JungleTrekFan

It makes the most sense thematically, unless they're using generic blue outfits and caps for the CMs. I don't think they'd be afraid to use it.
He means that it would be more of the scientists, Sigourney Weaver’s character, garb. No military camouflage, since the military (and the unobtainium mining company) were the villains of the movie, and I believe the land will be set in a time period somewhere just after the end of the 1st movie, when all these people were sent of the planet.

It would be interesting to see entertainment have Na’vi walk around, similar to the green army men that walk around Pixar Place. (I think Disney World is becoming more accepting of the less structured and impromptu M&G in some areas of the parks.)

Hopefully we’ll get a lot more details at this years D23 Event.

Beholder

I'm glad to see some sort of energy put towards this, even if it's "small stuff". I looking forward to what WDI can do with a franchise that seems to present some "issues" with it's inclusion in AK. Thanks for the post!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I would guess the CM costumes would be Military garb. The one thing I've been curious about since this was announced is if we would see costumes for CM's dressed like Navi and on stilts, much like the "tree people."

I would expect the military element of the movie to be downplayed if not totally eliminated.
The mercenary force was removed from the planet at the end of the movie. If the land is set post movie they should be gone entirely.

Tim_4

Original Poster
Since there are movies to come, I expect the timeline to be way before or way after the events of all films. An untainted Pandora with maybe a few scientists.

MickeyPeace

I'm guessing the costumes could look like something out the AK parade. Stilts, colorful outfits, maybe bodysuits covered with strategically placed fabric and jewelry. The Na'vi wore more jewelry than clothing. I really like the look and am excited to see what Disney does.
PS I love Avatar! Lol

doctornick

Last I heard, it was down to just the flying simulator.

Disney and B&M....not gonna happen.
I'm hearing that plus a table service and a nighttime show that may or may not end up Avatar themed.

Okay, so let's build on this.... it seems increasingly like the Soarin' over Pandora ride is the only attraction being targeted for Avatarland. Along with it some merchandise and apparently a restaurant (I had thought the plan was a BoG style where it would be counter service by day, table service at night).

So, I'm not happy about that. It seems like TDO would be setting up this new "land" for the same disappointment we have seen with FLE: a lot of fluff (I'm expecting it to look very engaging with Cameron involved) and little substance. DAK needs rides desperately and only adding one ride in this "large" expansion -- and a height restricted one at that -- is not good. Especially with nothing else on the horizon. I really liked the idea of a boat ride and I think a family ride with a lot of AA figures representing the animals of Pandora would actually be very impressive and enjoyable. So, I'm bummed that it is apparently off the table.

Honestly, at a minimum, could they add a themed flat ride? Maybe something like a Scuttle's Scooters ride where you are riding on the back of one of the animals from Avatar. Anything to give something more to do.

I like the talk of a nighttime show, though I'd prefer it be more generic animal themed and not Avatar specific. I wonder if it might mean building a "lake" in that corner of the park and having a WoC show which has been rumored in the past.

My big question is how much of the space they are planning to use. If it's only one ride +/- a nighttime show, then I hope it only uses a portion of the (rather large) CMM space and they develop plans for more rides elsewhere in the space. It would really be a tragedy if they don't give the park the additional attractions it needs, especially if they plan to start going with longer operating hours if they have a nighttime show. One Soarin' type ride doesn't magically make the park into a "full day" for most people, especially if they shut down the live animal stuff at dusk.

doctornick

Yes to the "flex", BOG style.

But is there any other attractions being planned for the area? That's the big question. If Avatar's development has been cut down to one ride, then is any of the rest of the budget going to other attractions?

(That said, I am somewhat hopeful that with trimming things down to just one ride that they will go all out with it and make it top notch instead of going with three rides or whatever and value engineering all of them down to not being that exciting. The potential for the Soarin' 2.0 ride if properly developed is IMHO quite high.)

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
Maybe Disney could hire Sigourney Weaver and she could split her time between Pandora and the Alien scene on GMR. "Wow, that animatronic looks realistic!"
Can't tell if you are being sarcastic (never can, actually), but I personally think the Sigourney Weaver figure more closely resembles a 1970's mannequin at our old downtown Woolworth's store.

Pseudonym

Amidst the 200+ pages of Avatar, I've seemingly misunderstood how we have gone from a 2 ride land...to now a 1 ride land. I thought that when the schematics of the proposal were leaked, that it was pretty certain that would be the layout of the land. Who has come out and said that this isn't the case?

InsiderImagine

It might just be easier for Disney to say, here's Pandora (just one ride), and then less than five years down the road for the 50th Anniversary they can say...

"BIG EXPANSION COMING TO PANDORA" and finish what James Cameron wanted to build. I'm sure Disney will pull this off as "This is what we planned from the very beginning. There were no creative problems in the designing of this land."

Not build much for HS because of its makeover.
Something small for MK and new beginnings for EpcoT.

doctornick

Amidst the 200+ pages of Avatar, I've seemingly misunderstood how we have gone from a 2 ride land...to now a 1 ride land. I thought that when the schematics of the proposal were leaked, that it was pretty certain that would be the layout of the land. Who has come out and said that this isn't the case?

Really, it went from a three ride land to one. The original plans were a "bike coaster" type roller coaster, the Soarin' 2.0 ride and either the boat ride or a walk through zoo. That got chopped to the Soarin' ride and boat ride. And now just one ride apparently. Crazy sad.

How can anyone at TDO justify this as a new "land" in the park? One attraction? (Yes, bring out the Pixar Place jokes now)

Does anyone making decisions at WDW ever actually look at one of the guide maps and see how few rides this park (and DHS) has?

Pseudonym

Really, it went from a three ride land to one. The original plans were a "bike coaster" type roller coaster, the Soarin' 2.0 ride and either the boat ride or a walk through zoo. That got chopped to the Soarin' ride and boat ride. And now just one ride apparently. Crazy sad.

How can anyone at TDO justify this as a new "land" in the park? One attraction? (Yes, bring out the Pixar Place jokes now)

Does anyone making decisions at WDW ever actually look at one of the guide maps and see how few rides this park (and DHS) has?

Lol everything you have said I am well aware of. My question has yet to be answered though..

Tim_4

Original Poster
Does anyone know what's up with Joe Rohde? He cancelled his appearance at DAK's fifteenth and he missed a breakfast for the Conservation Fund on Tuesday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom