near is near?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom