doctornick

I have imagined something that could happen as part of it... Imagine something like the Adventureland Treehouse that you can climb and walk through but much bigger - with bioluminescent flowers and plant life that interact with guests as they walk near or step on them, and AA bioluminescent insects that crawl and others that fly! The tree could blend in nicely with the Tree of Life, just as the mini-castles of FLE blend in with Cinderella's Castle and add to the continuity details that work to tie all various park themes together.

I would hope that if there is only one ride, that there would be some sort of walk through as well at least. That said, DAK is pretty much the last park that needs a walk through attraction given that it is already heavily dependent on the animal trails as a big park of its draw.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Here's a blurry shot of the land clearing for the new FotLK theatre....I took this from the Asia bridge, looking towards Africa.
DSCN9179.JPG

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
With the fact that the path into the new Avatarland is quite long, it's going to be pretty difficult (without riding a Disney bus into DAK) to get photos of construction once it truly kicks into gear. I'm assuming construction walls will be erected across that path and you won't be able to get past Pizzafari. We'll probably be dependent on aerial photographers like Scott Keating to get us our construction update fixes.

WDW97

I have imagined something that could happen as part of it... Imagine something like the Adventureland Treehouse that you can climb and walk through but much bigger - with bioluminescent flowers and plant life that interact with guests as they walk near or step on them, and AA bioluminescent insects that crawl and others that fly! The tree could blend in nicely with the Tree of Life, just as the mini-castles of FLE blend in with Cinderella's Castle and add to the continuity details that work to tie all various park themes together.
I thought of something similar, but you enter at the base of the home tree and walk down a themed corridor into a hidden multi-level show building. There would be black lights, lots of interactivity stuff like botanicus interactius plants and maybe a meet and greet with some of the navi' and detailed artifacts and tools, to show how they live. Swiss Family Robinson's tree house meets Rainforest Cafe meets Tokyo DisneySea's under the sea pavillion thing (I think that's where it's at.)

Genie of the Lamp

PeterAlt

I was reading on the Orlando business journal site that they had an interview with George Kalogridis recently and he told them that avatar at ak will open in summer of 2017. I would link article, but you have to be a subscriber to the site. I will link the tidbit though just to give you an idea:
http://m.bizjournals.com/orlando/print-edition/2013/05/03/disneys-kalogridis-avatar-to-open-in.html

Edit: my apologies on my post no pertaining to construction progress/updates.
I was about to post this. You beat me to it! Lol

TP2000

2017.... painful.

Yes. And the original announcement by Bob Iger in 2011 was that Avatarland "construction would begin in 2013". But that hasn't started yet, and four years of construction makes no sense logistically.

The new 2017 date released to the media by George Kalogridis would seem to offer them some breathing room for the next 12 to 18 months while they decide if they are really doing this Avatarland thing or not. To cancel it though, they'll need to be able to announce something else major and impressive for a WDW park; Cars Land East, Star Wars Land, DHS Extreme Makeover, etc..

But with the "2017" date now out there, they at least just bought themselves some time.

twebber55

Yes. And the original announcement by Bob Iger in 2011 was that Avatarland "construction would begin in 2013". But that hasn't started yet, and four years of construction makes no sense logistically.

The new 2017 date released to the media by George Kalogridis would seem to offer them some breathing room for the next 12 to 18 months while they decide if they are really doing this Avatarland thing or not. To cancel it though, they'll need to be able to announce something else major and impressive for a WDW park; Cars Land East, Star Wars Land, DHS Extreme Makeover, etc..

But with the "2017" date now out there, they at least just bought themselves some time.
dont get this logic at all...why bring it up if you re still deciding whether to do it..or maybe they realize it took longer to work this out with JC and now they have a date

looks like the title is about avatar

lazyboy97o

dont get this logic at all...why bring it up if you re still deciding whether to do it..or maybe they realize it took longer to work this out with JC and now they have a date
But who brought up the subject? Did Kalogridis offer it up voluntarily or was he asked? I don't know as I don't have an account for the paper's website.

twebber55

But who brought up the subject? Did Kalogridis offer it up voluntarily or was he asked? I don't know as I don't have an account for the paper's website.
why not keep the status quo and say hey we re still designing although i get what you are saying....i would love to read the whole article

PeterAlt

Here's my take on the whole thing. For months, the top two questions people kept asking here have been (1) Where's George K, and (2) Why haven't they started construction on Avatar? It just happens to be that - out of the blue - George K. steps out from hiding to talk about Avatar. Suddenly, it's all very clear now, for me. George K. has taken ownership of the Avatar project. This is his baby now - the first project he will supervise from start to finish under his watch as the new WDW president... And he has to get this one right because this is what everyone will look to as a measure of his performance. He needs to make a good impression on everyone who's watching - fans, Bob Iger, future possible boses such as Kathleen Kennedy or Tom Staggs, stockholders, all the WDW cast members working under him, the Orlando Sentinel and other local media, etc.

So, mystery solved. George K. took ownership of Avatar and he's been mostly at the model shop and sitting in on WDI meetings, giving his say on every little project detail, telling the Imagineers to add that, change this, delete that, and pushing the Imagineers to create at the best of their abilities. He probably walked into the project from day 1 of his new job unsatisfied with the work thus far and they basically had to start over. There might have been multiple project restarts.

That explains the delay. It also explains what George was doing all this time in hiding!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom