im pretty sure thats the issue with the movie too lol.

That actually IS the issue with the movie. It's pretty (in 3D), but once you get past that the story is bland and banal.
And when you watch the movie without 3D...it looks like a cartoon.

and then James Cameron, right after the announcement of Avatar Land opening, comes out and says he is not going to release the new Avatar movie in 2018.

It's not supposed to be exciting.

There are different ways to excite people. There is "thrilling exciting" and "aesthetically exciting" and "scary exciting" which are all forms of exhilaration. This ride doesn't even exhilarating. Kind of like Figment's Imagination land. Once you ride through....you've seen it..time to move on.

And if they are marketing the ride they may want to show more of it. If they do not that hints to....there may not be that much to see.

flyerjab

That's what separates a theme park from a ride.
It's the entire experience.

Here's an experience for you. Look who we bumped into this morning at DAK!

IMG_6974.JPG

Rohde was getting a coffee at Starbucks!

MrHappy

I think Disney missed the mark with The Little Mermaid ride as well. There is a perfect opportunity for the giant Ursula animatronic which would have been a wonder to see. Then have her beaten and give the kiddies the resolution they need. Good defeats evil...just like the movie...and happily ever after. I think Disney doesn't do anything daring anymore for fear that one guest's child will be scared.
You're right that Mermaid missed. But it's because of budget cuts. The original concept was very cool. Somewhere, a helpful member posted the concept video. You'd actually go under the sea.

RandySavage

You're right that Mermaid missed. But it's because of budget cuts. The original concept was very cool. Somewhere, a helpful member posted the concept video. You'd actually go under the sea.

I don't think it missed because of budget cuts. The budget of the Mermaid in the video would likely have been 1/2 of the one that was built.

That video originally came with a Mermaid DVD and was for a completely different project than what came to MK/DCA. The video represents the original Tony Baxter/John Stone C-ticket darkride designed in the early 90s for Paris and revived a decade later when planning HKDL (which is when the on-ride video was produced).

MK's Mermaid came about because of DCA. The attraction was designed by Larry Nikolai to fit in the space available behind Golden Dreams' facade and then to be copy & pasted in MK's new Fantasyland.

It's interesting to imagine what the advantages/disadvantages of each, as the Baxter version, like the other FL darkrides would have contained zero AAs - only limited-motion animated figures and more scenic flats such as those you find in Pan or Snow White. It would have been zippier and probably more fun.

Nikolai's slow omnimover has the advantages of being longer, more relaxing and utilizing full Audio-Animatronics. I do think it really fumbled in its show-lighting design (an artform that seems to have been lost) in that many scenes point your field of view directly at exposed lighting rigs. That and its slowness exacerbates its static figures in a scene or two.

I still think Mermaid is a good addition to the MK.

The only E-ticket Mermaid ride planned for MK (that I've seen concept work for) was a LPS system (Hunny Hunt), that pre-dated Rasulo's New Fantasyland project by a couple years.

[connects this long post to Naavi river ride because they're both slow moving atmospheric attractions?]

truecoat

I don't think it missed because of budget cuts. The budget of the Mermaid in the video would likely have been 1/2 of the one that was built.

That video originally came with a Mermaid DVD and was for a completely different project than what came to MK/DCA. The video represents the original Tony Baxter/John Stone C-ticket darkride designed in the early 90s for Paris and revived a decade later when planning HKDL (which is when the on-ride video was produced).

MK's Mermaid came about because of DCA. The attraction was designed by Larry Nikolai to fit in the space available behind Golden Dreams' facade and then to be copy & pasted in MK's new Fantasyland.

It's interesting to imagine what the advantages/disadvantages of each, as the Baxter version, like the other FL darkrides would have contained zero AAs - only limited-motion animated figures and more scenic flats such as those you find in Pan or Snow White. It would have been zippier and probably more fun.

Nikolai's slow omnimover has the advantages of being longer, more relaxing and utilizing full Audio-Animatronics. I do think it really fumbled in its show-lighting design (an artform that seems to have been lost) in that many scenes point your field of view directly at exposed lighting rigs. That and its slowness exacerbates its static figures in a scene or two.

I still think Mermaid is a good addition to the MK.

The only E-ticket Mermaid ride planned for MK (that I've seen concept work for) was a LPS system (Hunny Hunt), that pre-dated Rasulo's New Fantasyland project by a couple years.

[connects this long post to Naavi river ride because they're both slow moving atmospheric attractions?]

The under the sea part might have worked better if you were above it slightly not at ground level.

Capsin4

I do not exactly see any posts that say, "I hate it". Ill be there to visit shortly after Pandora opens and I am very excited, but at the same time, Im starting to wonder if the NRJ is anything more than Viper Wolves and the pink chandelier looking plant hanging from the ceiling? Is there any indication that there are additional layers of theme to go along with the forest aspect? A story perhaps? Im Hoping that there is more to it or they are not showing the highlight of the attraction in the previews.
Supposedly, the queue is a major part of the attraction. You explore the caves while being guided by the shaman and the river trip is more a part of the trip than the thing you do at the end of it. I think it's pretty well, speculated, guessimated and prognosticated (by those that know details) that the ride is basically more of what you see in the video with a single amazing AA at the end.Maybe some accompanying special effects. Details won't be missable in a couple months.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom