HenryMystic

That's hard to say because we still don't know what size this project IS. Parking lot expansion for cast would seem to indicate larger rather than smaller.
Or, DAK has needed more CM parking for a long time now. 6 years ago, CMs would be parked on the grass on regular days. I can't imagine that it has gotten any better since then.

Darth Tater

Oh, so it won't be like some of the Star Wars characters like Darth Maul, who just act creepy and stare at you?
Darth Maul's supposed to talk. Well, he does in the movie. 3 words perhaps, but he talks nonetheless.

As for Avatar, I wonder if they'll use stilts to make the height effect. The main blue people in the film (name?) are supposed to be much taller than humans. (Sorry, Avatar was a one-and-done film for me, and I can't think of the proper, technical term which is used to refer to the blue aliens/people/things).
Disney makeup dept. could have a field day creating the look of the character's faces.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Darth Maul's supposed to talk. Well, he does in the movie. 3 words perhaps, but he talks nonetheless.

As for Avatar, I wonder if they'll use stilts to make the height effect. The main blue people in the film (name?) are supposed to be much taller than humans. (Sorry, Avatar was a one-and-done film for me, and I can't think of the proper, technical term which is used to refer to the blue aliens/people/things).
Disney makeup dept. could have a field day creating the look of the character's faces.
The Na'vi are around 9'-10' tall.

ToTBellHop

Na'vi! Thanks.
It will be interesting to see how costuming pulls this off. I think making them helmeted characters would be corny.
Yeah--hopefully, they will go a bit more realistic than that. However, I worry that they won't be face characters due to the large amount of makeup (and expense) that would be required daily. Although I also can't see James Cameron accepting Na'vi w/ plastic heads that don't talk. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

On a side note, is this really down to just 1 attraction and 1 gift shop? Did they not learn from the FLE?

gboiler1

I wonder if perhaps only a few characters will be created strolling around for meet and greets because they have such a specific look. Tall, thin and athletic.
I think Imagineering will have a heyday with all the unique vegitation and colors but I'm curious if they'll create a Tree of Souls. We might see a show inside the tree ala Tough to be a Bug although not the same type of show.
I also wonder how long it will take to move Lion King to it's new home. I wouldn't think long.
I really expect a major Wow Factor when it's all done.

twebber55

to be honest i read on another board (OU i think) someone posted they will use stilts so 9 ft tall navi can walk around

ToTBellHop

So can we assume based on the OP's info that a plan at least is almost possibly maybe decided on?
Yes. With all of your qualifiers, that is a safe assumption.

We can at least assume the project is still idling forward...although it's unlikely that Bob Iger will still be CEO when it opens if he sticks with his original retirement date.

If they get this under way around the same time as the DHS remodel and Disney Springs, many of us will finally have something exciting to talk about...and not just bus loop expansions and new toilets.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Just to underline this point. This thread is for SPECIFIC information and PROGRESS reports on the AVATAR project.

It IS NOT to discuss whether you agree or disagree with the concept of AVATAR being added to Animal Kingdom.

To discuss the merits of AVATAR use the original announcement thread at http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/avatar-land-coming-to-disneys-animal-kingdom.803695/

Any posts that do not fit within the purpose of this thread will be deleted.
That SEEMS like a simple enough request, yet a number of people seem to be having trouble with it.

raymusiccity

De-Vine comes in about that height. The trick will be making a believable knee and getting the proportions from leg to upper body right.

I think that costuming and makeup will more than make up for any height 'discrepencies'. Lighting and atmosphere will overcome any illusions of whether or not a child is 'seeing' a 'Navi' or not. There aren't any issues with life size fairies or rabbits or even a six ft tall Mickey Mouse, so, I don't think that seeing a few 9' tall Navi strolling around would be disruptive if mixed in with 'normal' sized 'characters' when visiting Avatar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom