AVATAR land construction progress

Mike S

The biggest problem Gringott's has is that it uses a new ride system where the end result is too similar to Spider-Man and Transformers. Forbidden Journey uses a new ride system that is unlike anything else. Screen based attractions are fine, but Gringotts feels a bit too much like more of the same after Spidey and Transformers.

If they had done a bit more with the track (like a sideways drop or something else) it would have helped. Basically anything to further differentiate it from the others. By itself though, Gringotts is still a fantastic ride and from simply a scope standpoint better than Little Mermaid or Mine Train.

Having said that, ride preference is opinion based. You might like one intellectual property over another. One ride might make you sick. There are any number of reasons to like one ride over another but I think it's fair to say that the expectations and execution of Gringotts was higher and the scope was larger than Little Mermaid and/or Mine Train. You're comparing an E-ticket to two D tickets.
I don't really compare Gringotts to SM/TF but this situation is exactly what I'm fearing for Kong and F&F but on a bigger scale as both rides will have a 360 scene and F&F is rumored to use a similar ride vehicle as Kongs. From what I'm reading Kong sounds fantastic, right up there with the two big HP rides, but there's not a lot of hype for F&F from insiders on OU. One poster there speculated on what the ride could be like based on Hollywood's tram tour and it doesn't sound very exciting at all. It's not based on inside info btw and I put it in spoilers to not clog the thread.
Freak on OU: So here's a quick rundown on how I think this ride is going to go (Fron the two extra scenes being added to USH's)

Scene 1 will be the vehicle driving through SF streets. Here we'll get the transmission that Shaw is after is and we'll turn into the garage.

Scene 2 will be the garage just like Hollywood's where Roman will flirt with the women in the third row (ugh).

Scene 3 will be the party scene.

Scene 4 will be the 360 room.

Scene 5 will be driving through the aftermath of the finals before being unloaded.

Sounds boring but that's how I think it will go unfortunately
To bring this post closer to the threads topic if Disney really does great things with Avatar they could easily have the best new offerings next year, Volcano Bay notwithstanding.

wdwfan757

I don't really compare Gringotts to SM/TF but this situation is exactly what I'm fearing for Kong and F&F but on a bigger scale as both rides will have a 360 scene and F&F is rumored to use a similar ride vehicle as Kongs. From what I'm reading Kong sounds fantastic, right up there with the two big HP rides, but there's not a lot of hype for F&F from insiders on OU. One poster there speculated on what the ride could be like based on Hollywood's tram tour and it doesn't sound very exciting at all. It's not based on inside info btw and I put it in spoilers to not clog the thread.
Freak on OU: So here's a quick rundown on how I think this ride is going to go (Fron the two extra scenes being added to USH's)

Scene 1 will be the vehicle driving through SF streets. Here we'll get the transmission that Shaw is after is and we'll turn into the garage.

Scene 2 will be the garage just like Hollywood's where Roman will flirt with the women in the third row (ugh).

Scene 3 will be the party scene.

Scene 4 will be the 360 room.

Scene 5 will be driving through the aftermath of the finals before being unloaded.

Sounds boring but that's how I think it will go unfortunately
To bring this post closer to the threads topic if Disney really does great things with Avatar they could easily have the best new offerings next year, Volcano Bay notwithstanding.

Isn't FF just going to be a clone of the one at US-Hollywood? (I.e. its going to be terrible.)

No Name

DSC_00991.jpg

Is this any better? Look over on the right.

LOL x100 :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: I agree that it's bad that the showbuilding here is visible... but that aint Diagon Alley.

I don't like to make assumptions, but all of the evidence leads me to believe that you've never been to Universal. At least you've never been to Diagon Alley, since you don't know what it is.

Diagon Alley is the most immersive theme park land I've ever walked into. You may disagree, and that'd be totally fine... if you'd been there before. It's really annoying to suddenly find out that you've been bashing WWoHP (that's "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter," which is the collective name of the Potter lands) without having actually visited.

At the very least, if you are unwilling to buy a ticket to Universal, you should pay more attention to what is and what's going on there. They have this new Kong ride opening up. Amazing, giant animatronic (that actually works!) and a truly bold and unique queue. But the ride has screens, and since screens make a ride bad in your mind (even when effectively mixed with physical AAs and scenes), you will probably dislike Kong. Without having ridden it. What can I do...

EDIT: I forgot, screens only make the ride bad if it's at Universal. Flight of Passage will get a pass, I assume.

Last edited:

KingOfEpicocity

LOL x100 :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: I agree that it's bad that the showbuilding here is visible... but that aint Diagon Alley.

I don't like to make assumptions, but all of the evidence leads me to believe that you've never been to Universal. At least you've never been to Diagon Alley, since you don't know what it is.

Diagon Alley is the most immersive theme park land I've ever walked into. You may disagree, and that'd be totally fine... if you'd been there before. It's really annoying to suddenly find out that you've been bashing WWoHP (that's "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter," which is the collective name of the Potter lands) without having actually visited.

At the very least, if you are unwilling to buy a ticket to Universal, you should pay more attention to what is and what's going on there. They have this new Kong ride opening up. Amazing, giant animatronic (that actually works!) and a truly bold and unique queue. But the ride has screens, and since screens make a ride bad in your mind (even when effectively mixed with physical AAs and scenes), you will probably dislike Kong. Without having ridden it. What can I do...

EDIT: I forgot, screens only make the ride bad if it's at Universal. Flight of Passage will get a pass, I assume.

I've been to uni since the opening of both lands. I just didn't really remember any of it because none of it really left a mark on me. Also, I think Kong is a great AA, the ride has too many screens but oh well. As for FOP, you can assume a lot about my opinions for a ride that hasn't even opened yet.

Disney Analyst

I think the issue is Universals screen based rides all seem the norm now-a-days. It is all they build... Yes Disney is building a screen-based attraction for Avatar... But Cars Land has no screen based rides... New Fantasyland has no screen based rides (quality of the rides they built aside), Avatar is getting a non screen based ride as well..

It's not necessarily a pass... it's just that the level of reliance is different. We can see that universal can create effective attraction elements without screens (forbidden journey), so we want to see more of that... But every attraction in the future that is currently being built is.. screen based.

KingOfEpicocity

I think the issue is Universals screen based rides all seem the norm now-a-days. It is all they build... Yes Disney is building a screen-based attraction for Avatar... But Cars Land has no screen based rides... New Fantasyland has no screen based rides (quality of the rides they built aside), Avatar is getting a non screen based ride as well..

It's not necessarily a pass... it's just that the level of reliance is different. We can see that universal can create effective attraction elements without screens (forbidden journey), so we want to see more of that... But every attraction in the future that is currently being built is.. screen based.

Kong... F&F... Jimmy Fallon...

DisneyRoy

You don't know that Avatar has a non screen based ride. You're assuming the boat ride doesn't. I wouldn't assume that at all. I bet it winds up having some screens somewhere in the midst of the real scenes. There's a lot they can do in there with them.

KingOfEpicocity

You don't know that Avatar has a non screen based ride. You're assuming the boat ride doesn't. I wouldn't assume that at all. I bet it winds up having some screens somewhere in the midst of the real scenes. There's a lot they can do in there with them.
It's still better than most of the ride taking place on a screen.

Mike S

Disney is moving towards screens as well or have you not noticed the new Pirates ride in Shanghai? The River Journey could be using similar tech to that (yes, even those oh so terrible dreaded screens) and both Star Wars rides will have screens as well. Here's a fun fact based what I've seen/read as well.

AAs in Kong: 11 (4 in the ride, 2 in the queue, one in each of the 5 vehicles)

AAs in Shanghai Pirates: 4 in the ride

F&F and Fallon most likely won't have AAs but Nintendo is rumored to be more physical than screen based. I'm at the point where I just want great rides. If it uses screens very effectively I don't care. They're able to pull off things not possible with a set.

sedati

Disney is moving towards screens as well or have you not noticed the new Pirates ride in Shanghai? The River Journey could be using similar tech to that (yes, even those oh so terrible dreaded screens) and both Star Wars rides will have screens as well. Here's a fun fact based what I've seen/read as well.

AAs in Kong: 11 (4 in the ride, 2 in the queue, one in each of the 5 vehicles)

AAs in Shanghai Pirates: 4 in the ride

I think you missed the fighting crab AAs in pirates.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom