englanddg

One Little Spark...
Mock if you must, but it clearly is the first step to building Pandora in DAK. When they closed down Mickey's Toontown Fair in MK and removed buildings, that was one of the first step of the FLE, since they needed to do that before actually doing construction on the Circus part.

Whether you like the project or not, building a new FOTLK theater in Africa to move the show to is the necessary first step. That doesn't mean that Pandora is definitely happening or that all the details are finalized or any number of things that could change in ensuing years. But if a land based on Pandora is built, this step was needed. So, yes, it is progress in that direction. We'll see what becomes of it....
I never said it wasn't. In fact, I said it was, if you look up a few posts.

doctornick

FotLK is still operating. When the new location is ready the transition should be fairly seamless.

I've seen it suggested that the new theater would replace the old one immediately (like the next day or within a few days). Does that mean that they are not reusing any of the current theater for the new one? It would surprise me, actually, if that's actually the case since shutting down the show for a few weeks could probably be some substantial cost savings by reusing stuff. Not that I'd be complaining (DAK certainly does not need to have any attractions shut down given the limited number it does have).

Does anyone know an anticipated completion date for the new theater? I would think it could be done by the fall if desired by TDO, which would enable them to begin actually building Pandora in 2013 as they originally announced.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
As I understand it, they are going to do a seamless transition from the "Minnie/Mickey" theatre to Africa.

Of course my super secret sources could be wrong.

articos

@Tim_4
What do you think we get in terms of details models and art at d23 in regards to avatar
That's not my department. I have much more insight into the business side of things than the creative. Maybe @articos has some insight there.
Honestly, just depends on whether the WDI creative leads feel like the materials are worth showing or not. We don't have a set reason for what gets released. If it wows us, it probably will wow the public, so we may want to show it off. But there's multiple reasons why various creative materials may or may not be made public, from keeping various aspects secret to something as simple as not being able to get the model out the doorway. I'd expect some nice artwork at D23. Beyond that, I honestly don't know. I would not expect much from the technical side to be talked about, because that's not something WDI is generally going to get into. How a ride works is what we worry about behind scenes, and we don't want to ruin the magic.

Tim_4

Original Poster
Honestly, just depends on whether the WDI creative leads feel like the materials are worth showing or not. We don't have a set reason for what gets released. If it wows us, it probably will wow the public, so we may want to show it off. But there's multiple reasons why various creative materials may or may not be made public, from keeping various aspects secret to something as simple as not being able to get the model out the doorway. I'd expect some nice artwork at D23. Beyond that, I honestly don't know.
Now I'm all excited about the thought of a big a** model in a room somewhere that doesn't fit through doorways. I picked the wrong profession.

articos

Now I'm all excited about the thought of a big a** model in a room somewhere that doesn't fit through doorways. I picked the wrong profession.
Has happened a few more times than I care to admit. :rolleyes: Creatives aren't always the most practical types.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Your own post...

Man, that Walt. What a dumb-. I agree wholeheartedly. He should never have built a model that couldn't fit through doorways.

He had no idea what he was doing. If only he'd built a circus. (oh wait, he did that)...I mean, if only he'd not died from cancer.

Tim_4

Original Poster
Your own post...

Man, that Walt. What a dumb-. I agree wholeheartedly. He should never have built a model that couldn't fit through doorways.

He had no idea what he was doing. If only he'd built a circus. (oh wait, he did that)...I mean, if only he'd not died from cancer.
I said the thought of the model and the creative process made me EXCITED, not that it was stupid they built one so big.

doctornick

First, I hope they don't do it as a theatre show like Fantasmic.

I actually hope they avoid a theater setup like Fantasmic! as well. I always feel like it is such a waste that the theater sits unused throughout the day -- just such an inefficient use of land. I've wondered if they could use that theater for something else during daylight hours (maybe a water based stunt show?)

Originally, I had hoped/imagined that a WoC show would be done on the Discovery River, in the area in between Africa/Nemo/Dinoland. But others have indicated that since it is a natural body of water, that it would not be usable for such a show and a totally new artificial lake (essentially, a large pool) would be needed instead. I really like the setup in Epcot/MK and DLR where the shows just occur within the park and you can be just walking alone and it can start.

I'm kind of wondering if a nighttime parade -- a fire heavy one has been proposed -- might be a better option for DAK than a WoC lake/theater since you wouldn't be using space and money to build the infrastructure. Or at least the infrastructure would be cheaper.

doctornick

Ok, so just for clarity...what are the additional non-Avatar related items that are part of project DAK full day? Just the nighttime show?

Excellent question, which I have wondered as well. @Tim_4 and @articos have laid out a groundwork of what is being discussed, but we haven't heard rumors of any attractions that aren't Avatar (beyond entertainment of a nighttime show and/or parade).

I personally would love to see some smaller attractions added just to increase capacity and have more "things to do". Just some dark rides or even well themed flat rides. Heck, I wouldn't mind adding some of the A Bug's Land rides (from DCA) to Discovery Island if it's part of a much greater overall addition. Preferably, I'd love to see some sort of "Critter Country" with dark rides dedicated to classic Disney films and characters.

Tim_4

Original Poster
Excellent question, which I have wondered as well. @Tim_4 and @articos have laid out a groundwork of what is being discussed, but we haven't heard rumors of any attractions that aren't Avatar (beyond entertainment of a nighttime show and/or parade).

I personally would love to see some smaller attractions added just to increase capacity and have more "things to do". Just some dark rides or even well themed flat rides. Heck, I wouldn't mind adding some of the A Bug's Land rides (from DCA) to Discovery Island if it's part of a much greater overall addition. Preferably, I'd love to see some sort of "Critter Country" with dark rides dedicated to classic Disney films and characters.
Nothing so exciting unfortunately. Lights. Infrastructure stuff. Maybe some atmosphere entertainment. That's not to say the other stuff is impossible, but it's currently out of scope.

MattM

Mock if you must, but it clearly is the first step to building Pandora in DAK. When they closed down Mickey's Toontown Fair in MK and removed buildings, that was one of the first step of the FLE, since they needed to do that before actually doing construction on the Circus part.

Whether you like the project or not, building a new FOTLK theater in Africa to move the show to is the necessary first step. That doesn't mean that Pandora is definitely happening or that all the details are finalized or any number of things that could change in ensuing years. But if a land based on Pandora is built, this step was needed. So, yes, it is progress in that direction. We'll see what becomes of it....

Folks around here like to run marathons before they crawl, bypassing walking all together...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom