FutureWorld1982

Fixed.

You haven't even seen concept artwork for AVATAR Land, so how can you make this statement?

Fixed. I love playing this game! :)

In all seriousness, I don't think we can judge anything about this project (like raven24 said). We have seen absolutely nothing about it. I think we should wait (sigh) just a little longer, then we will be able to state if we like it or not.

Last edited:

twebber55

There may be a greater total number of viewers/DVD sales for Avatar, but very likely a higher proportion of Cars viewers/DVD sales who actually visit (or could be enticed to) Animal Kingdom. Most WDW guests are probably going to be more interested and excited for Carsland than Avatar.
thats just it...with avatar you may be bringing in a new customer who wouldnt come to the parks..the families who love cars are already coming

A. this argument is old
B. Mods asked to keep this deabte about avatar to the other avatar threads
C really trying to stay out of this argument but like Michael Corleone i keep getting pulled back in

SirLink

thats just it...with avatar you may be bringing in a new customer who wouldnt come to the parks..the families who love cars are already coming

A. this argument is old
B. Mods asked to keep this deabte about avatar to the other avatar threads
C really trying to stay out of this argument but like Michael Corleone i keep getting pulled back in

The problem is that even if it is the best land WDI has ever produced if it destroys the rest of DAK by having such a flimsy point as your on another planet - it has in destroyed the main Show of DAK which was culture/conservation/animals of Earth.

twebber55

The problem is that even if it is the best land WDI has ever produced if it destroys the rest of DAK by having such a flimsy point as your on another planet - it has in destroyed the main Show of DAK which was culture/conservation/animals of Earth.
to say it would destroy the rest of DAK is a big reach....its a different themed land like walking from liberty square to FL or Jurrassic Park to WWOHP

besides Avatar will be pushed far enough away into its little corner

like a said this argument really should go to the other avatar threads
in my opinion if they pull off a cool looking tree of souls with floating mountains, bioluminesant plants and animals with a suttle theme of living in harmony in nature it will be just fine and really help DAK

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think Avatar Land would be bigger because more people have seen Avatar than Cars. Home media sales were also huge with over 10.5 million sales so far. The reason why Avatar was such a hit was because of how amazing the world of Pandora was. The draw will be experiencing Pandora and its state of the art E ticket

Even though more people probably saw Avatar, I think people remember Cars more, especially since Carsland opened only about a year after Cars 2 came out, it is yet to me seen if something similar will happen with Avatar. Disney has also worked hard to keep Cars in the public eye through merchandising, Cars has sold a lot more merch then Avatar has. Now, if Avatar II comes out before the land opens, and it's as successful as the first, then that might change things.

SirLink

to say it would destroy the rest of DAK is a big reach....its a different themed land like walking from liberty square to FL or Jurrassic Park to WWOHP

besides Avatar will be pushed far enough away into its little corner

like a said this argument really should go to the other avatar threads
in my opinion if they pull off a cool looking tree of souls with floating mountains, bioluminesant plants and animals with a suttle theme of living in harmony in nature it will be just fine and really help DAK

What? Those two properties can live close together as the main sub theme for IoA is one of literature.

Even LS next to FL is done as such a bridge in architectural styles. Plus where Peter Pan is was originally going to be a ride themed to The Adventures of Ichabod Crane, so thematically it wasn't going to be as much of a clash as the current walkthrough is...

DAK is always been about Planet Earth and how culture/conservation/animals have this symbiotic relationship ... adding in a new planet is ... who cares it'll be 2015 before construction begins if at all.

twebber55

What? Those two properties can live close together as the main sub theme for IoA is one of literature.

Even LS next to FL is done as such a bridge in architectural styles. Plus where Peter Pan is was originally going to be a ride themed to The Adventures of Ichabod Crane, so thematically it wasn't going to be as much of a clash as the current walkthrough is...

DAK is always been about Planet Earth and how culture/conservation/animals have this symbiotic relationship ... adding in a new planet is ... who cares it'll be 2015 before construction begins if at all.
im moving on..you should to..we re not changing the other persons mind..maybe try it out when it opens and then make a firm judgment :)

twebber55

Even though more people probably saw Avatar, I think people remember Cars more, especially since Carsland opened only about a year after Cars 2 came out, it is yet to me seen if something similar will happen with Avatar. Disney has also worked hard to keep Cars in the public eye through merchandising, Cars has sold a lot more merch then Avatar has. Now, if Avatar II comes out before the land opens, and it's as successful as the first, then that might change things.
usually i agree with you but when you say more people "probably saw avatar" come on...obviously merchandising lends itself to kids stuff and cars is a huge merchandising success...but if we relied just on merchandising than hello kitty is much more popular than harry potter..obviously on a disney theme park board cars is going to be more popular than a non disney product
i also think the cars environment is perfect for a theme park land..even though the first movie was good and the second ok cars land was a huge hit for WDI..quality won out...hopefully star wars, avatar, and or cars land east will be done well

rd805

I'm still nervous that we'll be arguing these little details, and then in the Spring of 2014 "Avatar is still on the map for DAK, with an anticipated opening on 2020."

doctornick

How about some real Avatar project progress? A lot of things have been going still in the planning stages and a lot of blueprints have been developed. The water show that is being planned will be in the Spirit Forest area.

I appreciate the attempt to steer this back to the original purpose of the thread...

So, you say blueprints have been developed, dos that mean that they still have not settled on any specific plans? Do they even know what rides are goign to be built and will we learn anything at D23?

What exactly is the Spirit Forest (will that be part of the Avatar space?) and what is this water show like? Is it a World of Color type setup?

ToTBellHop

I appreciate the attempt to steer this back to the original purpose of the thread...

So, you say blueprints have been developed, dos that mean that they still have not settled on any specific plans? Do they even know what rides are goign to be built and will we learn anything at D23?

What exactly is the Spirit Forest (will that be part of the Avatar space?) and what is this water show like? Is it a World of Color type setup?
Statements from others claim this will not be part of the Avatar space. I don't know if that has changed.

Magenta Panther

Exactly. What does Avatar have to do with the animals of Earth? Even mythical animals - dragons, unicorns, minotaurs, gryphons, etc. - are of THIS EARTH. Not some other planet. Avatar will never fit into DAK. It was just Iger's cement-headed idea to match the "wow" factor of WWOHP. As such, it failed. And if built it WILL fail as an attraction in DAK. It will be just some garish-looking foreign object lodged in the greenery. The stupid creatures will look ridiculous. TDO might as well put a Wookiee forest in DAK, or a freaking Ewok village. It would make just about as much sense. :in pain:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Lasseter was apparently one of the people who ensured Cars turned out as well as it did and got the budget needed. And apparently one of the reasons he was able to do this is because he is a high tier figure at Disney and has collected a lot of political leverage and dirt to threaten the corporate heads with. I doubt Cameron has anything like that kind of power to get the job done right. There were passionate creative people who actually had political power at Disney that fought to get DCA the quality it needed to succeed. And besides Tony Baxter and perhaps a few others (who still haven't been very successful at turning WDW around so far in spite of their efforts), there don't seem to be many people interested in standing behind WDW. I doubt Avatar is going to have anyone with that sort of political power willing to fight for its quality. It doesn't matter how creative, charismatic or good at begging you are. As mentioned in regards to Tony Baxter on these forums, what matters at Disney is how much dirt you can dig up and threaten the leaders with.

There's also the fact that DCA was in a truly dire state attendance wise before the makeover. I don't know the exact numbers offhand, but while i'm sure it's lower than it needs to be, i'm guessing AK still isn't in as bad of a situation as DCA was pre-makeover. Disney is also well aware that modern WDW guests are easier to please and manipulate than Disneyland goers, they have lower standards and don't band together to protest for quality like Disneyland goers do (this most likely because a huge amount of modern WDW guests probably never even visited the parks prior to EPCOT's mutilation or have little to no experience with any other Disney park to know better). The corporate heads know that what they can't easily get away with in CA, they can much more easily get away with at WDW.

So basically my point is that there were a lot of factors ensuring quality at the DCA expansion that i'm very doubtful are also all present involving Avatar Land.
Good points on Lasseter. I agree that he would have a lot more power than Cameron would as an outsider. I'm not sure contractually how much say Cameron has to veto plans and/or demand quality. Once ground is broken and construction begins and Disney has started to pump serious money into the project I think Cameron would have more leverage to ensure quality. Disney wouldn't want to delay the project or risk having it canceled once construction begins and cash has been spent. For now I think they could walk away without much lost if Cameron makes too many demands.

I would be willing to bet money it goes over budget either way. Disney has a poor track record on hitting budgets for big construction projects.

ToTBellHop

Exactly. What does Avatar have to do with the animals of Earth? Even mythical animals - dragons, unicorns, minotaurs, gryphons, etc. - are of THIS EARTH. Not some other planet. Avatar will never fit into DAK. It was just Iger's cement-headed idea to match the "wow" factor of WWOHP. As such, it failed. And if built it WILL fail as an attraction in DAK. It will be just some garish-looking foreign object lodged in the greenery. The stupid creatures will look ridiculous. TDO might as well put a Wookiee forest in DAK, or a freaking Ewok village. It would make just about as much sense. :in pain:
I'm sure it will fail as much as a southern bayou themed mountain would fail in Frontierland.

ToTBellHop

Good points on Lasseter. I agree that he would have a lot more power than Cameron would as an outsider. I'm not sure contractually how much say Cameron has to veto plans and/or demand quality. Once ground is broken and construction begins and Disney has started to pump serious money into the project I think Cameron would have more leverage to ensure quality. Disney wouldn't want to delay the project or risk having it canceled once construction begins and cash has been spent. For now I think they could walk away without much lost if Cameron makes too many demands.

I would be willing to bet money it goes over budget either way. Disney has a poor track record on hitting budgets for big construction projects.
And Cameron also has a poor track record with hitting budget and deadlines.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom