doctornick

Similar to DAK/DHS, Avatar won't increase guests staying later or even spending more in the parks.

Why not? If it is more rides/things to do, it will help keep people around longer. That's the fundamental problem with DAK and DHS -- there needs to be more stuff. It largely doesn't matter IMHO if the new stuff is tied to a popular IP or an established IP at all.

I have more concerns about DHS since it isn't clear to me if the "expansion" will even result in a significant net increase of attractions for the park given the closures that will occur.

SirLink

Why not? If it is more rides/things to do, it will help keep people around longer. That's the fundamental problem with DAK and DHS -- there needs to be more stuff. It largely doesn't matter IMHO if the new stuff is tied to a popular IP or an established IP at all.

I have more concerns about DHS since it isn't clear to me if the "expansion" will even result in a significant net increase of attractions for the park given the closures that will occur.

2 attractions won't make people stay later they will do those 2 new attractions, Everest, KS, Kali(seasonal bump) and maybe one of the 4 shows and they'll check out. No one will stay in the park for 2-3 hours. They'll just stop going to the other 3 shows. Especially us foreigners who get better deals on tickets. Adding to this when they will be gutting the parade., it will lead to further declines. If Disney wants to stop the decay they need to get both DHS and DAK upto around the 30 number of attractions.

Soarin' Over Pgh

For example, just yesterday Iger murdered his 18th custodial worker of the year, only to be interrupted during corpse disposal by Fitzgerald. Hilarity ensued.

And cue the crowd laughter and light the applause sign

applause-sniderogue.wordpress.com_.jpg

Fox&Hound

At this point, there has to be something to show or discuss at D23 involving this Avatar project. If there is no message or something vague like "we are continuing to work on it" then my money is in the whole project being scrapped or pushed back by several years. There's no reason to keep quiet this long unless there is trouble in the water.

With Disney owning SW now I could see them putting this on the back burner anyway. Would they really spend all that money in both parks? I've been consulting my magic eight ball and it reads: "my sources say unlikely."

Skunk

Seen as I am in that industry - how about not trying to tell me I'm wrong and listen. Ubisoft can say whatever it wants as it wants to please shareholders. However, Ancel is very near to walking out the company. The reason why you see 2K/Rockstar not do yearly franchises is simply down to Housers can walk anytime. Creatives are leaving for new pastures, leaving the 'B' teams to churn out sequels, users get bored and look elsewhere for their entertainment "fix". You see what I'm getting at is that entertainment mediums cannot survive by relying on franchises for yearly hits, software sales/movie tickets/guest spending are shrinking and new hardware won't save the VG industry, likewise a 3D camera won't solve the movie industry problems.

It doesn't really matter if you're in the industry, so stop holding the appeal to authority fallacies up in the air. Rockstar is one out of a very selected few developers who have carved out and earned a degree of autonomy (others include probably Blizzard and Bungie and very few else) despite being corporately owned; and perhaps ironically, their next title is GTAV. I don't know why you even mentioned 2K, who are in fact named for their previous annual sports franchises, and indeed release almost nothing but franchised titles (recently Bioshock/X-COM/Sid Meier/Spec Ops/Borderlands/etc). I assume you meant Take-Two, since they own Rockstar and 2K.

If you're so sure of what you're saying about the industry, why don't you google up a link of 10 best-selling titles for this year to date and tell me which ones are new IPs? I'm guessing probably The Last of Us, and that's all. I'm not even gonna look myself, I have no idea what the numbers are. You get to tell me which ones are new IPs and provide the link, and we'll see what is actually making money now. While we're at it, pull up the past few years, it should be interesting. You can pull up the top 10 box office as well, if you're feeling ornery; prove me wrong.

So we're clear, I'm not saying it's healthy for this focus to continue. It's unhealthy creatively, like i said in my last post. But if you really don't believe that's how it is now business-wise, you are fooling yourself. It's a fact. You don't have to like it (I don't), but the entertainment industry is creatively bankrupt right now.

Similar to DAK/DHS, Avatar won't increase guests staying later or even spending more in the parks. Neither will plopping down Star Wars/Cars Land whilst decreasing the total number of attractions in DHS. Its a diseased mindset will simply rot away guests - same thing will happen with USOR after they attain the capacity needed to build their third park - it has to be more Lost Continent and less IP focused if they want to truly succeed

Don't even know how to respond to this. I guess lol would be appropriate.

WDWFREAK53

but the entertainment industry is creatively bankrupt right now.

But wasn't it destined to become that way? Depending on who you listen to, it has been stated that there are really only 7-20 different stories that can be told and each film will fit into at least one of those 7-20.

When you think about how many movies come out per year, eventually the storytelling will become stale.

That being said, it seems (as of late) that no ORIGINAL takes on those basic storylines have taken off...and they have all been sequels (and for the majority, basically the same sequel!)

Don't believe me?

I'm going to describe a film...tell me what movie I'm describing.

2 hours of nonstop action.
Huge metropolitan city gets destroyed
Bad guy loses...
Nobody cares that thousands, if not millions, perished...as long as the bad guy threat is gone.

SirLink

It doesn't really matter if you're in the industry, so stop holding the appeal to authority fallacies up in the air. Rockstar is one out of a very selected few developers who have carved out and earned a degree of autonomy (others include probably Blizzard and Bungie and very few else) despite being corporately owned; and perhaps ironically, their next title is GTAV.

I don't know why you even mentioned 2K, who are in fact named for their previous annual sports franchises, and indeed release almost nothing but franchised titles (recently Bioshock/X-COM/Sid Meier/Spec Ops/Borderlands/etc). I assume you meant Take-Two, since they own Rockstar and 2K.

If you're so sure of what you're saying about the industry, why don't you google up a link of 10 best-selling titles for this year to date and tell me which ones are new IPs? I'm guessing probably The Last of Us, and that's all. I'm not even gonna look myself, I have no idea what the numbers are. You get to tell me which ones are new IPs and provide the link, and we'll see what is actually making money now. While we're at it, pull up the past few years, it should be interesting. You can pull up the top 10 box office as well, if you're feeling ornery; prove me wrong.

So we're clear, I'm not saying it's healthy for this focus to continue. It's unhealthy creatively, like i said in my last post. But if you really don't believe that's how it is now business-wise, you are fooling yourself. It's a fact. You don't have to like it (I don't), but the entertainment industry is creatively bankrupt right now.

Don't even know how to respond to this. I guess lol would be appropriate.

1)Eh? Take 2 is the umbrella name for the group comprising 2K Games/2k Sports/Rockstar Games... so I don't know what your on.

2)Yeah we all know Call of Duty was top of the list but this piece of information is more important:

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 topped off physical retail software sales in both December and 2012 as a whole, which totaled $1.54 billion for the month and $2.67 billion for the year, down 26 and 23 percent from 2011, respectively.

Again if an industry is down over 25% I would be questioning the 'yearly sequel churn' if I was you. But again that consumers are bored of the output. Over 150 million consoles in the industry that could play Call of Duty and only 5% of the total available players bought it. Then when you compare that to the number 2 its only 3.5% of available players bought that. Again consumers are bored of yearly sequels.

If you look at the Top 20 Movie Box Offices 5 brand new IP...

3)Kinda ... nope ... its not FACT. Sales are down YoY ... shareholders want answers, behind the scenes panic has been mounting. Sony/MS have been purposely green-lighting the out of new IP. Why? To appear fresh in a state of staleness. After AC4 comes out don't be shocked to see AC franchise to go by by in terms of games. But hey if you don't want to listen ... not my problem.

4) So your arguing that UOR doesn't need attractions not attached to IP. Wow. So. Short Sighted - kinda like Avatar.

Fox&Hound

Does anyone know if the Avatar Tree of Souls is a part of the intended project? I'd love to see that thing glow at night. With the Tree of Life already in the park, how fun would it be if there were different smaller but equally impressive trees in different lands. With not a lot of iconic moments in the movie (not to hate), I can't imagine it not being in the project to some capacity-unless it's inside one of the rides.

NoChesterHester

Does anyone know if the Avatar Tree of Souls is a part of the intended project? I'd love to see that thing glow at night. With the Tree of Life already in the park, how fun would it be if there were different smaller but equally impressive trees in different lands. With not a lot of iconic moments in the movie (not to hate), I can't imagine it not being in the project to some capacity-unless it's inside one of the rides.

No one knows a thing, at least nothing that they can post. The design is under lock and key with danger of bodily harm. The rumors posted here by trusted insiders are pretty general in nature.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom