AVATAR land construction progress

flyerjab

Happened to be in the neighborhood...
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The detailing of the rock on the above photo is incredible.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hopefully we are within a year of this opening. Was speaking to a cast member in Tiffins about this (and if Tiffins is within your budget you are crazy if you don't go). I was told many get to walk by the construction zone and can see the full extent of this project mad it develops. This individual said that they wished the park visitors could see everything beyond the small area that we see because the scope is incredible and the care to detail is tremendous.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You don't know that Avatar has a non screen based ride. You're assuming the boat ride doesn't. I wouldn't assume that at all. I bet it winds up having some screens somewhere in the midst of the real scenes. There's a lot they can do in there with them.

The building for the boat ride is pretty small so I am guessing that they will use screens in the background to give it a greater feeling of size.

twebber55

Happened to be in the neighborhood...
View attachment 145479

View attachment 145480

View attachment 145481
View attachment 145482
View attachment 145484
The detailing of the rock on the above photo is incredible.
View attachment 145485
View attachment 145486
View attachment 145487
Hopefully we are within a year of this opening. Was speaking to a cast member in Tiffins about this (and if Tiffins is within your budget you are crazy if you don't go). I was told many get to walk by the construction zone and can see the full extent of this project mad it develops. This individual said that they wished the park visitors could see everything beyond the small area that we see because the scope is incredible and the care to detail is tremendous.
hey thanks @flyerjab
looks like scaffolding is coming down on big mtn that really was the original mtn

RSoxNo1

I think the issue is Universals screen based rides all seem the norm now-a-days. It is all they build... Yes Disney is building a screen-based attraction for Avatar... But Cars Land has no screen based rides... New Fantasyland has no screen based rides (quality of the rides they built aside), Avatar is getting a non screen based ride as well..

It's not necessarily a pass... it's just that the level of reliance is different. We can see that universal can create effective attraction elements without screens (forbidden journey), so we want to see more of that... But every attraction in the future that is currently being built is.. screen based.
There is nothing wrong with screen based rides, but if that's all you do it gets tedious. It's the same argument as IP based rides vs original concepts. There needs to be a healthy mixture of ride types.

RSoxNo1

Disney is moving towards screens as well or have you not noticed the new Pirates ride in Shanghai? The River Journey could be using similar tech to that (yes, even those oh so terrible dreaded screens) and both Star Wars rides will have screens as well. Here's a fun fact based what I've seen/read as well.

AAs in Kong: 11 (4 in the ride, 2 in the queue, one in each of the 5 vehicles)

AAs in Shanghai Pirates: 4 in the ride

F&F and Fallon most likely won't have AAs but Nintendo is rumored to be more physical than screen based. I'm at the point where I just want great rides. If it uses screens very effectively I don't care. They're able to pull off things not possible with a set.
Again, there's a mixture of screens with other components. By themselves, screens aren't bad. They are clearly an effective story telling mechanism for a ride.

The problem is Universal Creative has fallen in love with screens much in the same way Disney Imagineering falls in live with certain ride systems. Each individual ride is very good, but when you do them all on the same day you get screen fatigue.
Do we have any idea what the capacity of the avatar rides will be? Are we taking pirates for the boat ride and soarin x2 for FOP?

FOP will really depend on how the banshee seating works. The stock Vekoma flight simulator can do either 90 or 160 passengers depending on the configuration. So the theoretical capacity will be that times 4 time cycles per hour. But, it's likely they will not use the stock seating so that will change the numbers.

When the original blueprints were leaked I figured with an 8 minute cycle time the capacity would be similar to Soarin' with two theaters. Having said that it's entirely possible the seating is totally different than what's represented on the blueprints and that the cycle time is more or less than 8 minutes. There are too many variables at this point to definitively say what the capacity will be.

For the boat ride, even if it's shorter, the capacity should be on par with Shanghai's pirates assuming it is using the same ride system.

JohnWD

I am getting sick of Disney's over reliance on animatronics. When are we going to go back to live actors. ;)
I get the sarcasm! But the Stormtroopers at DHS and their show is phenomenal in my opinion. This is what I expect in SWL - actors making the Star Wars universe come alive. (No reason to zing me again about parroting Disney marketing, but if it makes you feel better, have at it.). At DL HM they originally had a live actor that would scare you to death (eliminated because too scary if I remember). Maybe Avatar will have some actors too.

Rodan75

This whole thread has devolved into silliness. There is a valid debate about screens and show buildings...but instead of debating folks are just engaging in a ing match. Both Uni and Disney have both proved recently that they are capable of building immersive attractions that utilize screens, animatronics and actors, do we really need to count the screens and animatronics in each ride to see which one is more innovative. It is just silly.

Mike S

This whole thread has devolved into silliness. There is a valid debate about screens and show buildings...but instead of debating folks are just engaging in a ****ing match. Both Uni and Disney have both proved recently that they are capable of building immersive attractions that utilize screens, animatronics and actors, do we really need to count the screens and animatronics in each ride to see which one is more innovative. It is just silly.
My counting wasn't to make that specific point. It was to show that Kong isn't any worse than Pirates. Both look great imo. I'm getting tired of this debate as well and even told people to stop in my dedicated Kong thread. Let's get back to Avatar. I'm very excited to see the progress on it with every photo update :)

doctornick

Again, there's a mixture of screens with other components. By themselves, screens aren't bad. They are clearly an effective story telling mechanism for a ride.

The problem is Universal Creative has fallen in love with screens much in the same way Disney Imagineering falls in live with certain ride systems. Each individual ride is very good, but when you do them all on the same day you get screen fatigue.

Thank you. This has always been my thought as well. Uni in Florida has an excellent roster of rides between their two parks, but outside of their roller coasters the headliners tend to be similar in structure and execution which is often expressed as being too screen heavy. I thin part of that is not just the use of screens but how they are used where you have the "something goes horribly wrong" storyline and you see something attacking your vehicle, you get moved around and sometimes with some physical effects (water, fire, wind). It can feel a little repetitive when riding all of them.

One of the huge selling points of the castle parks (and a big reason I think they are so popular) for Disney is that there is a huge variety of quality experiences within them. Thrill rides (yes, generally on the mild side of that scale), immersive slow moving rides with music and huge showpieces, small "cute" dark rides, slower paced theme-enhancing rides, AA shows, all coupled with great large scale entertainment (fireworks, parades) which creates a very balanced experience with something to appeal to everyone.

To bring this back to the topic at hand, the new additions for Pandora are perfect in this way. What is being added, at least from what we know? A "flying ride" using screen based simulation tech and having some degree thrill level. And a boat ride which is calmer, but using a new ride system allowing greater movement to enhance the effects. Both of these will be quite different from the other (admittedly few) rides in the park. We also will have a new nighttime entertainment unique to the park. All this is a great way of complimenting the existing offerings there. Too much of any type of experience in one setting is not ideal which this expansion seems to be avoiding.

Steel City Magic

Has anyone seen any pictures of the jagged looking rocks in what looks like the entrances to one of the rides ? They are right in the middle of show building in the model pictures.
Since this was ignored for 5 pages and instead bickering about mountains on sticks ensued, I'll drop this here. I too am interested. Anybody catch a glimpse of these yet?

matt9112

Yes! That's what I really like about the approach they're supposedly doing. When you're close enough and have to look up, the thick curved vine will be covered as to not give it away. But when you're far from it, it'll look like a vine. And I think that illusion might just work!

they could have ommitted them....looks like crap

Skibum1970

Thank you. This has always been my thought as well. Uni in Florida has an excellent roster of rides between their two parks, but outside of their roller coasters the headliners tend to be similar in structure and execution which is often expressed as being too screen heavy. I thin part of that is not just the use of screens but how they are used where you have the "something goes horribly wrong" storyline and you see something attacking your vehicle, you get moved around and sometimes with some physical effects (water, fire, wind). It can feel a little repetitive when riding all of them.

One of the huge selling points of the castle parks (and a big reason I think they are so popular) for Disney is that there is a huge variety of quality experiences within them. Thrill rides (yes, generally on the mild side of that scale), immersive slow moving rides with music and huge showpieces, small "cute" dark rides, slower paced theme-enhancing rides, AA shows, all coupled with great large scale entertainment (fireworks, parades) which creates a very balanced experience with something to appeal to everyone.

To bring this back to the topic at hand, the new additions for Pandora are perfect in this way. What is being added, at least from what we know? A "flying ride" using screen based simulation tech and having some degree thrill level. And a boat ride which is calmer, but using a new ride system allowing greater movement to enhance the effects. Both of these will be quite different from the other (admittedly few) rides in the park. We also will have a new nighttime entertainment unique to the park. All this is a great way of complimenting the existing offerings there. Too much of any type of experience in one setting is not ideal which this expansion seems to be avoiding.

I completely agree with this. We just came back from a trip to both UNI and WDW. I love going to IOA and Forbidden Journey was a lot of fun. However, my wife commented that she liked Disney because the simulation rides (as she referred to them) at UNI all felt the same. I cannot wait for Avatar to open. I just wish that Disney would add some more rides and focus a little less on the immersiveness. The immersive quality is great but it is nice to actually have something to ride. That said, I really want to experience Avatar at night when the walkways light up and the lighting effects are running. I think that most parks, especially at WDW, gain so much more ambience and magic at night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom