Did Knee

No, you have no case at all. Walt and company adapted those stories into Disney versions and Disney classics. Iger just bought up characters that have already been developed and made into movies and TV shows. No creativity involved there. Tsk...you're yet another person who doesn't know the difference between acquisition and artistry...
Go see "Saving Mr. Banks" when it comes out, then explain to me this difference again. I'm missing your point.

rd805

I'm confused.... Wasn't this thread for Avatar news? Not the same pointless debates in every other Avatar thread??

How many times are you going to say the same thing over and over again (maybe not YOU specifically) - jeez people get over it - people are talking , and a lot. ISNT THAT ENOUGH. - :)

luv

Nearly 100 pages and no news?

I suppose Gno Gnews Is Good Gnews, but you'd think they'd have announced something.

Turtle

Magenta, if Tower of Terror didn't have a Twilight Zone theme then it'd basically be a thrill version of the Mansion.

Magenta Panther

John Lasseter was fired from Disney and got hired by Lucasfilm. Ed Catmull, etc. we're all lucasfilm employees and had no relation to Disney what so ever. Pixar became successful because of Lucas and Steve Jobs. Had nothing to do with Disney. The aesthetics are nothing alike either. The cultures were ENTIRELY different and one made musicals based on fairy tales and old legends and the other made CG comedies set in variations of modern day society.

Lucas couldn't afford to bankroll Pixar's first film. Disney did. Without Disney there would have been no Toy Story. Fact. And Lasseter was very heavily influenced by Disney. He was a Disney nut. He worked at Disneyland during his college days because he was so crazy about all things Disney. Watch "The Pixar Story" on Netflix; it'll show you what I'm talking about. I'm not discounting Lucas' and Job's contribution to Pixar. But I repeat, the ties between Pixar and Disney are very strong and interwoven, and Disney influenced Pixar from its very beginning, and that's why Pixar and Disney, UNLIKE Muppets, UNLIKE Marvel, and UNLIKE Lucasfilm, fit so well together...aesthetically.

FigmentJedi

Lucas couldn't afford to bankroll Pixar's first film. Disney did. Without Disney there would have been no Toy Story. Fact. And Lasseter was very heavily influenced by Disney. He was a Disney nut. He worked at Disneyland during his college days because he was so crazy about all things Disney. Watch "The Pixar Story" on Netflix; it'll show you what I'm talking about. I'm not discounting Lucas' and Job's contribution to Pixar. But I repeat, the ties between Pixar and Disney are very strong and interwoven, and Disney influenced Pixar from its very beginning, and that's why Pixar and Disney, UNLIKE Muppets, UNLIKE Marvel, and UNLIKE Lucasfilm, fit so well together...aesthetically.
And it was Pixar that created the CAPS system that made the 90s Disney films possible.

As for Lucasfilm, George and Spielberg have acknowledged on several occasions with Indiana Jones how influential the Carl Barks Duck comics were on the series and the sounds of the Mine Cars from Temple of Doom are recorded from Big Thunder. Also at least several times when George was trying to shop Star Wars around Hollywood and looking for backers, studio heads did think he should have gone knocking on Disney's doors until Fox finally decided to fund the project.

I'm not going to bother discussing with you about how I think the Muppets and Disney complement each other because you never listen and seem to take any given opportunity to flaunt how you seem to hate Jim Henson and his legacy with every fiber of your being.

Captain Chaos

I am amazed that the topic of Avatar Progress has gotten to almost 100 pages. :hilarious: One could write the complete description of the progress to this point on the head of a pin. :grumpy:
I'm, surprised it is only at 100 pages... Avatar threads usually descend into madness, just like this one... but they do so in 200 or more pages... I guess we'll get there eventually....

The problem I see with this thread is, this was meant to be a progress tracker... yet, it became a typical Avatar thread... Tim's idea was nice... But he should have known the members here would never not argue in an Avatar thread, and actually use said thread for its intended purpose...

Turtle

False! Steve Jobs did. And using that logic, Jim Henson actually had a lot of Disney inspirations including how he wanted to be an animator there

twebber55

I'm, surprised it is only at 100 pages... Avatar threads usually descend into madness, just like this one... but they do so in 200 or more pages... I guess we'll get there eventually....

The problem I see with this thread is, this was meant to be a progress tracker... yet, it became a typical Avatar thread... Tim's idea was nice... But he should have known the members here would never not argue in an Avatar thread, and actually use said thread for its intended purpose...
dxer it actually made it farther than i ever thought...this was a good thread for a while and then about two weeks ago when it got ran over by the folks who disregarded the mods from page one

Captain Chaos

dxer it actually made it farther than i ever thought...this was a good thread for a while and then about two weeks ago when it got ran over by the folks who disregarded the mods from page one
A lot of requests by the mods/Steve get looked over by members.. I know I am guilty of it too... Tim's idea was nice, but everyone had to know the madness would have eventually started.... it is an Avatar thread after all LOL...

Too bad the thread wasn't sticky and locked and only opened for Tim when he had any news on the progress... Then the thread would have fulfilled its purpose... We have enough Avatar threads to discuss the merits...

Captain Neo

Your missing the point though. If Disney did not bankroll Pixar's first film someone else would have done it wether it was Fox, Universal, Sony, or New Line. Just because Disney was the one who financed it doesn't mean squat. Second while Lasseter was a Disney nut he was also a Lucasfilm nut and was heavily influenced by Star Wars. In fact he used to go around saying "I want to do the Star Wars trilogy equivalent in animation". And again aesthetically their movies are nothing alike (especially before the merger) and Pixar's culture which is director and creator oriented is very different from Disney's top down management style where suits determined what movies got put into development. I've seen the Pixar Story doc several times. It does not back your claims. Disney has as much in common with Pixar as it does with Lucasfilm, the Muppets, and Marvel. Frankly between those 4 Pixar is the least Disney to me IMO.

The argument is pointless though as all of those are considered branches of Disney. Case closed.

RSoxNo1

I agree with you on some level, that they do not leverage their own library enough, but what you don't see is that - if they relied simply on the Disney library, their audience considerably narrows.

And if your case rests on Peter Pan's Flight, it's pretty precarious - because Peter Pan's Flight has such lines because of tiny vehicles and the most antiquated loading procedure in the entire resort.

To answer your question about ToT - yeah, actually. Using a theme like Twilight Zone with that catchy theme music that everyone knows (even if you have never seen the show) immediately sets the tone of the pre-show (you always hear people start to get excited at that point). Could they have used something else? Yes (and originally, they were). But since Disney doesn't have any "creepy" franchises of their own, and certainly none known as well as the Twilight Zone brand, it made sense to make a partner.

And yeah, the original Star Tours would have sucked if it wasn't Star Wars-themed. They tried that - Body Wars. See how well that turned out (although it was cool because eventually it proved its value, it gave them spare parts to fix Star Tours until it finally got remodeled).

Let's face it, the problem is - if they didn't go to outside franchises, all we have are Disney animated films. The only live-action mega-success Disney has had has been PotC - which, ironically, is based on a ride to begin with. So I guess we could have ToT themed around Magica De Spell from Ducktales, or RnR based on The Party (go look that one up kids - I used to swear Damon was going to be my husband some day).

That said - I agree, we need more based on those classic Disney films - but to counter your "Peter Pan, case closed" - what are the most popular attractions at Disney world that have been built in the last 20 years? Most of them are not based on Disney franchises, or franchises that originated with Disney (and they bought them later).

As much as I love TLM ride, and wish we had a dozen more like it based on all the classic animated films - it's not exactly what makes national headlines and brings new blood into the parks, like something like a true Star Wars land just might do.
Peter Pan's Flight is a pretty fast loading attraction and has decent capacity for a Fantasyland dark ride (1200 Guests per hour if I'm not mistaken). Personally, I don't get it's popularity, I think it's the most overrated attraction on property and would love to see it get a major refurbishment that would bring a lot more motion to the existing animatronics as well as other effects. I threw this out today while riding California's version of Peter Pan's Flight (probably better, but the loading there is far more primitive than Florida): Why not use the same concept for the expanding mirror in Enchanted Tales with Belle in Peter Pan's Flight? For Pan you could make the 2nd star to the right get bigger to the point where the boat can pass through it.

RSoxNo1

I agree with you on some level, that they do not leverage their own library enough, but what you don't see is that - if they relied simply on the Disney library, their audience considerably narrows.

And if your case rests on Peter Pan's Flight, it's pretty precarious - because Peter Pan's Flight has such lines because of tiny vehicles and the most antiquated loading procedure in the entire resort.

To answer your question about ToT - yeah, actually. Using a theme like Twilight Zone with that catchy theme music that everyone knows (even if you have never seen the show) immediately sets the tone of the pre-show (you always hear people start to get excited at that point). Could they have used something else? Yes (and originally, they were). But since Disney doesn't have any "creepy" franchises of their own, and certainly none known as well as the Twilight Zone brand, it made sense to make a partner.

And yeah, the original Star Tours would have sucked if it wasn't Star Wars-themed. They tried that - Body Wars. See how well that turned out (although it was cool because eventually it proved its value, it gave them spare parts to fix Star Tours until it finally got remodeled).

Let's face it, the problem is - if they didn't go to outside franchises, all we have are Disney animated films. The only live-action mega-success Disney has had has been PotC - which, ironically, is based on a ride to begin with. So I guess we could have ToT themed around Magica De Spell from Ducktales, or RnR based on The Party (go look that one up kids - I used to swear Damon was going to be my husband some day).

That said - I agree, we need more based on those classic Disney films - but to counter your "Peter Pan, case closed" - what are the most popular attractions at Disney world that have been built in the last 20 years? Most of them are not based on Disney franchises, or franchises that originated with Disney (and they bought them later).

As much as I love TLM ride, and wish we had a dozen more like it based on all the classic animated films - it's not exactly what makes national headlines and brings new blood into the parks, like something like a true Star Wars land just might do.
Peter Pan's Flight is a pretty fast loading attraction and has decent capacity for a Fantasyland dark ride (1200 Guests per hour if I'm not mistaken). Personally, I don't get it's popularity, I think it's the most overrated attraction on property and would love to see it get a major refurbishment that would bring a lot more motion to the existing animatronics as well as other effects. I threw this out today while riding California's version of Peter Pan's Flight (probably better, but the loading there is far more primitive than Florida): Why not use the same concept for the expanding mirror in Enchanted Tales with Belle in Peter Pan's Flight? For Pan you could make the 2nd star to the right get bigger to the point where the boat can pass through it.
21st century

2000s

2000 - "Celia," the last Pyrenean Ibex dies under a fallen tree. The reasons for its extinction are still being debated. However in 2009 it was cloned back into existence but died 7 minutes later due to defects in the lungs, making it extinct once again.2003 - The last individual from the St. Helena Olive, which was grown in cultivation, dies off. The last plant in the wild had disappeared in 1994.2006 - A technologically sophisticated survey of the Yangtze River failed to find specimens of theBaiji Dolphin, prompting scientists to declare it functionally extinct.[18]2008 - The Liverpool Pigeon (Caloenas maculata) is thought to have become extinct.

2010s

2010 - The Alaotra Grebe (Tachybaptus rufolavatus) is declared extinct.2012 - The last Vietnamese Javan Rhino(Rhinoceros sondaicus annamiticus) is shot shot in Vietnam2011 - The Eastern Cougar was declared extinct.[19]2011 - The Western Black Rhinoceros was declared extinct.[20]2012 - The Japanese River Otter (Lutra lutra whiteneyi) has been declared extinct by the country’s Ministry of the Environment, after not being seen for more than 30 years.2012 - "Lonesome George," the last specimen of the Pinta Island Tortoise died on June 10 2012.2013 - The Formosan clouded leopard, previously endemic to the island of Taiwan, is officially declared extinct.[21]Oh, if one cannot tell, I am not convinced that Pandora is appropriate for DAK.

I'd rather an extinct animal theme than these faux creatures.

Maybe some Dodo (hey, it ties back to Alice, the Dodo could host the land) and even more recently extinct critters. Maybe an endangered/extinct watch where guests could return to see how some species are doing.

Here is a quick find extinct list since 2000.
The Javan Rhino is not extinct, but it's speculated that under 50 are left in a reserve (I believe in Uganada). They become extinct in a particular territory in the time frame mentioned.
There are only 8 known Northern White Rhinos left in existence, and apparently only 1 of them is of breeding age, so they will become extinct in our lifetime.

krazazian

Anyone seen the Undiscovered Disney on travel channel recently? It's info says its from 2004, but I watched the latter part of it last night and it seems to have been updated. They show a lot of New FantasyLand, and at the end they have a 2-3 minute segment bringing up Avatarland talking about the possible attractions that could be built in the land. The imagineers talk about it on camera.

ToTBellHop

Anyone seen the Undiscovered Disney on travel channel recently? It's info says its from 2004, but I watched the latter part of it last night and it seems to have been updated. They show a lot of New FantasyLand, and at the end they have a 2-3 minute segment bringing up Avatarland talking about the possible attractions that could be built in the land. The imagineers talk about it on camera.
Yeah, I saw that. They continue to be so vague on Avatarland. Lots of "we're so excited at all of the options available to us." etc. I'd love to hear about one of those options. Wouldn't we all?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom