George

Liker of Things
i m sure there was plenty of discussion...in fact JC was quoted as saying "we re going to build not just a ride but an entire land"

we have to remember we get maybe 5% of what actually goes on behind close doors no matter how good our insiders are.... we re missing a lot of whats going on

Mostly Cameron and Rohde have to make sure they have a random excel spreadsheet ready to maximize to cover up the in case some lackey comes in and wants to know if everything is finalized.

Mammymouse

I don't know why it seems implausible to you really. Deals like this get signed without real designs, just concepts. Perhaps after all the tours through the park with Rohde, Cameron decided that he was going to save the park by Avataring it. Initial word was that he and Joe didn't exactly see eye to eye with the vision for the project. This fits that narrative.

Is that my Mr. Rohde is among the missing lately?

jt04

Avatar was always described as a 'land'. They may have blue-skied Avatarring the entire park but it appears that idea went nowhere early.

How bout some aerial photos so we can know what is actually happening?

SirLink

Because there had to be discussions about turning the tree of life into the Avatar tree. There had to have been. I don't see James signing off on something where there were zero discussions about the size and scope of the project and what that would include.

The whole reason JK didn't sign the deal with Disney was because they told her what they wanted to do, and what they wouldn't do. They might not have had artwork or models made up, but they would have had extensive discussions about what the land would be and what it wouldn't. Why would James agree to something that wasn't talked about and agreed to?

I just don't see all of the problems with the project lying with James Cameron, like its being made out to be. I don't see him agreeing to something and then trying to take over the park after the deal is signed. And again, I don't mean to belabor the point, but everything that's been said since this thing was announced was that Avatarland was limited to a "land" with three attractions.

*Prays to WDWMagic please this is not about Avatar*

They pitched several attractions to JK, including placement of where it would be to my limited understanding she asked questions about why they didn't want to use sections of her universe, she was appalled and didn't want to do a theme park. Full stop. Wasn't until Seus's widow managed to convince JK that Universal Creative were a stand up bunch of people. There is early art of UC's attempts available if you know where to look and that looked hideous, but UC went back and asked what JK wanted ... as they say the rest is history.

wdw71fan

And then JK signed with Uni, and uni did whatever they wanted to.. JK had little say .. once contracts are signed, the big boy does whatever he wants.

same case here.

Lee

Adventurer
And then JK signed with Uni, and uni did whatever they wanted to.. JK had little say .. once contracts are signed, the big boy does whatever he wants.

same case here.
Nope.
Everything Uni did had to have JKR approval. Down to the paint and fixtures. Anything she didn't like...didn't happen. (Ex: the rockwork)

That's the thing about contracts, they can allow a party to keep control as much as give it up.

lazyboy97o

same case here.
You may want to go and read the actual Harry Potter deal. Throughout the contract it makes mention of the need for approval. Such a clause also exists in the Marvel deal. It's incredibly standard in licensing deals.

SirLink

same case here.

Wrong, but nice try ... the early art for when Uni went a pitching was beyond bad - Uni went and asked what she wanted. Uni has to go to JK for approval on anything Harry Potter related BTW.

You know the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again - expecting different results. Disney are adept at this:- PL Travers, JK Rowling and now James Cameron.

wdw71fan

Nope.
Everything Uni did had to have JKR approval. Down to the paint and fixtures. Anything she didn't like...didn't happen. (Ex: the rockwork)

That's the thing about contracts, they can allow a party to keep control as much as give it up.

illusion of approval and approval are two distinctly different things. Phase II of Potterland was supposed to be open much quicker or it would void the contact... That didn't happen either.

lazyboy97o

illusion of approval and approval are two distinctly different things. Phase II of Potterland was supposed to be open much quicker or it would void the contact... That didn't happen either.
So you're saying that a legal contract means nothing? That all of those people at places like Warner Bros. or Universal Creative or Thinkwell who worked with Rowling are just operating some grand, shared delusion?

cheezbat

Eh I think that's wrong.

If I remember correctly, the plans called for a Phase 2 to be built somewhere between 5 and 10 years after phase 1. Phase 1 opened in 2010, Phase 2 is slated 2014...that's 4 years time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom