koryadams

All I hope is that this will be an amazing experience and gets good reviews and helps Animal Kingdom!

I think the reason I'm not really saying anything more is mainly because I am all FLE right now lol

Doctor Seeker

Which I fail to see how they will do so, at least in the way Potter did.

My Grandma knows who Harry Potter is. Families have planned vacations just to see WWOHP.

I fail to see that happening for this project. It's a movie that sure made a lot of money because of several factors (including the highest priced tickets ever known - Avatar has the highest dollar amount but is far, far from the highest ticket sales, the tickets simply were very expensive because of 3-D, and the gimmick factor of being the first feature movie truly conceived for digital 3-D), and it's audience was largely teenage males who had repeat attendance, who are not generally the ones who plan trips to Florida theme parks.

Sure, it looks great on paper - "#1 money making movie!" - but it's just one movie, no ancillary to speak of, relatively little merchandising, with a sequel years away that no one knows will be successful or not (since Avatar was critically panned just about everywhere except for "OHH PRETTY!" it's hard to know if people will be as taken in by the 3-D aspect that many years from now once the novelty has worn off), for all we know it could end up being "Matrix Revolutions".

In order for it to work an awful lot of things need to go in their favor, unless they truly make attractions so spectacular that they transcend fans of the franchise and are dynamite theme park attractions on their own (Spiderman, Potter, etc.). I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt until we see what they are doing, but unless Disney is finally stepping up and we aren't just going to get a bunch of video screen crap, I don't see this doing anything major in terms of driving people to Orlando in five years.

I agree with you that Avatar does not quite have the international draw for all ages that Harry Potter has and I agree that I don't think a ton of families are going to plan vacations to Orlando to specifically see Avatar land like they would Harry Potter land, but I think I would almost be willing to wager eating my left shoe if attendance at Animal Kingdom does not increase for a number of years after this is implemented.

I cannot count how many times on this forum that I've heard AK referred to as a "half-day park". For this reason, many families skip going to AK altogether and just focus on the other three parks, water parks, and possibly Universal.

If this Avatar land adds an e-ticket and a d-ticket or two or a show and an incredibly interactive and themed environment, then I'm betting a majority of people who decided to skip out on AK will put it in their vacation plans.

AEfx

I agree with you that Avatar does not quite have the international draw for all ages that Harry Potter has and I agree that I don't think a ton of families are going to plan vacations to Orlando to specifically see Avatar land like they would Harry Potter land, but I think I would almost be willing to wager eating my left shoe if attendance at Animal Kingdom does not increase for a number of years after this is implemented.

I cannot count how many times on this forum that I've heard AK referred to as a "half-day park". For this reason, many families skip going to AK altogether and just focus on the other three parks, water parks, and possibly Universal.

If this Avatar land adds an e-ticket and a d-ticket or two or a show and an incredibly interactive and themed environment, then I'm betting a majority of people who decided to skip out on AK will put it in their vacation plans.

Oh, completely. I'm sure it will redistribute guests that might skimp, or outright skip, AK completely.

Thing is, I think it would more do what AK supposedly did in the first place - redistribute, as opposed to attracting a new audience.

If they are real, well-done attractions then I'm sure I will personally enjoy them as well - but I see a lot of those teenage/early 20's Avatar fans who think that somehow that film is the greatest film ever made, and it's a very limited audience that will be attracted by the name alone.

RadioHead

Oh, completely. I'm sure it will redistribute guests that might skimp, or outright skip, AK completely.

Thing is, I think it would more do what AK supposedly did in the first place - redistribute, as opposed to attracting a new audience.

If they are real, well-done attractions then I'm sure I will personally enjoy them as well - but I see a lot of those teenage/early 20's Avatar fans who think that somehow that film is the greatest film ever made, and it's a very limited audience that will be attracted by the name alone.

No offense but you sound like some 50 year old who simply disliked the movie, and because of this you assume only but teenagers, and young people must like this film.

Again no offense, but that sounds like the logic your using, which is very flawed by the way. I'm in my mid 30's, and have many friends in there late 30's, and even in there early to late 40's. Many saw the film 2-3 times, and wasn't simply because of the 3D Gimmick. It was because of the awe, and beauty they experienced with the setting of Pandora. It was simply something they had to see one more time.

Unless you have statistical diagram, that has done a proven researched survey study of the average age of Avatar fans (or people who saw Avatar more than once), then I wouldn't talk.

Not trying to sound rude, but I know ALOT of people who would love to see a land like this, and would make a special trip to Disney World just for this. Yes the number of Harry Potter fans GREATLY outnumber the Avatar fans (for now at least). But to say only teenagers would want to see this, is just silly.

Again, not trying to sound rude but it simply sounds like you didn't care for the film. You probably found it moot, and generic in some aspects, and the idea of this being a land is the last thing you would've imagined for AK (at least). Again, I'm assuming your friends are similar in your age range, and they most likely didn't like for the film, except for maybe there teenage sons, and daughters. That's where I'm assuming the "limited age range" is coming in to play.

But yeah, dude, I can tell you that not only teenagers love Avatar, many older adults do as well. Hell, the theater I was in looks more like a Senior Citizen Movie Theater. It was packed with grandpa's, and grandma's, and they all seemed to love it.

So sorry, but this limited age range crap sounds silly.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

I hate to say this, but seeing all of the problems that MK is dealing with right now regarding transportation, I actually think this might be something Disney wants.

I don't see this making AK jump ahead of DHS and Epcot for attendance, but it should spread things out a bit more evenly...which is what Disney has needed for a long time.

ProjectGemini

Would it be possible, through some sort of optical illusion, to make it seem like Everest is a part of the floating Mountain range? that could be one way to make it fit into the background

CinematicFusion

Disney's wonderful world of Color show

I would imagine this is going to be an outdoor environment that lights up at night... it will also be used as a segue into Disney's Wonderful world of Color. Animal Kingdom will now have a night show to compete with their other theme parks in Florida.

I'm very confident this will happen.

CinematicFusion

I also agree with everyone about the long term potential of Avatar the franchise. Disney is taking a risk here. Honestly I had forgotten about the movie until this news was brought up.

Having said that...the world of Pandora was awesome and it fits with the fantasy world beastly kingdom was supposed to transport us into.

They do this world right and it will be an amazing journey.
Rides I see here

1. A journey to the center of the earth style ride that transports the audience on a quest into the underbelly of Pandora on a quest to find unobtainium (the mineral they were trying to get in the film) You can just see the potential of a ride like this.

2. Cameron also wants a flying based attraction. Test audiences responded positive when flying through Pandora.

3. I think this brings a night time show to Animal Kindgom. I believe this whole world will light up at night. Much like the jungles of Pandora. This was another area were test audiences responded positive about.

4. That's why I believe they will bring Disney's Wonderful World of Color into the Animal Kingdom...or at least something like it.

This world has the potential to be amazing.

jt04

Ok, so from what I've read so far, we all agree that we want to see the glowing forests, and creatures of Pandora. I'd definitely love to see a big dark ride , a mix of JTCOT, 20,000 Leagues, Mission Space, Soarin' and the HP ride at Universal, 3d glasses included. Also a huge walk through / interactive queue of Pandora's forest would be awesome. I'm thinking Mermaid Lagoon and Mysterious Island.

Me too. A series of elements that draw you into that world. Similar to the way the the hydrolators and omnimover brought you into the Living Seas originally but on a much much larger scale and with the latest technologies.

Yep that is what this calls for.

I think the post show for Spaceship Earth can also provide some inspiration. Again on a much larger (and more organic) scale of interactive elements.

Tigger2000

I haven't posted here in a while! But I am absolutely thrilled about this! I think it's a bit strange for me because I was looking forward to the movie for a ridiculous amount of time, then Leona Lewis (who is my favourite singer) was announced as the woman singing the Theme song, and now Disney are building it as part of Animal Kingdom? It's like 3 of my great loves all combined haha :ROFLOL:

Anyway, I haven't read through all the thread but I haven't heard anyone mention anything about the plotlines of the next two films - the first was based on the land Na'vi, who live in the forest and Hometree, but the next two are going to be based on the ones who are focused on the more marine side, and air side - so you'll have even more scope for attractions.

I definitely see this making Animal Kingdom a fantastic place to be at night, and will really freshen it up IMO. I look forward to seeing them do the bioluminescence! :D (I also agree about how amazing it would be to hear the soundtrack, I also was reminded of AK when I first heard it!)

Tip Top Club

I'm not sure where the person saying it's going behind Asia and getting rid of Rafiki's is getting their information.

First of all, Rafiki's is very important to the operation of the park from an Animal Standpoint, as Animal facilities are located all around it, so that would be extremly difficult.

Secondly, from what I've heard they want to use this opportunity to create a land bridge for it, instead of having to ride the train.

From what I've heard, this will be replacing Camp Minnie-Mickey, and FOTLK, the meet and greets, and possibly some other surprises will be going up to the north expansion pad to create a new area bridging the gap between Africa, Asia, and Rafiki's Planet Watch.

That seems completely logical to me.

As for things they should be doing to get the park ready. Get rid of the poachers scene in Kilimanjaro Safaris, and put the darn zebras back in. Fix show elements of Tough to be a Bug, Dinosaur, and Expedition Everest. Get a new, more spectacular Day Parade, and finally add a full service restaurant to the main park. (Tusker I think might be the answer to this, with the new Character lunch coming in in December)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm not sure where the person saying it's going behind Asia and getting rid of Rafiki's is getting their information.

First of all, Rafiki's is very important to the operation of the park from an Animal Standpoint, as Animal facilities are located all around it, so that would be extremly difficult.

Secondly, from what I've heard they want to use this opportunity to create a land bridge for it, instead of having to ride the train.

From what I've heard, this will be replacing Camp Minnie-Mickey, and FOTLK, the meet and greets, and possibly some other surprises will be going up to the north expansion pad to create a new area bridging the gap between Africa, Asia, and Rafiki's Planet Watch.

As for things they should be doing to get the park ready. Get rid of the poachers scene in Kilimanjaro Safaris, and put the darn zebras back in. Fix show elements of Tough to be a Bug, Dinosaur, and Expedition Everest. Get a new, more spectacular Day Parade, and finally add a full service restaurant to the main park. (Tusker I think might be the answer to this, with the new Character lunch coming in in December)
Logistically, I think the Camp MM site is the best location but every other pro has to go to the pad between Aisa and Africa. The area is larger, will not be visible from the front of the park, there is no water way to deal with and there is no need to demolish and rebuild existing structures.

I would much rather see them build Pandora in a place that gives them more room and creative options than the place that is a little easier for crowds to get to.

Tip Top Club

I don't know why people think the CMM pad will be visible from the front of the park. Can you see it from inside the park now? There's this amazing thing called Trees that are going to be necessary for this land anyway. I wouldn't be worried about visibility in the least.

jt04

He did not say it was closing he said it was being relocated to a larger facility. That makes sense as Disney may want to use these facilities as a model for conservation efforts globally. It could become less of a theme park attraction and more of a teaching facility. I would think one of Disney's goals would be making conservation as part of the environment and eventually unnecessary in an enclosed zoological park. But people need to be taught how to make that happen.

This is assuming the poster is accurate but so far nothing posted seems outrageous or unbelievable.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't know why people think the CMM pad will be visible from the front of the park. Can you see it from inside the park now? There's this amazing thing called Trees that are going to be necessary for this land anyway. I wouldn't be worried about visibility in the least.
At least half of space in that expansion pad is south of the tree line. There is nothing but grass and a thin row of trees between that tree line and the parking lot. It will be an issue.

jt04

I think most of us assume it will take structures on the scale of Soarin', Jurassic Park or TWWoHP, any one of which would overwhelm the entrance to DAK if placed on the CMM pad.

InsiderImagine

Everyone raises good points...but look at an aerial view of Camp Minnie-Mickey...

you will see that there is a certain amout of trees seperating the land from the parking lot.

the amount of trees they are putting in "pandora" is HUGE! the majority of these trees are going to be extremely tall and you will be able to see them from the parking lot if they decided to go to CM-M.

to fix this issue you are going to see that these trees being used in the land behind asia would block your view of Everest from "pandora".

to fix the the issue of seeing pandora from everest...they are building mountains behind everest so if you turn around and look you see the mountain range and not "pandora"

tdo has already figured out where this land is going and how to fix the sight-lines. however, the only issue is how to make this land COMPLETELY acceptable in the eyes of cameron. the imagineers are working very closely with james cameron and his team while they are working on the second and third film. every detail is being passed through his team to ensure everything is accurate.

as some of you have asked my sources are various people working around wdw. obviously, i can't give names but they are not bus drivers. lmao.

i haven't seen any concept art on pandora because this information is being locked for a huge announcement coming in the next few months. in the next few months you will see concept art and an annoucement of two attractions (maybe three) and two restaurants. one of them is definitely a table service. don't know if the other is or not.

fle and ake are the beginning of many amazing announcements and expansions coming to wdw. disney has realized that wdw has been neglected...with both of these expansions look for MAJOR refurbishments being done to rides who we have all thought to be neglected.

Kamikaze

I'm usually not "one of those", but what's your source? :shrug:

I highly doubt there is anyway to hide Everest from a land that will be directly behind it.

His source is in his own head.

He's a fake, ignore anything he says. He is claiming to know all these details when Staggs himself admits they don't even know where the actual land will be yet. If they did, they would have announced it, because thats a simple giveaway to say 'behind Asia'.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom