danlb_2000

Premium Member
They showed some art/diagrams that I think explains how they will achieve the "riding on a living banshee" thing. To me it seemed like you will straddle a kind of teched-out seat that has been (in story) developed as part of the Avatar program. You'll wear a set of goggles (looked like an enhanced, maybe active 3D headset that may also have speakers?) that will let you see what your Avatar sees. My guess is they may employ a lot of in-theater and seat based effects to give the illusion that you're also feeling/smelling whatever is happening to the Avatar. That's how you'll "feel the banshees breathing". Well played Iger, you lied without lying.

So it's sounding like the story of the ride is that you are riding a banshee simulator instead of it actually riding a real banshee.

flyerjab

If that is the case, I assume they are following in line with the concept behind the movie. Jake Sully never actually does any of the things he experiences in the movie - his avatar does. I am guessing that they will be playing with that concept and "tech" from the movie to allow us to fly through the jungles of Pandora. I guess that I never thought about that type of an approach before. If only I could see into the future like JT does I would have known all of this already.

I still think that I will love this ride regardless. What is the pixie dust equivalent from the Avatar universe? I think that I suffer from it at this point.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
So it's sounding like the story of the ride is that you are riding a banshee simulator instead of it actually riding a real banshee.
Well, the whole movie is about people simulating being in an avatar. It makes sense that the theming is that you're hooking into an avatar. Also, I'm sure James Cameron (and hopefully a few Imagineers too) cared deeply about not contradicting the story from the movie. I'm the movie you need the weird Navi hair tail braid thing to connect with the bamshee to ride it. Humans wouldn't be able to.

wdwgreek

They showed some art/diagrams that I think explains how they will achieve the "riding on a living banshee" thing. To me it seemed like you will straddle a kind of teched-out seat that has been (in story) developed as part of the Avatar program. You'll wear a set of goggles (looked like an enhanced, maybe active 3D headset that may also have speakers?) that will let you see what your Avatar sees. My guess is they may employ a lot of in-theater and seat based effects to give the illusion that you're also feeling/smelling whatever is happening to the Avatar. That's how you'll "feel the banshees breathing". Well played Iger, you lied without lying.
As someone who wears glasses and cannot see without them I hope these googles are large enough to go over my frames, some of the 3D glasses don't cover my frames fully. I hope its not all goggle or glasses based.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Well, the whole movie is about people simulating being in an avatar. It makes sense that the theming is that you're hooking into an avatar. Also, I'm sure James Cameron (and hopefully a few Imagineers too) cared deeply about not contradicting the story from the movie. I'm the movie you need the weird Navi hair tail braid thing to connect with the bamshee to ride it. Humans wouldn't be able to.

Human's can't breath on Pandora either, but they are either ignoring this in the land or providing and explanation for it.

Incomudro

For those of you who are calling the ride "cheap" and "lame" and Iger was "lying",
you are comparing what was in your head to . . . . what we still don't know.

Did you think you were going to individually ride a fully animated AA? All by yourself?

I wish we could see what was shown. We don't know . . . what we don't know.

Yeah, I don't understand.
I never believed each individual person would be literally on the back of some Banshee AA or seat.
This ride has to accommodate all types of riders, from various body sizes to various physical conditions.
and it has to load and unload them efficiently.
I would not sell this ride short - without actually seeing it.
I'm certain it's going to impress.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
As someone who wears glasses and cannot see without them I hope these googles are large enough to go over my frames, some of the 3D glasses don't cover my frames fully. I hope its not all goggle or glasses based.
Pick up a pair of these or something similar. Two of my three daughters are darn near blind with out glasses and the clip on passive 3D glasses we got with our LD 3D TV have worked with every 3D movie and attraction we have been on to date. The clip on versions are a thousand times easier to wear than galsses over your galsses.

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-CINEMA-...9743783&sr=8-1&keywords=lg+clip-on+3d+glasses

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They showed some art/diagrams that I think explains how they will achieve the "riding on a living banshee" thing. To me it seemed like you will straddle a kind of teched-out seat that has been (in story) developed as part of the Avatar program. You'll wear a set of goggles (looked like an enhanced, maybe active 3D headset that may also have speakers?) that will let you see what your Avatar sees. My guess is they may employ a lot of in-theater and seat based effects to give the illusion that you're also feeling/smelling whatever is happening to the Avatar. That's how you'll "feel the banshees breathing".

Sounds Dangerous.

Clowd Nyne

Seeing the AA and watching back about 5 times was like pinching myself to see if I were awake. It's movement is fluid and hopefully the standard for all other expansions. It reminded of of the first time I rode potc after they added jack. I did a double take at the barrel jack aa. Thought it was an actor at first. Anyway bravo

DinoInstitute

Human's can't breath on Pandora either, but they are either ignoring this in the land or providing and explanation for it.
Haven't they though? I could be completely wrong, but I thought pictures of construction showed some sort of Pandora plant-thing at the entrance that was supposed to let people breath? (Sorry I'm being really vague as I don't know the movie that well but I feel like I read something like that on here)

raymusiccity

I don't like being negative, but I'll be the first to say it... I'm betting this is the only full-size animatronic we're getting.

I would love to be wrong...

image.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom