Avatar Land...think Disney regrets the idea?

FoozieBear

That's exactly why this land is such a big risk. Only time will tell, but it will be interesting to see how things play out at DAK if the sequels flop, or if people will be sick of them. The only comparison that comes to mind is Jurassic Park, and even though the sequels stunk and everyone hated them, they still became a popular franchise in Universal Studios. It's possible the same could happen for Avatar.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That's exactly why this land is such a big risk. Only time will tell, but it will be interesting to see how things play out at DAK if the sequels flop, or if people will be sick of them. The only comparison that comes to mind is Jurassic Park, and even though the sequels stunk and everyone hated them, they still became a popular franchise in Universal Studios. It's possible the same could happen for Avatar.

Splash mountain is based on a movie that Disney actively tries to deny the existence of but the ride is still very popular.

flyerjab

Honestly, I really liked this acquisition. The main reason is that it was a surprising acquisition. Acquiring something like the Star Wars franchise made perfect sense to me. Even Marvel did, if not purely from a merchandizing standpoint, and that Disney needed something that little boys could flock to aside from the little Disney princesses all over the place.

Working with James Cameron to develop an expansion at DAK to allow people to experience the flora and fauna of Pandora was so much more of a risky move and seemed more out-of-the-box to me. It's not like there is a ton of Avatar inspired merchandise out there that Disney was coveting. This is a unique move that they made and sometimes these types of ideas can generate truly unique experiences. I know some will say that Disney will fail with this and was a knee-jerk reaction or whatever, but I think that Joe Rohde, James Cameron and the imagineers and going to absolutely hit this one out of the park so to speak.

And oh yeah, have you ridden into DAK lately? There is no way - aside from some catastrophic world event - that this expansion isn't happening.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I think the odds of the sequels truly flopping is pretty small based on Cameron's track record. He hasn't really had a bomb since "Piranha Part Two: The Spawning"

s8film40

If you scenario is true then someone better tell all the workers who are currently pouring tons of concrete and putting up tons of steel. Like it or not, this project is happening, no doubt about it at this point.

Foundations are poured and vertical construction started. Whether you like the idea or not, it's happening. There is no wishing this away. The sequels could be flat out cancelled or flop really badly and the land will still open.

Many projects have made in this far and never opened. They built bridges cleared land and announced a new hotel to be built on the Eagle Pines golf course, it never happened it sat there and now is the site of the Four Seasons. Many are aware of how the Pop Century phase 2 hotel sat vacant for years. There is a completely empty show building in Japan for a ride that still to this day doesn't exist.

Whatever construction is going on could easily be changed to something else. I don't think it's a coincidence at all that this project is taking nearly a decade to be built. I think Disney was smart enough to plan it on a wait and see how the movie does basis. If the movie is a huge hit they can easily push ahead with the project. If it flops they can slow things down and come up with a back-up plan, assuming they haven't already.

twebber55

Many projects have made in this far and never opened. They built bridges cleared land and announced a new hotel to be built on the Eagle Pines golf course, it never happened it sat there and now is the site of the Four Seasons. Many are aware of how the Pop Century phase 2 hotel sat vacant for years. There is a completely empty show building in Japan for a ride that still to this day doesn't exist.

Whatever construction is going on could easily be changed to something else. I don't think it's a coincidence at all that this project is taking nearly a decade to be built. I think Disney was smart enough to plan it on a wait and see how the movie does basis. If the movie is a huge hit they can easily push ahead with the project. If it flops they can slow things down and come up with a back-up plan, assuming they haven't already.
you serious? or just trying to be funny?
I cant believe some are still in denial that this will open
the next movie will come out in Dec 2016 then the land will open a few months later
the rides based on Avatar/Pandora are being developed right now
jeez

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Honestly, I really liked this acquisition. The main reason is that it was a surprising acquisition. Acquiring something like the Star Wars franchise made perfect sense to me. Even Marvel did, if not purely from a merchandizing standpoint, and that Disney needed something that little boys could flock to aside from the little Disney princesses all over the place.

Working with James Cameron to develop an expansion at DAK to allow people to experience the flora and fauna of Pandora was so much more of a risky move and seemed more out-of-the-box to me. It's not like there is a ton of Avatar inspired merchandise out there that Disney was coveting. This is a unique move that they made and sometimes these types of ideas can generate truly unique experiences. I know some will say that Disney will fail with this and was a knee-jerk reaction or whatever, but I think that Joe Rohde, James Cameron and the imagineers and going to absolutely hit this one out of the park so to speak.

And oh yeah, have you ridden into DAK lately? There is no way - aside from some catastrophic world event - that this expansion isn't happening.
I actually think having a non-cartoon, non-Disney franchise was the right move for the park. Outside of the 3 shows the rest of DAK is not really focused on Disney cartoon characters. If the park was finished as originally planned they were going to build Beastly Kingdom. Based on stories about the original concept for Beastly Kingdom, the main focus was on dragons and other fictitious animals. If they called this new land Beastly Kingdom instead of Avatarland and the main ride was a simulator where you got to fly on the back of a generic dragon instead of one of those flying things from Avatar would it be that different? If Beastly Kingdom featured the dragon simulator ride housed inside a floating mountain plus a boat ride featuring additional fictional animals and some walking trails no one would be questioning it fitting in with the park. Because of the blue people and the name Avatar it suddenly doesn't fit.

twebber55

Given Rhode wasn't exactly thrilled and basically given an ultimatum, and WDI have managed to inflate their already bloated costings to detrimental effect, it certainly won't be a creative or industry led celebration.
so are you saying WDI is not excited about this project and that they re only doing it because they have to?

s8film40

you serious? or just trying to be funny?
I cant believe some are still in denial that this will open
the next movie will come out in Dec 2016 then the land will open a few months later
the rides based on Avatar/Pandora are being developed right now
jeez

Yes. I'm serious. Someone could write an entire book about Disney projects that have made it this far and much further into development and never seen the light of day. Anyone who thinks this project is set in stone at this point is in denial. Could it happen sure, but that doesn't mean it will. Tom Staggs announced the project would take 5 years to be constructed. The reality is it just doesn't take that long to build something like this. There are a lot of reasons they could be dragging the timeline of the project along. Maybe they just want to spread the cost out. I think it's equally safe to assume that they may be building this with different commitment points along the way. Disney is a big company they've built things like this before they know what they are doing and I think they just didn't want to jump right in but at the same time they wanted to be ahead of the game if this movie does well. It seems like a very smart move to me.

twebber55

Yes. I'm serious. Someone could write an entire book about Disney projects that have made it this far and much further into development and never seen the light of day. Anyone who thinks this project is set in stone at this point is in denial. Could it happen sure, but that doesn't mean it will. Tom Staggs announced the project would take 5 years to be constructed. The reality is it just doesn't take that long to build something like this. There are a lot of reasons they could be dragging the timeline of the project along. Maybe they just want to spread the cost out. I think it's equally safe to assume that they may be building this with different commitment points along the way. Disney is a big company they've built things like this before they know what they are doing and I think they just didn't want to jump right in but at the same time they wanted to be ahead of the game if this movie does well. It seems like a very smart move to me.
I think you re way over thinking this
cars land took 5 years and this is on a similar time line as that

Incomudro

I don't find Avatar Land to be a risk.
The only risk would be in not making it good.
If it's good, great, or amazing - as I believe it will be - it'll stand on its own.
Build it (and make it great) and they will come.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom