Avatar Land...think Disney regrets the idea?

flyerjab

Given Rhode wasn't exactly thrilled and basically given an ultimatum, and WDI have managed to inflate their already bloated costings to detrimental effect, it certainly won't be a creative or industry led celebration.

Even though I know you know way more than I do about what goes on behind the scenes (and I respect you a ton on these forums) I will differ with you on this point.

I have worked on and lead major capital projects where I am currently employed. I have been assigned some projects that I had no choice and wanted no part of. That being said, there was no way I was going to do a subpar or mediocre job, if for no other reason than that of ego. And I was only working on vaccine manufacturing suites and equipment. Rohde is working on an entire expansion for a theme park and the stakes are very high. I don't believe that his effort will be lackluster by any stretch. Working on something of this scale for people all over the world to come and visit is pretty much akin to letting your "boys" (innuendo) hang out for everyone to see. There is no way this is not given every ounce of effort by Rohde and company within the budget they accept.

I also think that the unique nature of this expansion will be a creatively-led celebration. The land itself, paired with the floating mountains and the bioluminescence at night should prove amazing enough. Just my opinion though.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
To big to fail?
A 150 foot floating mountain really might be too big to fail;)

Many projects have made in this far and never opened. They built bridges cleared land and announced a new hotel to be built on the Eagle Pines golf course, it never happened it sat there and now is the site of the Four Seasons. Many are aware of how the Pop Century phase 2 hotel sat vacant for years. There is a completely empty show building in Japan for a ride that still to this day doesn't exist.

Whatever construction is going on could easily be changed to something else. I don't think it's a coincidence at all that this project is taking nearly a decade to be built. I think Disney was smart enough to plan it on a wait and see how the movie does basis. If the movie is a huge hit they can easily push ahead with the project. If it flops they can slow things down and come up with a back-up plan, assuming they haven't already.
Not sure how familiar you are with construction, but what they currently have built could not be easily changed to something else. If the first sequel doesn't come out until December of 2016 it will be a few months into 2017 before they find out if it's a success or a bomb. The land opens in 2017. If they wanted to wait to see if the next movie was a success they wouldn't have broken ground years before it even was released. It's just wishful thinking at this point.

I think the Japan show building was built when EPCOT was built. They didn't start a new project and build a show building only to cancel it when it was about to open. There were plans to build additional WS attractions in Japan and Germany over the years. @marni1971 probably knows the exact history. I don't think it's the same thing as building out an Avatarland and then not opening it because the movie sequel bombs. The hotel examples were related to a downturn in tourism and an economic recession. The projects weren't put on hold because of a lack of popularity with then theme. It would be much more likely that Avatarland would be delayed or cancelled because of a macro-economic event like a major world wide recession (which is possible) or a sharp downturn in tourism due to a 9/11 like event then because of the new movie bombing. Even then it may be too late to turn back at this point.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes. I'm serious. Someone could write an entire book about Disney projects that have made it this far and much further into development and never seen the light of day. Anyone who thinks this project is set in stone at this point is in denial. Could it happen sure, but that doesn't mean it will. Tom Staggs announced the project would take 5 years to be constructed. The reality is it just doesn't take that long to build something like this. There are a lot of reasons they could be dragging the timeline of the project along. Maybe they just want to spread the cost out. I think it's equally safe to assume that they may be building this with different commitment points along the way. Disney is a big company they've built things like this before they know what they are doing and I think they just didn't want to jump right in but at the same time they wanted to be ahead of the game if this movie does well. It seems like a very smart move to me.
Well I do agree with you on one thing...someone is in denial;)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think the Japan show building was built when EPCOT was built. They didn't start a new project and build a show building only to cancel it when it was about to open..

It was indeed built in 1981-2.

Structural issues and a fresh look at a debatable script postponed it until phase two. Though not before the building was built as planned and I belive work had started on the interior items.

As we know phase twos have a tendency to get lost.

twebber55

Not sure how familiar you are with construction, but what they currently have built could not be easily changed to something else. If the first sequel doesn't come out until December of 2016 it will be a few months into 2017 before they find out if it's a success or a bomb. The land opens in 2017. If they wanted to wait to see if the next movie was a success they wouldn't have broken ground years before it even was released. It's just wishful thinking at this point.

I think the Japan show building was built when EPCOT was built. They didn't start a new project and build a show building only to cancel it when it was about to open. There were plans to build additional WS attractions in Japan and Germany over the years. @marni1971 probably knows the exact history. I don't think it's the same thing as building out an Avatarland and then not opening it because the movie sequel bombs. The hotel examples were related to a downturn in tourism and an economic recession. The projects weren't put on hold because of a lack of popularity with then theme. It would be much more likely that Avatarland would be delayed or cancelled because of a macro-economic event like a major world wide recession (which is possible) or a sharp downturn in tourism due to a 9/11 like event then because of the new movie bombing. Even then it may be too late to turn back at this point.
well said...all this is, is people who didn't like the movie so they don't want it to be built wishful thinking
it s being built period...the next movie wont do as well it will probably only make 1.4 billion this time...

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member

I think you are 100% on this. The hotel projects put on hold where due to 9/11 and than the expansion of DVC decreasing the need for additional standard hotel rooms on the property. There would have to be a major world wide event to stop this project from happening. The time it is taking to build this project is about the same as for other major expansion with the only difference is that the other projects are not usually released to the public before concept design is completed.

Mouse Trap

As stated prior, I think the real home run to this will be how it appears at night. The thought of walking into Pandora in the evening conjures up some sort of odd fan boy-like excitement IF we get a well executed beautiful, bio-luminescent forest and towering "mountains" featured in the concept art/films.

Obviously Disney is building Pandora to keep people at AK through the evening, but Disney can really strike gold if it creates an attraction specifically designed to visit at night. There is nothing of the sort in central Florida. Yes, I know DA and Hogsmeade look really pretty at night, but its just some lit windows and dark(er) walkways. I'm hoping we get an entirely unique experience at night compared to during the day.

twebber55

As stated prior, I think the real home run to this will be how it appears at night. The thought of walking into Pandora in the evening conjures up some sort of odd fan boy-like excitement IF we get a well executed beautiful, bio-luminescent forest and towering "mountains" featured in the concept art/films.

Obviously Disney is building Pandora to keep people at AK through the evening, but Disney can really strike gold if it creates an attraction specifically designed to visit at night. There is nothing of the sort in central Florida. Yes, I know DA and Hogsmeade look really pretty at night, but its just some lit windows and dark(er) walkways. I'm hoping we get an entirely unique experience at night compared to during the day.
I agree
this has the POTENTIAL to be a real game changer at night

Mike S

I actually think having a non-cartoon, non-Disney franchise was the right move for the park. Outside of the 3 shows the rest of DAK is not really focused on Disney cartoon characters. If the park was finished as originally planned they were going to build Beastly Kingdom. Based on stories about the original concept for Beastly Kingdom, the main focus was on dragons and other fictitious animals. If they called this new land Beastly Kingdom instead of Avatarland and the main ride was a simulator where you got to fly on the back of a generic dragon instead of one of those flying things from Avatar would it be that different? If Beastly Kingdom featured the dragon simulator ride housed inside a floating mountain plus a boat ride featuring additional fictional animals and some walking trails no one would be questioning it fitting in with the park. Because of the blue people and the name Avatar it suddenly doesn't fit.
Except if it was Beastly Kingdom there wouldn't be a simulator. The main ride would be a roller coaster with a fire breathing animatronic Dragon.
image.jpg

I still want to see this happen one day. There is still that huge plot of empty land behind Asia......

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Except if it was Beastly Kingdom there wouldn't be a simulator. The main ride would be a roller coaster with a fire breathing animatronic Dragon.
View attachment 78061
I still want to see this happen one day. There is still that huge plot of empty land behind Asia......
That may have been the original plan, but I think EE has a very similar concept to that except with a swiping yeti (when working) instead of a fire breathing dragon. Having a Soarin type simulator does provide diversity of rides for AK since there is nothing like it in the park.

Cesar R M

I think the odds of the sequels truly flopping is pretty small based on Cameron's track record. He hasn't really had a bomb since "Piranha Part Two: The Spawning"
the trivia part of that movie is pretty funny..

Credit for directing this film was given to James Cameron. Most of the work was actually performed by Ovidio G. Assonitis, the film's producer and prolific film-maker. Assonitis was dissatisfied with Cameron's progress after the first week and took over. According to "Dreaming Aloud," a biography of James Cameron by Christopher Heard, Cameron did do the shooting for this movie, but was not allowed to see his footage and was not involved in editing. He broke into the editing room and cut his own version, but was caught and Assonitis re-cut it again.

Seems the "Assonitis" guy pretty much ruined that movie due of his ego. Reminds me also the movie THE ROOM.

Cesar R M

It was indeed built in 1981-2.

Structural issues and a fresh look at a debatable script postponed it until phase two. Though not before the building was built as planned and I belive work had started on the interior items.

As we know phase twos have a tendency to get lost.
its sad when executives always can "phase two", because "phase one is enough and we're satisfied"

to clarify. "Can" as in Trash.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Many projects have made in this far and never opened. They built bridges cleared land and announced a new hotel to be built on the Eagle Pines golf course, it never happened it sat there and now is the site of the Four Seasons. Many are aware of how the Pop Century phase 2 hotel sat vacant for years. There is a completely empty show building in Japan for a ride that still to this day doesn't exist.

Whatever construction is going on could easily be changed to something else. I don't think it's a coincidence at all that this project is taking nearly a decade to be built. I think Disney was smart enough to plan it on a wait and see how the movie does basis. If the movie is a huge hit they can easily push ahead with the project. If it flops they can slow things down and come up with a back-up plan, assuming they haven't already.

Where do you get a decade from? It's supposed to open in early 2017 which means three years to build and 5 years from announcement. The only unusual thing about this is that it was announced far earlier in the development process then most new attractions.

s8film40

he just hate'n... let the troll lie
I'm sorry I exaggerated. It was announced in 2011 and is said to open in 2017. To me that's a good portion of a decade of coarse it's assuming it opens on time. In any case, lets just say 5 years. I'm not hating or trolling. I'm simply discussing the point that many projects although planned do not make it through the planning or even construction phase. I have followed theme parks and especially WDW for a very long time and I have become accustomed to not accepting something as fact until it's pretty much finished. This is simply a lesson I have learned from history especially WDW history. If indeed like the question this thread asks "Does Disney regret Avatar" is true I am simply pointing out that it isn't built yet and that doesn't mean it will end up being built. If they truly come to regret the decision it simply doesn't have to happen.

I have often commented in the past that the theme parks often miss out on a lot of the hype surrounding new IP's because they wait such a long time to develop attractions. They wait to make sure it's something that's going to hold up over time, movies come and go but it's not so easy to forget about a physical theme park attractions. I think the timeline of this project is somewhat telling. The attraction is set to open the year following the new movies release. Meaning should the movie be a big hit they will be able to capitalize off of it very quickly. However that timing also gives them the benefit to feel out the situation as they go and if they decide to make some last minute changes they can. I think this is a smart approach, and could be a very good model for handling future IP's

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom