Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
One thing I am curious about with this project is the use of AAs. I know that Cameron, some time ago, commented on the 64 axes-of-motion for the Na'vi faces alone and that the AAs in this expansion will be game-changing.

Beyond the Na'vi, I am wondering about the animals that inhabit Pandora. Does anyone remember when someone posted a video that showed free-walking animal designed AAs. A guy was walking one and it was walking beside him with such life-like motions it was stunning. At one point he kicked it and it lost its balance but managed to steady itself. It was so real looking it was bizarre. That type of tech could be used to full effect in a land like this to really match the walking trails in Africa and Asia. I am really hoping that technology makes its way into Pandora.
There have been a number of companies, including Disney, that have done free roaming animatronics. The biggest problem is they are simply not durable and dependable enough to deal with the rigors of being on stage for 8-16 hours per day. They are seriously awesome when they work, but they are as dependable as a $2 Rolex.

Puppeteering is still the best option for a theme park environment.

misterID

Is it only going to be the E-ticket Banshee ride and the boat ride? I think there should be one more ride, especially considering it's an 11-12 acre expansion
There was originally a launch coaster planned with the Banshee and boat ride that was scrapped, unfortunately.:(

BrianLo

Are they building any new restaurants in Pandora?

Yes, there is a mess hall of sorts in the old human bunker. Hopefully it's not too utilitarian.

They've also hinted at local Pandoran delicacies in the D23 video. We really have no indication if there could be a 'Na'vi' restaurant or not. A Na'vi table service and a quick service in the bunker would certainly make for a well rounded land.

Disneyhead'71

Feliz Na'vidad?
Is that anything like Felicia Na'vidaddy?
Yes, there is a mess hall of sorts in the old human bunker. Hopefully it's not too utilitarian.

They've also hinted at local Pandoran delicacies in the D23 video. We really have no indication if there could be a 'Na'vi' restaurant or not. A Na'vi table service and a quick service in the bunker would certainly make for a well rounded land.
I believe the table service will be just outside of Pandora..

doctornick

My gut feeling (and also with hints from these boards) is that the mess hall will be an enclosed counter service and the only major dining in the area. Wouldn't be surprised to see a smaller scale counter service (or at least snack cart level place) more south, like near the boat ride.

zooey

My gut feeling (and also with hints from these boards) is that the mess hall will be an enclosed counter service and the only major dining in the area. Wouldn't be surprised to see a smaller scale counter service (or at least snack cart level place) more south, like near the boat ride.
Could be why they beefed up, no pun intended, the Africa offerings if pandora isn't going to have much to offer food wise. I'm cool with that, a food cart would really stand out theme wise. Now, year later, my guess is ops will have already put some kind of cart or kiosk in there to sell more...

Next Big Thing

Could be why they beefed up, no pun intended, the Africa offerings if pandora isn't going to have much to offer food wise. I'm cool with that, a food cart would really stand out theme wise. Now, year later, my guess is ops will have already put some kind of cart or kiosk in there to sell more...
Well they are also building the sit-down restaurant that will sit just outside of the Avatar entrance.

flyerjab

Although it very well could happen this way, I have some doubts about that. Keep in mind that the former army camp buildings that have been abandoned have now been taken over by the Alpha Centauri Expeditions company. If it is their intent to lure people into traveling to Pandora, I would assume that they will want to have some offerings for the people that are visiting Pandora beyond the stylish offerings of a basic army mess hall. It would not surprise me at all if this mess hall has been completely transformed into a much nicer place for visitors to eat. I can still see the QS during the day and TS at night concept. Also, maybe the huge mess hall is the QS and one of the other structures would be a smaller "upscale" TS location. I still think that this park needs at least one more TS location aside from RFCafe, Tusker House, Yak and Yeti and whatever is being built behind Pizzafari.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

I still think that this park needs at least one more TS location aside from RFCafe, Tusker House, Yak and Yeti and whatever is being built behind Pizzafari.
Definitely needs at least one more, would be nice if we get one with Avatar, but i'm not convinced yet. I hardly consider RFCafe a DAK TS simply bc 1.) It's all the way at the front of the park and 2.) It's not even technically IN the park.

I can definitely see them using any remaining water-front locations near ROL for TS. Behind Flame Tree is a possibility (i think).

twebber55

Although it very well could happen this way, I have some doubts about that. Keep in mind that the former army camp buildings that have been abandoned have now been take over by the Alpha Centauri Expeditions company. If it is their intent to lure people into traveling to Pandora, I would assume that they will want to have some offerings for the people that are visiting Pandora beyond the stylish offerings of a basic army mess hall. It would not surprise me at all if this mess hall has been completely transformed into a much nicer place for visitors to eat. I can still see the QS during the day and TS at night concept. Also, maybe the huge mess hall is the QS and one of the other structures would be a smaller "upscale" TS location. I still think that this park needs at least one more TS location aside from RFCafe, Tusker House, Yak and Yeti and whatever is being built behind Pizzafari.
and dont forget they make more money with a TS than QS
right now everything i ve seen seems to be the right call in terms of DAK expansion i have no reason to doubt their future choices on this as well

flyerjab

Definitely needs at least one more, would be nice if we get one with Avatar, but i'm not convinced yet. I hardly consider RFCafe a DAK TS simply bc 1.) It's all the way at the front of the park and 2.) It's not even technically IN the park.

I can definitely see them using any remaining water-front locations near ROL for TS. Behind Flame Tree is a possibility (i think).

Agree on the RFCafe point. I only include it because the current list of TS in DAK looks meager at best without it.

Next Big Thing

Agree on the RFCafe point. I only include it because the current list of TS in DAK looks meager at best without it.
Hopefully we see another project for DAK not too far down the road, whether it be an expansion and a new continent (Australia?... or they could really stick it to Sea World and do Antarctica right...) or re-doing the Chester/Hester area into something that fits the quality of the rest of the park.

Epcot definitely needs help after DHS, but DAK is still gonna need some love in the meantime if they really plan on keeping this park open at night.

doctornick

RFC is accessible from both inside and outside the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom