RSoxNo1

So, I posted this to Twitter yesterday and I'll repeat it here. There are new HDR projectors out right now that can be up to 100x brighter than what people are familiar with. I would not be surprised at all to see a version of these inside Flight of Passage. I suspect that's the big unknown with the land, if the screens are literally the best and the brightest it could be enough to anchor the land.

I know it's easy to simplify Flight of Passage to Soarin' on Steroids (a very lazy/simplified way of thinking) and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Cameron to hold Disney to a higher standard of picture quality.

rushtest4echo

So, I posted this to Twitter yesterday and I'll repeat it here. There are new HDR projectors out right now that can be up to 100x brighter than what people are familiar with. I would not be surprised at all to see a version of these inside Flight of Passage. I suspect that's the big unknown with the land, if the screens are literally the best and the brightest it could be enough to anchor the land.

I know it's easy to simplify Flight of Passage to Soarin' on Steroids (a very lazy/simplified way of thinking) and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Cameron to hold Disney to a higher standard of picture quality.

The projectors intended for Flight of Passage aren't ready yet. The ride will open with great looking Christie 4X4K rigs, but that's supposed to be swapped out later on for something more simple since the content is being mastered in 120fps. Not sure anyone will notice/care when that occurs though except geeks like us.

Last edited:

Bolt

IMG_7148.JPG

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think so. They've received some negative remarks on social media, but I think they look nice. Can't wait to see them (and Pandora) in person!

They're not... bad... but light blue and light purple aren't the best pairing with a dark burgundy/merlot.

If it was up to me, I'd pick up the bioluminescence with a neon blue with a dark khaki green base.

More like this:

upload_2017-4-24_16-36-57.png

britain

The projectors intended for Flight of Passage aren't ready yet. The ride will open with great looking Christie 4X4K rigs, but that's supposed to be swapped out later on for something more simple since the content is being mastered in 120fps. Not sure anyone will notice/care when that occurs though except geeks like us.

Why would they go through the trouble to swap out a superior projector with an inferior? Maybe I don't understand.

Casper Gutman

I don't think having a really, really good projector is a good defense against the "Soarin' on Steroids" argument - that would be the "steroids" part of the term.

Now augmented reality... that would be something new.

No Name

The ego strikes again! This land is being put on a higher pedestal than every other part of Walt Disney World.

While all other CMs wear WDW nametags, Pandora's CMs wear ACE nametags! A thematic improvement, you say? Perhaps for Pandora, but for the rest of the resort, I say, it's the opposite!

If they want to go this route, give Asia CMs nametags appropriate to Asia, and Liberty Square CMs nametags appropriate to Liberty Square, and future Toy Story Land CMs nametags appropriate to TSL, and... you get the deal. Apply this new theming benchmark across the entire resort.

By only applying it to certain lands, it isn't so much a thematic improvement as it is a thematic put-down to every other part of the resort.

Even a disrespect to Dino-Rama. And it aint easy to disrespect Dino-Rama.

------

On a more positive note, I actually like the costumes. While not at all what I expected, they seem to compliment the colors of the land nicely. The odd thing is that some of them look like tacky tourists rather than tour guides. But overall, they get a thumbs up from me.

Last edited:

mergatroid

The ego strikes again! This land is being put on a higher pedestal than every other part of Walt Disney World.

While all other CMs wear WDW nametags, Pandora's CMs wear ACE nametags! A thematic improvement, you say? Perhaps for Pandora, but for the rest of the resort, I say, it's the opposite!

If they want to go this route, give Asia CMs nametags appropriate to Asia, and Liberty Square CMs nametags appropriate to Liberty Square, and future Toy Story Land CMs nametags appropriate to TSL, and... you get the deal. Apply this new theming benchmark across the entire resort.

By only applying it to certain lands, it isn't so much a thematic improvement as it is a thematic put-down to every other part of the resort.

Even a disrespect to Dino-Rama. And it aint easy to disrespect Dino-Rama.

------

On a more positive note, I actually like the costumes. While not at all what I expected, they seem to compliment the colors of the land nicely. The odd thing is that some of them look like tacky tourists rather than tour guides. But overall, they get a thumbs up from me.

Wow, are people that upset about name tags (CM's I mean, not you)?

HairyChest

I wonder how people will see disney vs universal after this land opens as far as imagineers go. Will this land impress people compared to the amazing job universal imagineers did with hogsmeade/forbidden journey?

DisneyRoy

I wonder how people will see disney vs universal after this land opens as far as imagineers go. Will this land impress people compared to the amazing job universal imagineers did with hogsmeade/forbidden journey?

Personally, I don't think it will sway anyone. HP is great and that's all people will see or care about...until Star Wars Land opens. THEN (and only then) do I think opinion on that matter will change.

Casper Gutman

Personally, I don't think it will sway anyone. HP is great and that's all people will see or care about...until Star Wars Land opens. THEN (and only then) do I think opinion on that matter will change.

And by that point Harry Potter Land Part 3 and Nintendo Land will be opened or (more likely) soon to open and Uni's third gate will be under construction, so it's unlikely anything will be resolved. WDW will need to keep building - which is all good news for people who like theme parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom