doctornick

Obviously, I'm not including the Safaris or even Pandora's show buildings as that would still be unfair.:D Just the land as a whole... the spread of the walking space I guess. I was thinking higher to the tops left, but I'm not going to complain -- still looks epic!

But that's kinda endemic to DAK. The animal trails, for example, do provide a good bit of walking space for guests but the main pathways in all the lands aren't really all that much space. That's part of the reason it was so crappy when the parade was running during the day.

The two additions to Africa (where the FOTLK theater is and the quick serve area) have opened up that land significantly, but it was pretty small previously.

doctornick

True. I do think other people suggestions of some type of entertainment will be needed.

There's been specific mentions in some of the media articles that the "drum circle" will have periodic shows. In between them, guests will be able to play the drums. So that's one thing.

I'd be curious if there are any other plans for live entertainment.

I still think that if Disney really wanted to go all out, they should have brought the minimally used flying dragon that they used at the opening of New Fantasyland and modified its look to be like a banshee (or even a great leonopteryx) and have it fly overhead on a set schedule (on the hour or a few times a day). That would have been a nice touch.

No Name

Another part of AK's flow problem is that there is this big ol' river surrounding the main island and then the RoL lake. And you really have very few opportunities to get close to all that water, except the bridges, which are horrendous choke points. You get pushed to concrete walkways decorated to look like dry dirt walkways which wind up being hot and uncomfortable and you only catch glimpses of the cool waterways nearby. Rather than widening the walkways (which make some of our forum members' teeth itch), they should add walkways that go along the river bank. People love water features.

And to bring this back to Avatar Land... AtWoP seems to do a good job in getting you close to water features.

AtWoP?

Maybe you mean PtWoA? Pandora - The World of Avatar?

ACE branding now on the Magicband readers

View attachment 202806

They look nice, no doubt. But this isn't Disney going the extra mile for Pandora, or upping their immersion game, or anything like that. No. Disney gets no pat on the back here.

They are the ones who, just a few years ago, allowed the standard Mickey-outline readers to be installed in every project of the past. Projects that, mind you, were never intended to have them, and arguably suffer thematically from them. Disney decided that every other land or attraction isn't deserving of unique readers, but that Pandora is deserving.
They knocked every other land thematically, in the name of efficiency. But then decided Pandora is too special for equivalent treatment.

Disney deserves no praise for knocking every other land to put Pandora on top.

Rteetz

AtWoP?

They look nice, no doubt. But this isn't Disney going the extra mile for Pandora, or upping their immersion game, or anything like that. No. Disney gets no pat on the back here.

They are the ones who, just a few years ago, allowed the standard Mickey-outline readers to be installed in every project of the past. Projects that, mind you, were never intended to have them, and arguably suffer thematically from them. Disney decided that every other land or attraction isn't deserving of unique readers, but that Pandora is deserving.
They knocked every other land thematically, in the name of efficiency. But then decided Pandora is too special for equivalent treatment.

I agree to an extent. Imagineering was opposed to the scanners. They wanted themed ones that fit each attraction and land they were in. Executives decided otherwise and went with Frog's idea of having them all look the same with the Mickey face.

But that's kinda endemic to DAK. The animal trails, for example, do provide a good bit of walking space for guests but the main pathways in all the lands aren't really all that much space. That's part of the reason it was so crappy when the parade was running during the day.

The two additions to Africa (where the FOTLK theater is and the quick serve area) have opened up that land significantly, but it was pretty small previously.

It's actually funny... the park wasn't made to handle a parade... when they were originally designing the park designers were assured there would be no parade... lo and behold, a few years later, a parade

Sped2424

I agree to an extent. Imagineering was opposed to the scanners. They wanted themed ones that fit each attraction and land they were in. Executives decided otherwise and went with Frog's idea of having them all look the same with the Mickey face.
This is something that overtime will hopefully be fixed as it's a easy thing to do.

Cesar R M

Another part of AK's flow problem is that there is this big ol' river surrounding the main island and then the RoL lake. And you really have very few opportunities to get close to all that water, except the bridges, which are horrendous choke points. You get pushed to concrete walkways decorated to look like dry dirt walkways which wind up being hot and uncomfortable and you only catch glimpses of the cool waterways nearby. Rather than widening the walkways (which make some of our forum members' teeth itch), they should add walkways that go along the river bank. People love water features.

And to bring this back to Avatar Land... AtWoP seems to do a good job in getting you close to water features.
8o2lq2y.gif

Cesar R M

That sounds realistic.
I rope-dropped escape from Gringotts soon after it first opened and was in and out in under an hour... but the next day it was having technical problems and it took closer to two, so you never know.

Edit: ignore this. I just remembered that I was getting early park entry because of our resort stay.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first headliner attraction in Orlando to open with a fastpass-style system already in place. To my knowledge, all the Potter main attractions have disallowed Express Pass usage in order to keep their standby queues under control. Avatar might be another story, especially if the ride software has teething problems.
We had a few days at Uni after news years. And it had consistent 1 hour queue (3 switches after the main entrance door) so I agree with you.
It all depends on conditions and if its working at peak capacity.

ACE branding now on the Magicband readers

View attachment 202806
clever design!

Still looks very similar to the mickey ones!

DrewmanS

AtWoP?

You mean rides that used to have turnstiles "back in the day"? When introducing new technology, its always better to standardize to help with the learning curve. Having easily identified readers with standard markings at park entrance, FP+ lines, and registers helps with adoption.

As a comparison, try using a mobile device at checkout at a retail store. There are so many different types of readers, icons, and procedures that it can drive you crazy. On some machines you can't tell if it excepts mobile payment or where to place your device.

Having easily identified readers and instructing guests to "place Mickey to Mickey" is much better than theming readers which might be difficult to see and saying "place Mickey to the Sourin' icon [or ride specific logo]".

KrzyKtty

I'm excited to see that Satu'li Canteen will be offering breakfast! AK doesn't have nearly enough breakfast offerings for early morning guests.

Figment82

A friend of a friend on FB posted that he bought one, and everyone was teasing him for spending $50 on a toy. But you're right, these will be the must-have "wand equivalent" of Pandora.

They remind me of a little puppet a friend of mine bought at a Renaissance Faire years ago. You could control its actions with little wires that you hid under your shirt and ran down your arm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom