NoChesterHester

Avatar was on FX on Thursday so I watched it again. There is so much hate for the movie on here, but most of it is pretty unwarranted.

It isn't a deep story, but it isn't as shallow as say... Man of Steel. There is no denying it is visually captivating and the world they crated is well fleshed out and believable. The evil corporate warmonger stereotype is played out ad nauseum, but I understand the story choice.

Compared to some of the movies I've seen this year Cameron is one of the best storytellers.

I keep wondering what environments they would focus on for the park. AK is already a "jungle" so on the surface it should blend in well, but how do you make it feel unique? The bioluminescent forest is an obvious choice, but would require either nighttime viewing or a large indoor area. The floating mountains are the most memorable feature, but how do you recreate that on a believable scale and still deal with the Florida weather? The arched rock formations toward the end of the movie with the glowing tree of souls are also very impressive. It will be interesting to see what they do.

twebber55

Avatar was on FX on Thursday so I watched it again. There is so much hate for the movie on here, but most of it is pretty unwarranted.

It isn't a deep story, but it isn't as shallow as say... Man of Steel. There is no denying it is visually captivating and the world they crated is well fleshed out and believable. The evil corporate warmonger stereotype is played out ad nauseum, but I understand the story choice.

Compared to some of the movies I've seen this year Cameron is one of the best storytellers.

I keep wondering what environments they would focus on for the park. AK is already a "jungle" so on the surface it should blend in well, but how do you make it feel unique? The bioluminescent forest is an obvious choice, but would require either nighttime viewing or a large indoor area. The floating mountains are the most memorable feature, but how do you recreate that on a believable scale and still deal with the Florida weather? The arched rock formations toward the end of the movie with the glowing tree of souls are also very impressive. It will be interesting to see what they do.
the big question for me is... will pandora/avatar take place inside or outside? inside would give imagineers an easier route to pull it off...if they build it out doors how will they do floating mountains, how high will they be in the air..if its outside how does the world change from day to night?

NoChesterHester

the big question for me is... will pandora/avatar take place inside or outside? inside would give imagineers an easier route to pull it off...if they build it out doors how will they do floating mountains, how high will they be in the air..if its outside how does the world change from day to night?

Perhaps the changeover from day to night will happen in the ride's queue. Start outside - slowly transition to night as you wind through.

I hope there are some indoor areas as part of this expansion. AK is badly in need of some ways to get out of the heat.

doctornick

Yeah, there is definitely a fantastic template for a visually stunning land based on Avatar. I really look forward to seeing it executed, but I do have some questions/concerns as to whether it will be done well and, if so, whether that will eat up the budget so much as to leave the attractions themselves to be mediocre.

I definitely think that two rides is a good target because it helps to prevent Avatar attractions from overwhelming the character of the park and it is small enough that they can hopefully be fleshed out well and be of good quality.

In terms of how the scenery of the land is set up, I agree that the night images of Avatar is the real selling point and, combined with a need for more indoor stuff to get out of the heat/sun in DAK, makes for a good place to start for designing the land. Hopefully, the boat ride is retained because it can be set up very well as a night cruise through the bioluminescent forests with AA animals. I know there was talk of an outdoor portion, but I think it would work out better to be entirely indoors and at night thus maximizing the use of the bioluminescence.

The outdoor layout of the land hopefully will have those stone arches as well as having floating mountains in some capacity. I'm both excited and nervous about how it ends up. Cool be totally awesome or could be a big letdown.

RSoxNo1

avatar-pandora-stones-mountains-flying-islands-jungle-1800x2880.jpg

Looks like something similar was at least being considered...
r-1354905709-WorldOfAvatar3.jpg

twebber55

avatar-pandora-stones-mountains-flying-islands-jungle-1800x2880.jpg

Looks like something similar was at least being considered...
r-1354905709-WorldOfAvatar3.jpg
Tim
one of the reasons i think avatar will be a huge success is the unique look of avatar so i would hope/think WDI would include bioluminesence flora and fauna, floating mountains, and circular rock work

RSoxNo1

Tim
one of the reasons i think avatar will be a huge success is the unique look of avatar so i would hope/think WDI would include bioluminesence flora and fauna, floating mountains, and circular rock work
Right, it's why I'm reserving judgement as well. Look at New Fantasyland or Cars Land for example. I don't have a strong attachment to any of that source material, but I love being in those areas. If it's anchored by a great attraction, the source material may even be more irrelevant.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
For those like me who haven't been around for a while on this thread is this still an accurate summary of the rumors for Avatar:

1) E ticket - not a clone of Soarin but something with new technology. Definitely an indoor attraction?
2) Possible additional C ticket - boat ride seems to be out, may be a walk through. Is that still accurate?
3) Stores and restaurant themed to Avatar
4) AK hours to be extended (at least a few hours). Possible night time safaris as well as possible nighttime show which seems to be on life support at this time.
5) Mystery theater project that may or may not be in the plans but probably isn't related to Avatar.

Did I miss anything? Are any of the E-ticket plans more clear at this point? Any chance of concept art and/or a model anytime soon?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom