KingOfEpicocity

...I don't believe I ever said or insinuated that it was.

I was simply saying that this ride isn't going to be Soarin with an Avatar theme. Or it's not going to be like SDMT where it's a pretty safe bet. It's Disney stepping out of their comfort zone a bit.
Certainly yes in terms of scale. Disney has always been known to try to replicate yet out do the competition. (just look at DHS)

KingOfEpicocity

Always? Hardly.

More recently...one could argue that in certain situations.
DAK was built to compete with Busch. DHS with uni. even the boost of thrill rides was triggered from a wave of new thrill seekers. and now its single IP lands. didn't say Disney cant be original, they are in many ways. They just had to step up their game because they aren't alone in FL anymore. Honestly i would like to see them do their own thing, but Uni says otherwise.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I thought it was stated awhile back that you would be able to feel the movement of the banshee breathing while you ride. Which is interesting to see how the ride vehicles look. I'm surprised no information has leaked about the ride system. Is it a Disney original?

"The vessels that guests will ride upon will essentially be the banshees themselves, with bodies that move to mimic a breathing beast. The flying sequences will be brought to life through large video screens — similar to “Soarin'” — with vehicles moving with the 3D action inside a massive theater."

https://variety.com/2014/biz/news/avatar-ride-coming-to-life-at-disneys-animal-kingdom-1201376587/

dreamscometrue

When I rode Simpson's, I actually felt like I was going to die (well not literally ;)). I have never felt so uncomfortable on a ride in all my life. I was amazed I go off not covered in my lunch.
My daughter, her husband and 2 friends (all mid 20s and theme park veterans), made their first visit to Uni in 2014. These 'kids' can do roller coasters all day, Mission Space, etc., but all of them barely survived The Simpsons ride...they hated it and all felt horrible to the point where they ended their Uni visit after that ride, after only 6 hours at the parks.

jt04

"The vessels that guests will ride upon will essentially be the banshees themselves, with bodies that move to mimic a breathing beast. The flying sequences will be brought to life through large video screens — similar to “Soarin'” — with vehicles moving with the 3D action inside a massive theater."

https://variety.com/2014/biz/news/avatar-ride-coming-to-life-at-disneys-animal-kingdom-1201376587/
So I am picturing a Terminator 4D type show inside a Soarin theater while riding a mechanical bull suspended from the ceiling and hoping my 3D glasses stay on. Or something.

TomHendricks

My daughter, her husband and 2 friends (all mid 20s and theme park veterans), made their first visit to Uni in 2014. These 'kids' can do roller coasters all day, Mission Space, etc., but all of them barely survived The Simpsons ride...they hated it and all felt horrible to the point where they ended their Uni visit after that ride, after only 6 hours at the parks.
The ride was worse when it was Back to the Future, when I rode it as the Simpsons I thought it wasn't as bad.

dreamscometrue

The ride was worse when it was Back to the Future, when I rode it as the Simpsons I thought it wasn't as bad.
I never did get to experience that attraction, but you're not the first person to tell me that.

I hope Uni moves away somewhat from it's recent attraction to screens. If a person doesn't do well with those in general, it cuts down significantly on what attractions can be enjoyed. Even if not prone to motion sickness, blurry or out of sync screen based rides can wreak havoc. I've not always had good experiences on Forbidden Journey, which is normally fine for me. Some screen rides I do enjoy (Star Tours, Soarin', FJ), but physical sets only or screens with physical sets are my favorites. The Pandora attractions sound like a nice mix for my liking, and if the SWL 'Storm Trooper Escape and Chase' attraction really does have the combination of physical sets, some screens and trackless technology (like Mystic Manor), this could be my new fave attraction in North America. :)

Brian Swan

imho.. projector/screen desync, and dirty screens are the worst part of these kind of attractions.
If they can be kept in excellent shape.. I dont think anyone will have issues with getting dizzy.
I agree completely. The physiological term is "sensory mismatch". The vestibular (what you "feel") and visual (what you see) are interlinked in very complex ways in the brain. If the two inputs are not correctly synched, "motion sickness" can occur. Even tactical jet pilots, who have no problem at all during extreme dogfighting maneuvers sometimes experience mild motion sickness - or at least a feeling of discomfort - when doing flight simulators. It's termed "simulator sickness", and is an area of study in aviation medicine. Just as different people have different levels of tolerance to purely motion-based motion sickness, different people have different tolerances to sensory mismatch. And the two don't always go hand-in-hand.

Brian Swan

Attachments

• steepflyerback.jpg
    steepflyerback.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 197

HauntedMansionFLA

Back to Avatar Land ..................... I would like to see more out close pictures of the land. I'm curious to see how the boat ride will turn out. I'm hopeful it turns out to be as good as Pirates and Splash.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom