Incomudro

I predict here and now that there will be a bunch of discussion/panic about motion sickness.
If you have seen the film Avatar, you know that you are diving and swooping and climbing and turning
much more than Soarin'. I would assume that as they have been working on this for several years
that it has been finely tuned--and has the ability to be adjusted finely, even more--as they start to
cycle it heavily.

That said, the ride moves, it has a screen, and therefore, SOME will experience problems. Perhaps
some that post here, or people they talk to, will. For sure. For certain. 'Cause we like to complain
and scream doom and gloom as much as we like to extol and evangelize.

What I think? Your mileage may vary. I hope it's not M:S, 'cause in all the world, that's the only ride
I've ever been on that made me feel bad. And I do roller coasters like nobody's business. I attribute
it to the spinning--which I'll assume that FOP does not do.

As for it not working right, right now, well, I'll assume that's part of regular Test and Adjust. The whole
"machine of a building" needs to hum along cycling guests through at a rapid rate of speed, it's pretty
astonishing when you think of any attraction and how heavily it works. I'm going to assume for now
that the whole thing is NOT a disaster and all will be well, and that this is part of normal working things
out.

And let's remember for all the complaining---tons of people, for example, thousands, millions, ride and
enjoy M:S. So it goes.

I can hardly wait to fly on a Banshee. Booked for October! So they'd better have it figured out by then!

Precisely.
This ride will bother some, and be the greatest thing for others.
It's not going to be the simple, breezy, gentle ride Soarin' is.
How can it be?
By the nature of what it's duplicating, it has to be more radical.

ABQ

Precisely.
This ride will bother some, and be the greatest thing for others.
It's not going to be the simple, breezy, gentle ride Soarin' is.
How can it be?
By the nature of what it's duplicating, it has to be more radical.
Sort of like Everest, I love it, but my girlfriend, not so much. However, as it's the centerpiece of this new land, I do hope it has better satisfaction than say Mission: Space did upon it's initial opening and doesn't create a shortage of barf bags in the county.

Incomudro

Sort of like Everest, I love it, but my girlfriend, not so much. However, as it's the centerpiece of this new land, I do hope it has better satisfaction than say Mission: Space did upon it's initial opening and doesn't create a shortage of barf bags in the county.

Yes, like that.
FoP is definitely a thrill ride of sorts.
I don't know how thrilling, but it's certainly in the Star Tours, Test Track, Everest realm - rather than the Soarin,' assorted boat ride, or Omni mover level of thrill.

dreamscometrue

While not super compatible with the system. The amounts I heard reported seem to be on par with Simpsons.
Simulators are strange beasts. I do Star Tours repeatedly, and I tried some on my first visit to Uni last month...Spiderman, Transformers and Simpson's. All were great and no problem, except The Simpson's ride...never felt so sick at a park. My daughter and her 3 friends (all in their mid 20s) are theme park veterans and do lots of coasters, simulators, etc., but The Simpson's ride made all 4 of them ill last year! I've read online that it causes a lot of people to have issues. I wonder why that ride seems to bother more people than perhaps any other simulator ride in Central Florida?

Last edited:

Princess Leia

That shouldn't even have been a lesson they had to learn. Working out kinks is common knowledge.
I know, but yet Frozen's opening day happened, and the ride wasn't ready for daily use.

At least there are multiple theaters, so if one goes down, others can still be used (right?)

Disneyhead'71

I predict here and now that there will be a bunch of discussion/panic about motion sickness.
If you have seen the film Avatar, you know that you are diving and swooping and climbing and turning
much more than Soarin'. I would assume that as they have been working on this for several years
that it has been finely tuned--and has the ability to be adjusted finely, even more--as they start to
cycle it heavily.

That said, the ride moves, it has a screen, and therefore, SOME will experience problems. Perhaps
some that post here, or people they talk to, will. For sure. For certain. 'Cause we like to complain
and scream doom and gloom as much as we like to extol and evangelize.

What I think? Your mileage may vary. I hope it's not M:S, 'cause in all the world, that's the only ride
I've ever been on that made me feel bad. And I do roller coasters like nobody's business. I attribute
it to the spinning--which I'll assume that FOP does not do.

As for it not working right, right now, well, I'll assume that's part of regular Test and Adjust. The whole
"machine of a building" needs to hum along cycling guests through at a rapid rate of speed, it's pretty
astonishing when you think of any attraction and how heavily it works. I'm going to assume for now
that the whole thing is NOT a disaster and all will be well, and that this is part of normal working things
out.

And let's remember for all the complaining---tons of people, for example, thousands, millions, ride and
enjoy M:S. So it goes.

I can hardly wait to fly on a Banshee. Booked for October! So they'd better have it figured out by then!
You have to remember this is a forum fill with Disney fans, which isn't the heartiest of demographics. We're talking to folks that believe Muppetvision is a ride. Someone here actually said, "I prefer the rides that don't move."

Ummm, that's not a ride.

I'm actually glad Disney finally built something not aimed at 3 month olds and octogenarians.

(Puts on flame suit)

Princess Leia

You have to remember this is a forum fill with Disney fans, which isn't the heartiest of demographics. We're talking to folks that believe Muppetvision is a ride. Someone here actually said, "I prefer the rides that don't move."

Ummm, that's not a ride.

I'm actually glad Disney finally built something not aimed at 3 month olds and octogenarians.

(Puts on flame suit)
Huge pet peeve- "Stitch is a lame ride."

It's not a ride. Just like Muppets, and Phillarmagic, it's never been a ride. They only strap you into that thing so you can't get out!

TTA94

Flight of the Banshee may not be ready either, we don't know. But that's what happens when you announce a date...

Navi River Journey is ready correct?

My expectations of the River Journey is sadly pretty low, as I think they should be, based on what's been said with there being no "thrill" factor and it being equal if not shorter than Frozen Ever After :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

I think insiders (correct me if I'm wrong - I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth) have suggested the problems have to do with the video and motion combo making people ill.

Let's hope we don't wind up with M:S 2.0.
They just need to tweak the motion blur. Excesive Motion blur in 3d environments kills me in Transformers, but the action looks pretty fine in Spiderman.

TTA94

Im actually looking forward to it with the understanding that there will be little 'thrill'.

I am still looking forward to it, more so than FoP. The lack of thrill I can get over but I would be very happy to find out the reports of it being as short as Frozen were false lol.

Rutt

I am still looking forward to it, more so than FoP. The lack of thrill I can get over but I would be very happy to find out the reports of it being as short as Frozen were false lol.
This I can agree with. Alas we are now in the age of quick fixes. Cant stay focused for 2 mins without getting antsy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom