bassman02

Since it appears we are not getting any prototypes/ concept art/designs/ anything.... anyone care to take a couple stabs at some possible artwork?

I'll see what I can come up with... but I'll have to re-watch Avatar and hopefully not fall asleep this time. :\

Side note- does anyone else think that a 9 ft. tall character would scare the hell out of little kids?
Sounds good,can't wait to see what you come up with

With regards to the 9ft tall character.yes that would be a little scary.
The creatures I was thinking were the horse type creatures and possibly the flying creatures,I think they are called eclan or something.lol

twebber55

Since it appears we are not getting any prototypes/ concept art/designs/ anything.... anyone care to take a couple stabs at some possible artwork?

I'll see what I can come up with... but I'll have to re-watch Avatar and hopefully not fall asleep this time. :\

Side note- does anyone else think that a 9 ft. tall character would scare the hell out of little kids?
nah i dont think it will scare kids..also that would be great to see some art work done by those on this board

although my daughter when she was younger was scared of shrek and dora

Soarin' Over Pgh

I only ask because as a child, the clowns on stilts at the circus scared the unholy crap out of me. Now that I think about it, they still do...

Yeah, I'll rewatch it (will hit up starbucks first) and see if I can put anything together. Some others would be great, if anyone else was interested in some mock-ups... I wish Disney would give us something regarding this project.

I'd also die to see what concept art they came up with for HP before ultimately passing on it, but I believe that's another thread.

So, any other artists here? C'mon. Even a MS Paint sketch would suffice.

twebber55

i do find it odd no art work has not been made public..im sure there is plenty of art work out there since they ve already spent millions on models etc...

Soarin' Over Pgh

I know! I mean... nothing. Maybe @Lee knows of some? I wish something would pop up besides that one blueprint of a Soarin' type attraction, which really... could be themed for just about anything.

RSoxNo1

I remember hearing something about they were going to try the floating or moving mountains from the movie. Has anyone heard anymore of this? Also, how would you make that. I guess put up a huge background in the distance like carsland. Except have the mountains carved 3d behind the background on "stilts" that sat on a track that slowly moved back and forth.
Legoland is doing this. You have a strong support structure down the center and you hide it with water.

themonkeyisthesultan

i do find it odd no art work has not been made public..im sure there is plenty of art work out there since they ve already spent millions on models etc...
I'm guessing Cameron's people may be restricting the information that's being made public. They probably have to approve anything that goes out.

This sort of reminds me of when they had special screenings of the movie for cast members. For whatever reason, they weren't allowed legally to put the movie's title on the flyers that were posted. The people handing the tickets out could say it, but the flyers just had "special movie screening" on them in blue letters.

twebber55

Just to underline this point. This thread is for SPECIFIC information and PROGRESS reports on the AVATAR project.

It IS NOT to discuss whether you agree or disagree with the concept of AVATAR being added to Animal Kingdom.

To discuss the merits of AVATAR use the original announcement thread at http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/avatar-land-coming-to-disneys-animal-kingdom.803695/

Any posts that do not fit within the purpose of this thread will be deleted.
this

twebber55

I'm guessing Cameron's people may be restricting the information that's being made public. They probably have to approve anything that goes out.

This sort of reminds me of when they had special screenings of the movie for cast members. For whatever reason, they weren't allowed legally to put the movie's title on the flyers that were posted. The people handing the tickets out could say it, but the flyers just had "special movie screening" on them in blue letters.
thanks for that story very interesting are you still a CM there?

I also read an article about Disney working on interactive plants? If they did the bio luminescent plants, would DAK have to stay open later to enjoy the colorful effects? It would look pretty darn cool though...

Pixiedustmaker

That would be a pretty cool idea.they could maybe even make a family Robinson treehouse style walk thru attraction but inside the tree and it be like the navi colony,and on a much bigger scale.maybe even have navi inside as well for photos,or show scenes or something?

TDO has had problems maintaining the Tree of Life, as well as the Swiss Family Robinson treehouse in MK. I really can't see them building a massive tree structure, and what concept art we have is stone archways and sculpted hills of greenery. I don't see a practical way of building substantial floating rock islands, though they could use optical illusions by building a canyon with a rock island that is supported by steel that guests never see, massive rocks that have an impossibly narrow base so they look like they're floating, or the water fall hiding a support structure . . . but we're talking about a land with a budget potentially more than Carsland, which uses a relatively easy to build canyon steel frame and a simple water fall.

I think gliding around the floating rocks will be saved for the Soarin' 2.0 ride.

They can make Avatarland look nice by putting a lot of plants, maybe some fake vines, but I don't think it is possible to faithfully recreate a Pandora with say, half a dozen floating rocks, 3-4 massive trees, and biolumnescent plants for a price tag under $1.0 billion.

I see the gateway to the land as the stone archway(s). Then you see a science base camp and a lot of flora, and against this in the background a modest stylized rockwork cliff, maybe half the size of Carsland, with plants which hides the showbuilding for Soarin over Pandora, maybe a tree half the size of the Swiss Family Treehouse.

This is why Cameron toured Carsland, to get a close up look at rockwork and how it could be used for an Avatarland.

Pixiedustmaker

That would be a rather large building with a simulator inside as well. Hiding it would be difficult I think.

I think it is almost certain that the building with the motion simulator would be hidden behind a "canyon" type rockwork, probably with a lot of fake plants and waterfalls. They could use an optical illusion of sort of put in a floating rock in the canyon, with a support that guests don't see, as obviously guests won't get to "explore" Pandora in terms of hiking on alien world.

I think it is almost certain that the building with the motion simulator would be hidden behind a "canyon" type rockwork, probably with a lot of fake plants and waterfalls. They could use an optical illusion of sort of put in a floating rock in the canyon, with a support that guests don't see, as obviously guests won't get to "explore" Pandora in terms of hiking on alien world.
Good idea I didn't think about It that way.

jt04

I'm kinda going off the theory that the vast amount of Pandora will be inside to create the evening/night setting and the outdoor parts heavily themed nature to block views of buildings and the rest of the park.

This. Hoping this is right. A lot can be done with HiDef projections these days that could not be done in the past. Much more immersive potentially.

AND air conditioned! :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom