Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Kamikaze

I read that same rumor this morning on i09 but it seems fairly implausible. I could go for starting shooting of part 2 slipping under the radar but not finishing.

Yeah thats where I got to it from as well. I doubt its 'finished' but its very possible they finished a lot of it and are just going to film both 2 and 3 at once.

mgpan

Oh yes the possibilities!!

I thought they might do this exact thing for Star Wars at DHS. Except you might have a few buildings containing different worlds.

If you are right it could work something like this....

(On a side note, from a maintenance perspective and cost perspective "warehousing" lands in this fashion is logistically brilliant and cutting edge IMO)

You could approach a portal that is geographically isolated from the "warehouse" which would have a high capacity ride system such as Star Tours. After exiting this introductory experience you would then proceed to a pedestrian tunnel or people mover system that brings you into the enclosed world you are imagining. No need for external theming/rockwork etc. No tourist planes or wildlife or weather to break the illusion. A fully immersive experience. And depending on the placement of the warehouse(s) it could look just like a warehouse as it would not be seen by guests anywhere in the park. This would save huge amounts of money which could be used on the indoor portions. That is how I would go about it.

I think this model could be so successful that it could inspire similar treatments for Star Wars (parts of which are practically installed already) LOTR, Star Trek, Narnia, Potter etc etc. The possibilities are endless.

Avatar can be the pioneer in an entirely new way of Imagineering the theme park experience.

IMO.

I agree with this. The "Star Tours" type simulator experience would allow you to depart Earth for the (hypersleep journey) to Pandora, enter from Earth through the left doors, introduction and spaceflight, then exit through the right doors at your destination. Exit this building into the basecamp for further exploration of the planet. I wish this had been done at Potterland with the Hogwarts Express, a train ride through a tunnel with show features and exiting into that area of the park instead of walking through gates and seeing the train just sitting there. The "flythrough" upon arriving at Pandora before landing would be a great "mood setter" and allow for a great beginning to the immersion and allow for some great scenes of the land you will be visiting. Others have posted the same sort of idea before me, so it seems that many would like to see this sort of introduction to the other attractions that you would experience after your journey.

JungleTrekFan

Either there should be an entirely new resort (TRR plot) or an expansion of AKL (CMM plot).

I think building a resort(s) on the TRR plot would actually be a great idea. it would fill that space up, I'm sure they could find a way to connect it to either Rafiki’s planet watch or asia.
They could easily build an entrance road connecting to western way.

And just because their is a maintenance area or backroad in the way doesn’t mean disney won’t build a path for guest their. Their are easy ways to disguise anything. ex. The Magic Kingdom Railroad passes over, under, and through backstage areas without ever ruining the magic.

bayoubelle

amuck, amuck, amuck
I can see a state of the art exciting family ride with thrills using a revolutionary ride system. And probably a C or D too.

Gotta keep up with the neighbours ;-)

I agree with a thrill ride idea. A kind of Forbidden Journey ride format would work well in an Avatar ride- just thrilling enough to appeal to both coaster junkies and those afraid of coasters.o

Scuttle

I always thought a boat ride like the one from POFQ/POR to DTD. I don't know the distance between POFQ/POR to DTD. There could be a walking path along that route as well like the walking path from DHS to Epcot Resorts. I think the DHS to Epcot Resorts is a 1.5 mile walk?

It can't be a 1.5 mile walk. It's only takes 15 minutes to walk to the boardwalk. I'd say more like a mile. Maybe the yacht and beach to HS is 1.5, but i doubt HS to the Boardwalk is. On google earth it looks about the same distance as AKL to the the front of AK.

Disaddict

I agree with this. The "Star Tours" type simulator experience would allow you to depart Earth for the (hypersleep journey) to Pandora, enter from Earth through the left doors, introduction and spaceflight, then exit through the right doors at your destination. Exit this building into the basecamp for further exploration of the planet. I wish this had been done at Potterland with the Hogwarts Express, a train ride through a tunnel with show features and exiting into that area of the park instead of walking through gates and seeing the train just sitting there. The "flythrough" upon arriving at Pandora before landing would be a great "mood setter" and allow for a great beginning to the immersion and allow for some great scenes of the land you will be visiting. Others have posted the same sort of idea before me, so it seems that many would like to see this sort of introduction to the other attractions that you would experience after your journey.

While this idea has merit for setting a mood it isn't very practical. You would have to restrict entrance to the land to only those that have ridden the ride and then make sure that the exit is only an exit and not allowing both flows of traffic.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

While this idea has merit for setting a mood it isn't very practical. You would have to restrict entrance to the land to only those that have ridden the ride and then make sure that the exit is only an exit and not allowing both flows of traffic.
SeaWorld Orlando does this with their Wild Arctic exhibit. Groups are broken in to land and air traveling groups. Air groups get the simulator, land groups watch the movie from the simulator in a stationary theater. Personally, I loved this approach. It really completed the illusion much like the Hydrolators did in the living seas. About the only problem I see is capacity especially during the first year or so when demand has the potential for being absolutely insane.

jumblue

I got it! The second entrance will feature an expansion of the Monorail! As there's no other way to reach this entrance, we can consider it officially confirmed. As for a resort to connect to, they'll airlift all the Aluani DVC rooms they couldn't sell...

:lookaroun

Pioneer Hall

SeaWorld Orlando does this with their Wild Arctic exhibit. Groups are broken in to land and air traveling groups. Air groups get the simulator, land groups watch the movie from the simulator in a stationary theater. Personally, I loved this approach. It really completed the illusion much like the Hydrolators did in the living seas. About the only problem I see is capacity especially during the first year or so when demand has the potential for being absolutely insane.

This was actually what I was thinking. If they want to somehow transport you they could do it in a way of the Hydrolators. It would need to be quick and it would have to be open to everyone. So simulators that have height requirements would be a no go.

KevinYee

Sam Worthington will scale Mount Everest in part 2, then rest up while taking in a safari in Kenya. In part 3, Sigourney Weaver must travel through time to battle a vicious carnotaurus, which of course she will defeat while wearing an Amp ("mech") suit. "Stay away from her, you B****!" will be her catchphrase.

devoy1701

Sam Worthington will scale Mount Everest in part 2, then rest up while taking in a safari in Kenya. In part 3, Sigourney Weaver must travel through time to battle a vicious carnotaurus, which of course she will defeat while wearing an Amp ("mech") suit. "Stay away from her, you B****!" will be her catchphrase.

thank you for these Avatar Land specifics! Really getting down to the nitty gritty there. :lol:

Scuttle

I got it! The second entrance will feature an expansion of the Monorail! As there's no other way to reach this entrance, we can consider it officially confirmed. As for a resort to connect to, they'll airlift all the Aluani DVC rooms they couldn't sell...

:lookaroun

No joke, this addition to AK gives us a very slight hope that they might think about a monorail expansion. I just wish there weren't so many issues with the system right now or they might actually consider it if AL turns out to be a huge hit.

Disaddict

Do you really think that this Pandora in AK will be sufficient motive to even consider adding AK to the monorail network? I doubt it. I don't think this is going to be that big. I loved the movie and am totally blown away that Disney is doing the Pandora in AK but I don't think that it would be enough of an issue to make them even have a monorail expansion cross their minds. I doubt very seriously if they had taken in the HP land that even that would have been enough. Though I could see them adding the Hogwarts Express service from the TTC (A nice platform 9 3/4 spot) to the park they would have put it in but I doubt very seriously if a new monorail service is even in the top 50 of the "Things We Gotta Get Fixed" list.

jt04

I found the whole "expansion to the east" to be the odd part of that post.

Connect to future resorts? On the east side? Never heard of such plans. How would it even be accessed? Between EE and the Nemo theatre?

All very suspect...

Actually I was thinking they might do this after looking at aerial photos earlier. There is a tremendous amount of space that would allow for Avatar and a new resort. Some sort of people mover system would allow for transportation not only from this new resort but also could easily be connected to the CSR (which has a certain DAK-esque/S.E.A. aesthetic to it. This might ensure occupanciy rates similar to what the EPCOT resorts have always maintained because of their location, location, location. :lol:

They can't even go too far West because of existing Non Disney resorts. I can kinda see them trying to connect Coronado. Build a new entrance like EPCOT has International Gateway. But then like you said how do you access it. If true I'm sure they'd find a way.

Agreed, this rumor seems very plausible.

Yes, you get exactly what I was saying. They should have done this with potter and Disney should do this with Star Wars. I have thought they could dedicate one Star Tours simulator as a 'portal' and have this be an added ticket experience. Something like the Discovery Cove experience at Sea World. Very personal but with limited capacity.

NextGen and RFID can solve this issue with a bit of creativity. One way in and one way out.

Agreed that this type immersion is an amazing possibility. I just think it is the future.

This was actually what I was thinking. If they want to somehow transport you they could do it in a way of the Hydrolators. It would need to be quick and it would have to be open to everyone. So simulators that have height requirements would be a no go.

An introductory experience has to be fairly tame as the hydrolators were. Kennedy Space Center has a simulator that does duplicate the g forces of a launch without being extreme. Something like this could work well as a way to transport people to Pandora. Imagine this.....you step into your spacecraft (about the capacity of Star Tours or slightly bigger) through some well themed access doors. What you don't see is that it is on a large flat bed truck or transport on rails. Then as the transporter departs the simulator performs the space journey with the cabin tilting back slightly to simulate g forces. The transporter could then pull into a very large enclosed building where you exit through doors (as you do at Star Tours) and into the world of Pandora. Just as you never see the mechanisms at Star Tours, you would never see the vehicle transporting you from 'earth' to 'pandora'. They could even use the existing train tracks. Now that is Armchair Imagineering! :lol:

misterID

So far we've listed Star Tours, Soarin and Mission:SPACE for Avatarland... I'll just go ahead and throw out Horizons, too. ;)

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

I always thought a DAK Antarctica land should be accessed through this kid of simulator-based experience that would involve a simulated ride on a ship through ice-choked waters and then a dog-sled ride to a base camp. But I'll take it as a way to get to Pandora instead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom