Avatar Land...think Disney regrets the idea?

Greenlawler

Sorry I am late to the party on this one, but I agree with the posters who said this was a kneejerk reaction to HP world.

Fact is Disney should have considered a project that had a "mythos" that moved the dial with the public.

Sorry but despite the sales numbers Avatar does not have a front and center profile. It's a film that capitalized on it's time and was done.

There are so many Disney properties with their own "mythos" that could have been used.

I was personally hoping this was all a big swerve and they were going to build something else. But at this point I think the backlash has been so strong Disney execs want to prove people wrong and go through with something we all have very little emotional attachment to.

Cesar R M

I honestly think the world per se is a good idea. The story we see in the movies.. not too much.
The world of Avatar, as seen in the night parts of the movie.. is what could bring amazing feel to the Avatar Land.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Sorry I am late to the party on this one, but I agree with the posters who said this was a kneejerk reaction to HP world.

Fact is Disney should have considered a project that had a "mythos" that moved the dial with the public.

Sorry but despite the sales numbers Avatar does not have a front and center profile. It's a film that capitalized on it's time and was done.

There are so many Disney properties with their own "mythos" that could have been used.

I was personally hoping this was all a big swerve and they were going to build something else. But at this point I think the backlash has been so strong Disney execs want to prove people wrong and go through with something we all have very little emotional attachment to.

Right, because GOOD management never looks at an idea, especially when a large fan base is telling your this isn't going to be a good idea, decides to change course and mitigate the fallout from the original bad idea....and come up with a better idea more in line with the corporation. Does anyone know if Katzenberg would want his old job back? The lack of imagination Iger has demonstrated over the past couple of years is worrisome....

gljvd

I'm not a fan of avatar . It looks great but the movie was ho hum. However they do have 3 sequals planned out and it seems the 3 sequals will hit within a few years of each other(Cameron has said he is working on the first 2 together)

So if this open around the same time as the park it could be quite huge for Disney.

At the same time something like Harry potter will start to loose its steam. The movies are done and the books have bene done for awhile. I don't hear anyone talking about the property anymore unless its about the universal park.

I think if you look at universal you will see how any movie becomes old after awhile. The studios I remember had back to the future , jaws , king kong. Now all those rides have been replaced even though they were some of the biggest movies of their time. Even Men in black ride is forgotten at the studios.

I think 10 or 15 years after avatar is done people will want them to replace the rides with something new. But that can be said about the majority of block b usters.

Cesar R M

I'm not a fan of avatar . It looks great but the movie was ho hum. However they do have 3 sequals planned out and it seems the 3 sequals will hit within a few years of each other(Cameron has said he is working on the first 2 together)

So if this open around the same time as the park it could be quite huge for Disney.

At the same time something like Harry potter will start to loose its steam. The movies are done and the books have bene done for awhile. I don't hear anyone talking about the property anymore unless its about the universal park.

I think if you look at universal you will see how any movie becomes old after awhile. The studios I remember had back to the future , jaws , king kong. Now all those rides have been replaced even though they were some of the biggest movies of their time. Even Men in black ride is forgotten at the studios.

I think 10 or 15 years after avatar is done people will want them to replace the rides with something new. But that can be said about the majority of block b usters.
Rowling is planning on releasing new books, just fyi.

they did a mock "quidditch" worldcup a few months ago in pottermore.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Rowling is planning on releasing new books, just fyi.

they did a mock "quidditch" worldcup a few months ago in pottermore.
Where do you have that quoted... I follow JK Rowling and Harry Potter very closely and never seen a mention of New Harry Potter Books. New shorts stories and descriptions, and movies but haven't heard anything about books.

Matt_Black

Where do you have that quoted... I follow JK Rowling and Harry Potter very closely and never seen a mention of New Harry Potter Books. New shorts stories and descriptions, and movies but haven't heard anything about books.

She's apparently working on a spin-off set in 1930s New York about monster hunters. I don't care about Potter one whit, but a theme park attraction based on wizard private eyes chasing fairy tale critters in a pseudo-noir setting? HECK. YES.

Voxel

She's apparently working on a spin-off set in 1930s New York about monster hunters. I don't care about Potter one whit, but a theme park attraction based on wizard private eyes chasing fairy tale critters in a pseudo-noir setting? HECK. YES.
Last I heard that was film, Magic Beast and where to find them trilogy.

Cesar R M

Last I heard that was film, Magic Beast and where to find them trilogy.
pretty sure is book first, THEN maybe the movie.

also, she mentioned a book about the later life of Potter as Auror., concentrating in the post war of the ministry of magic if I remember correctly.

I remember because it was on the news everywhere.

Voxel

pretty sure is book first, THEN maybe the movie.

also, she mentioned a book about the later life of Potter as Auror., concentrating in the post war of the ministry of magic if I remember correctly.

I remember because it was on the news everywhere.
It was a book in 2001, it's inspired the movie trilogy

I haven't heard much about the Auror one I will have to check it out.

FoozieBear

I thought the movie was okay, but for Disney to build an entire land off one movie? Crazy. I think they jumped he gun way too quickly. Yes, Avatar was the highest grossing film of all time currently, but there's no saying it will hold up in the future, as other things like Star Wars has proven. They jumped it too quickly and it's an awful idea to bring those characters into Disney anyway. The rides will for sure be awesome, but I wish they could be awesome with a better franchise attached to it.

Nick Wilde

I basically agree with everyone on here, if that's possible. I think it was a dumb move by Disney to jump on Avatar, because it doesn't have any fans. I've never heard of a die hard Avatar fan. BUT, and that's a big but, I'm really hyped up for this. A bio-lum forest? Who wouldn't want to see that? I also think it's a good idea for Disney to make another Soarin'-type attraction, considering it's popularity. I can't wait for this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom